British offensive in Afghanistan hits tipping point

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jul 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. British offensive in Afghanistan hits 'tipping point'

The key British offensive against the Taliban in Afghanistan has reached the "tipping point" with enemy resistance in Helmand beginning to falter, a senior commander said.

By Thomas Harding in Helmand
    Published: 10:00PM BST 10 Jul 2009

Despite the growing list of British fatalities, troops are continuing to push the enemy back on operation Panthers Claw that is seen a "crucial" operation for the security of Helmand.
    The fighting had been "exceptionally arduous" with the threat from the Taliban roadside bombs "enormous", Lt Col Simon Banton told The Daily Telegraph.

Related Articles
    Afghanistan: eight soldiers killed in a single day
    British death toll in Afghanistan reaches 100
    Government backs Taliban talks
    Brown: UK troops in Afghanistan for decade
    Helmand: Operation Panther's Claw puts British troops in close combat with Taliban
    "But I think that the tipping point is about now where the enemy resistance is more disjointed," the officer said, adding that scores of the Taliban had been killed in the battle that has lasted three weeks.
    The force of 700 British soldiers, accompanied by Afghan and Danish troops, is fighting in extremely difficult conditions with mines and booby-traps a constant threat. In countryside criss-crossed by irrigation ditches, thick compound walls and dense vegetation British troops struggle with 110lbs of kit in temperatures of 46oC.
    More on the link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/5797872/British-offensive-in-Afghanistan-hits-tipping-point.html

2. Does this mean I don't have to go back next year then? :)

3. Lets hope you don't. The next few months will be 'Key'

4. You'll be back. The only question is how much fighting you'll have to do.

5. Let us hope you do not have to.

With Russia now agreeing to let transports use their airspace, the big coalition push, radical groups disassociating themselves from Al-Qaeda, the Taliban, and the Pakistani push, this may, and i mean may if the politicians don't bottle it, be a time to crush the terrorists to such a degree they will be operationally non effective.

I just hope this is so, and our brave young lads will not have died for nought.

OC

6. So we're fcuked, then. :evil: