• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

"British Navy captain relieved of command after 'mutiny

British Navy captain relieved of command after 'mutiny': report

LONDON (AFP) - The captain of a British Royal Navy warship returning from service in Iraq has been relieved of his post after a near-mutiny by crew members, a report said.

Commander David Axon was ordered to leave frigate HMS Somerset at Gibraltar, the British port territory on the southern tip of Spain, as the vessel was returning home from the Gulf, the Sun newspaper said in its Tuesday edition.

The move by Navy commanders happened after junior officers complained about Axon's regime on the ship, which the Sun said included allegations of bullying and intimidation.

Although the Type 23 frigate was only a few days' sailing from home, it was decided that there was sufficient risk of mutiny that the captain should be removed.

Axon was accused of a brutal management style in which he ridiculed and belittled more junior officers, the newspaper said.

A Navy spokesman told the newspaper that the captain had left the ship.

"There were allegations that Commander Axon's behaviour fell below the standards required. These relate to equal opportunities matters," the spokesman was quoted as saying, without giving further details.

The Somerset, which has a crew of 185, has just completed a six-month mission protecting Iraq's oil infrastructure from attack by insurgents, the Sun added.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041213/323/f8hob.htm

Makes you wonder how he made captin in the first place, or the full circumstances behind it

Makes me wonder why a bad news military story should be given top headline on the BBC when the govt are about to announce cuts....

ViroBono said:
Makes me wonder why a bad news military story should be given top headline on the BBC when the govt are about to announce cuts....
And further deployments :? :? :? :?

Sabre said:
Makes you wonder how he made captin in the first place, or the full circumstances behind it
If it's anything like I've seen the army handle piss poor OC's who have been posted out from their commands early then he'll be promoted soon.

Ah but the topical word "bullying" is mentioned. I think in the coming months any officer with that little tag next to his name directly of indirectly involved in allegations will have a hard time. hopefully there will not be a knee jerk reaction to all allegations and at least let the Officer plead his case then just to be sacked

The truly astonishing thing about this story is that he was apparently not relieved of his command under normal Naval disciplinary procedures, but following an "equal opportunities" investigation.

The mind really does boggle.

Brucefeller said:
The truly astonishing thing about this story is that he was apparently not relieved of his command under normal Naval disciplinary procedures, but following an "equal opportunities" investigation.

The mind really does boggle.
Not really. All government departments have to investigate any apparent breach of Equal Ops ('Diversity Policy'); and a firm line is taken, particularly these days, following so many high profile stories about racism and sexism.

A strict regime however, is just a strict regime; if the guy's a bastarrd he's untouchable if he's a bastarrd to everyone! It's only when it's singled out to individuals that it becomes bullying.

The guy won't get over this even if it is unfounded as the mud will stick. But I have to agree with Speedy, we've all seen cases where complete f@#king chisellers whose troops completely hate the sight of their very shadows (better stop there!) emerge from this sort of thing unscathed and get promoted or shifted to better jobs because they have the right career profile.

Unless it's a secret ploy to get ratings to leave the service in the name of 'efficiencies', they should f#ck this guy off to somewhere where he won't have to deal with other human beings.

Everybody offends easily and complains at the drop of a beret. This may be justified, it may not.

Now that the anti bully mechanism is in place it seems to be the first resort of every wuss and non hacker who doesn't like the old man ( or any other Officer, Warrant Officer, NCO, Senior or Leading Rate) because he doesn't accept p1ss poor performance and attitudes. Allegations of bullying are always taken seriously.

The 'bully alarm' goes off at the slightest offence and it's always the accused that is in fear of his job/future prospects. Proving malice or over reaction on the part of the accuser is difficult and with Senior Officers /COs often buying into PC nonsense, probably bottom of the list of possible outcomes. I know of a case where a real bully in mid mindless unjustifiable rant was slapped down verbally by a robust subordinate. Bully went to the old man with an allegation of bullying. While the accused was sweating his future, the real bully was smug as fcuk. The 'case' was sorted out with humiliating apology from the hero of the underdog. The bully won.

Sir Sir, that Argentinian Skyhawk just dropped a bomb on me. Big bully. I wish to state a complaint.

From the BBC website:

The Ministry of Defence conceded the decision, taken after an "equal opportunities investigation", was a highly unusual one
It is understood there are no allegations of racist, sexist or physical intimidation.
So has he committed a New Liabour thought-crime?

What about Blunktw@tt and his "liaisons" with one of his staff in his department two years ago?

Some are more equal than others...

chimera

LE
Of course we all know that the burden of proof is reversed in an equal opportunities investigation case - i.e. you are guilty until proven innocent...

So if there are no sexual, racial or physical intimidation implications, then what is he being bent over the barrel for??? :?

Has he tried to quash a mutiny on board and Mr. Christian has decided that seeing as he couldn't do it in the good olde fashioned way, he'd take the Captain to the Equal Opportunities Commision and do it that way instead???

The mind boggles....it really does

I'm casting my benefit of the doubt with the Navy Chiefs. This action is rare and even with the increasing PC pressure these guys don't just relieve a Captain of his ship, at sea for no reason. I bet there is a ship load of sh*t going on here and not just with a single junior officer. If the chiefs wanted to sort the situation out until the ship got home to pompey they could have quietly extracted the junior officer if he was the only one. Sounds like a promotion coming up to me.

From Skynews.co.uk

NAVY COMMANDER SACKED

The captain of a Royal Navy warship accused of bullying and harassment has been permanently removed from the command of his vessel.

The Navy said that, following an equal opportunities investigation, Commander David Axon would be appointed to a shore-based, non-command post with immediate effect.

The investigation found that Cdr Axon's leadership and management style fell "significantly short of the exemplary standards the Royal Navy requires of its commanding officers".

The investigation followed complaints against Cdr Axon by a male junior officer on the ship and a female member of the crew.

He was ordered off HMS Somerset, a Type 23 frigate, while the vessel was in port in Gibraltar and told to return home to face the inquiry.

The ship, which had just completed a tour of duty of the Gulf, is returning today to Devonport.

The Navy said that it would be "inappropriate" to comment on the detailed allegations against Cdr Axon in order to respect the rights to privacy and confidentiality of all concerned in the case.

However it said that as a result of his actions "the indispensable bond of trust and respect between a commanding officer and the ship's company had been irrevocably damaged".

It stressed that the investigation had not found any evidence of "mutinous behaviour, insubordination, disobedience or any other breaches of Service Law" among the ship's company.

We now wait for the sordid details (who cares if they're accurate) from the News of The World, that organ of exemplary behaviour and public standing.

Ventress

LE
Apparantly he just a bully living in the 1800's, who liked the lick of the cat given out daily. He's been caught out and will be held back in rank for a month and soon be TCH right hand man in MoD!

Ventress

LE
Just a bully who has been caught out.

No doubt he will be 2SL next week after a good telling off being a nasty man to the young officers!

From the Telegraph today:

David Axon's leadership and management on board HMS Somerset fell "significantly short of the exemplary standards the Royal Navy requires of its commanding officers", the Navy said in a statement.

As a result of his actions "the indispensable bond of trust and respect between a commanding officer and the ship's company had been irrevocably damaged".
Hopefully a future one:

TCH's leadership and management of the MoD fell "significantly short of the exemplary standards that the nations's defence requires of its Secretaries of State", the MoD said in a statement.

As a result of his actions "the indispensable bond of trust and respect between a Secretary of State and the Armed Forces had been irrevocably damaged".

Latest Threads