British national, grew up in the US. Will my education hurt my chances?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Ursine, May 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't have any GCSEs, A Levels or any other kind of English qualification, but I do have decent scores in all parts of the ACT, SAT and SAT IIs, as well as a few AP grades. Will the Army accept my American qualifications, or will this be an issue?
  2. You're more likely to face the issue of residency. Have you lived in the UK for the last 5 years? If I were you I'd go to the nearest Armed Forces Careers Office ASAP to get that point clarified.
  3. As you grew up in the USA it is far more likely that your lack of education will affect your chances.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I moved back to the UK in January of 07, been working a full time job since then. Would that be of huge detriment to me? I do plan on contacting a careers office for full advice when I get a chance.

I'm not too worried about the quality of my education, just whether the qualifications will translate over.

I also have a pretty strong souther accent. I imagine I'll get ragged on pretty much constantly for that, but will it a major issue?
  5. shouldn't be.

they can equate foreign grades.... mostly.
  6. The Army, in fact quite a lot of the UK Government's employment roles, usually require you to have been resident here for between 3 and 5 years. Sometimes that can be waived but you'd have to speak to a recruiter directly. As for your qualifications, you'd have to sit a number of tests during the recruitment process so intelligence is more important than having qualifications.
  7. Explain Chunkies then!
  8. All joking aside, you cannot possibly be the first person to have joined the Army with US educational qualifications. Your accent may be the focus of some humour but should have no bearing on your employment.
  9. Easy.

"Can I join the SAS?"

"No, you're fat and a bit thick"

"Oh. RLC Chef then?"

"Can you read this?" *Holds up card*

"One sausage each! Help yourself to beans!"

"You're in"
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ivanhoe, Ivanhoe, I've a Pick an' I've a Shovel an' I've an' Hoe.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. he's been resident in the UK for nearly 4 years now. as he hasn't started the application process yet, he'll be heading towards 5 years anyway.

on top of that, he only needs to've been a resident in the UK for at least 5 years if he goes for officer.

i'm applying from abroad and flying over the ADSC next month btw.
  12. Thanks for the help folks. My dad was in the Royal Signals back in ye olden times, I'll hassle him for the rest of my questions.

Much appreciated!
  13. no offence but yer old mans info is probably out of date.

you'll get all the info you need online or from a recruitment office.
    the offices are staffed by nice enough blokes, as long as you're not a complete chod and respectable.
  14. Concise and accurate! :)
  15. Your academic quals can be worked out from your US quals, Residency will be an issue for certain high techs jobs but seeing you have been residence since 2007 only a few are not available. Go into your nearest ACIO and they will advise better...also read the many forumns on here for tips.