British Muslims Object to Mosque Targets at Catterick

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by JoeCivvie, Apr 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. I've read that mosques are off limits in Afghanistan, so maybe they're there so our troops can avoid hitting them?

3. Best they don't go to Lydd then.

4. Shhh!

5. I'll get those "new pattern" figure 11s cancelled then shall I? Shame, we spent ages getting the turbans right.

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

and the beards, not to mention the over-size hooters I've been painting on.

7. Are these targets made in Switzerland? There's a distinct lack of minarets.

8. You been to lydd lately? :D

9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

There have certainly been Churches in training areas and FISH facilities for many years - look at Copehill down for a start. I also remember plenty of churches - and 'buildings with minarets' - on the old Landscape Targets, in all their pre-war glory. So why the fuss? If something is part of the landscape then it should - must - be included.

By the way, are they still available on-lineanywhere? I'd love to see some of those again, source as they were of generations of FCOs and Bushy Top Trees :)

10. Interesting, since there is no strict rule for what a mosque has to look like. It can be a room, a square marked out on the sand, or anything really!

11. Interestingly, any building can appear like these "mosque" targets in theatre/Asia. The bobbly bit in the middle is not a minaret it is a vault to improve the ambient temperature. However in the West, a lot of mosques are built in this style, to highlight they are in fact "alien" and mosques.

12. It didn't seem like a mosque to me either - my hair didn't stand on end when I saw it.

13. after using the ranges recently, one of the lads mentioned how the buildings look like the trafford centre....

14. Here are three of my designs for new Fig 12 targets. It looks like I'll have to bin them now :(

[​IMG]

15. Well they can **** off can't they.