British Muslims fighting with Taliban in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Aug 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. British Muslims 'fighting with Taliban in Afghanistan'

British Muslims are helping the Taliban in their war against UK soldiers in southern Afghanistan, according to the former commander of Britain's forces in Afghanistan.

By Con Coughlin, Duncan Gardham and Thomas Harding
    Last Updated: 10:37PM BST 01 Aug 2008

Brig. Ed Butler: 'There are British passport holders who live in the U.K. who are being found in places like Kandahar' Photo: HEATHCLIFF O'MALLEY
    Brig. Ed Butler, who spent six months commanding British forces in Afghanistan, also revealed fears that militant Islamic groups in south-east Asia are supporting terrorist plots in the UK.

The brigadier, a former head of the SAS, spoke exclusively to the Daily Telegraph in the week when the British death toll in Afghanistan reached 114, with 17 fatalities in the last two months.

UK forces have uncovered evidence that British Muslims are actively supporting the Taliban and al-Qa'eda in attacks on coalition forces in southern Afghanistan, Brig Butler said.

He said: "There are British passport holders who live in the U.K. who are being found in places like Kandahar."

Earlier this year, it was revealed that RAF Nimrod spyplanes monitoring Taliban radio signals in Afghanistan had heard militants speaking with Yorkshire and Midlands accents.

Privately, British officers in Afghanistan estimate that several thousand Taliban fighters have been killed since 2006, among them people from outside the country.
    More on the link
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/2485750/British-Muslims-fighting-with-Taliban-in-Afghanistan.html

2. Hang them for treason, simple as.

3. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

The problem with this is that so many 'legitimate' Pakistani/British travellers are coming and going on religious pilgrimages at certain times of the year, many of the dodgy fcukers can camouflage themselves amongst them. The SB guys at port are small in number, and they have to fully check out who they stop, which inevitably means the well prepared terrorist/jihadi can (with a little bit of prior planning and preperation) get through. A lot of them use cash and/or lax border controls to cross into Afghanistan through North West Syria to fight in Iraq too.

4. Why? What is wrong with shooting them while in Afghanistan?

5. Not really but it deserves to be made well known.

6. Not me, but I like the tossers going to Afghan to fight rather than exploding on British public transport. I prefer the dead Islamatossers dead surrounded by small arms rather than UK commuters.

7. I have a problem here with what the Brigadier says. Read on
    Despite claims that his premature retirement was in protest at the government's underfunding of the Armed Forces, Brig Butler insisted his decision to step down had been prompted by the desire to spend more time with his family.

"I reached the conclusion that I did not want to leave my family any more for an extended period. Life is too short. There is no point having a family if you are not going to see them," he said.
    He then goes on to say

Brig Butler believes the continued presence of radical British Muslims in southern Afghanistan is one of the reasons British forces must remain in the region, despite the heavy number of battlefield fatalities.

"This is a highly significant mission," he said. "If we do not win against the protagonists of the September 11 attacks then those who are against us will take great succour from it."

It is vital for British forces to remain in Afghanistan "for as long as it takes" to prevent a repeat of the July 7 bombings in London in 2005, which killed 52 people, he said.
    If the Brigadier feels like that then it must follow that many other married Officers SNCOs and others must feel the same. So just how are we to maintain a credible force over the next decade with the present pay and conditions prevailing. Surely if we cannot keep key people a process of the erosion of key skills will continue and accelerate creating a shortfall of battlefield experience which surely will result in higher battlefield casualties?

8. That's the bit I am surprised at. So many other things to have said there, which would have made more sense?

....and it may be urban legend, but Nimrods are not the only thing to have heard Midlands accents among Taleban fighters.

9. British muslims were ''fighting'' in the Balklans in 1995 also they will get there JDAM soon i hope.

10. Nice one Brig that will do wonders for retention. This isn't new and to be honest I would rather they died in Helmand than on British streets.

11. Spaz, I assume you mean British Islamists rather than retired army officers?

If Brig Butler is right and it is so important to fight in Afg why is no other European country pulling its weight?

I admire Brig Butler but he shows all the signs of someone too close to the subject. An effective immigration policy would reduce the risks at home in a much more effective way. Having our servicemen slaughtered at a steady rate and forcing them to return to the killing fields of Afg time and time again over the coming years is a disastrous policy.

Time for UKAF to take a breather and hand over to the super EU Army, step up or step out.

I am sure that Butler will change his opinion when he has had some distance from his previous life. I still salute his loyalty and professional reputation.

12. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

According to MI5, the greatest threat is now from British born Muslims who feel more love, respect and appreciation of their global ummah and the sharia than they do towards any land border. And remember, 3 of the 4 7/7 bombers were born in the UK (the 4th - Germaine Lyndsay was a Jamaican born British citizen). There are 2,000 + (suspected at 2,500+) active terrorist cells/plotters in this country at the moment, and a significant proportion of them hate us for the way we are involving ourselves in the (perceived) oppression of their Muslim brothers and sisters overseas.

13. Hang the cunts.

Gosh I'm in a good mood.

14. PtP it certainly isn't urban legend and i am sure that i'm not the only one to have heard certain Birmingham-based accents whilst out there.

F

15. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

So if British forces in Afghanistan is a honey trap for British Islamists, then let them come. I'd love to hear these b!tches crying about a 'shoot to kill' policy!!

Of course, it remains that you can't keep this operational tempo up without proper resources, and neither this gobment nor the next will provide them.