British MP - Saudi Arabia has not exported Terrorism

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
castlereagh said:
Erm.. just uttered by Khalid Mahmood on Newsnight. WTF?
Buffoon :roll:

He was also fairly comprehensively filleted on CH4 news earlier in the evening too when they had one of the chaps tortured by the Saudis in 2003 (I think) up against him.

This should be viewable here if it's updated yet.

Yup, just saw that - what an utter tool, esp on women in Saudi not having the vote. Where's his loyalty or rational perspective? Thought the rest of the panel made the valid point that one can engage in a dialogue with a country without endorsing the regieme by providing a state visit.

Dear Queen,

Why are you sitting down to lunch with a disgusting, murdering tyrant who cuts his own people's heads off, treats women like animals and has tortured some of your own subjects?

Enjoy the sausage rolls, cocktail sausages and red wine from Nettos. I wouldn't want you to throw up down your dress as you ponder what these bastards get up to, and the sordid stuff your government does in the name of 'British interests'

What corruption and double standards? They couldn't be being more up front about it. Looky:

"Foreign Office minister Kim Howells has called for Britain and Saudi Arabia to work more closely together, despite their differences. Mr Howells told a conference ahead of a state visit by Saudi leader King Abdullah that the two states could unite around their "shared values""

So I suppose that's that, then.

In past years the British state rolled out the red carpet for Ceausescu and Mobutu; it's King Abdullah's turn today Link

The flag of Saudi Arabia flies over The Mall in London today as a major state visit by the Saudi dynasty begins. The Mall, which leads up to Buckingham Palace, is carrying a flag that declares: "There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is his Messenger".

The freedom that Britain rightly affords to Muslims to profess their faith is not given to other faith traditions by the Saudi authorities. In recent years the US Commission on International Religious Freedom has heavily criticised the treatment of Christians and other believers in the 'desert kingdom'.

The Independent newspaper (which lazily and underhandedly reprinted a Foreign and Commonwealth Office briefing two weeks ago) won't have renewed any friendships at the FCO with its coverage today of the Saudi visit.

Indyp1 These are the highlights from a page one comment piece by Johann Hari:

* A quotation from Amnesty International: "Fear and secrecy permeate every aspect of life. Every day the most fundamental human rights of people in Saudi Arabia are being violated."
* Neither Gordon Brown nor David Cameron will commit to even mention human rights abuses in Saudi Arabia when they meet King Abdullah al-Saud.
* King Abdullah al-Saud "will ride in a golden carriage with the Queen, and be guest of honour at a Buckingham Palace banquet. It is the start of a three-day state visit, funded by the British taxpayer."
* "While King Abdullah is cheered by our political leaders, many of his victims will be protesting outside. Sandy Mitchell, 52, went to Saudi Arabia to work as an anaesthetic technician at a hospital in Riyadh more than a decade ago – and got a rare outsider's glimpse into how the king maintains his power. He explains: "One day in 2000 I was getting out of my car at the hospital when I was pounced on. I was battered to the ground, a hood was put over my head, and they manacled my hands and feet. I thought – I'm being kidnapped." He woke up in the Madhethe interrogation centre, where the Saudi police demanded he confess to being a British spy ordered to plant bombs in the country. He told then the bombs were obviously the work of Saudi Islamists – a view now accepted to be true – so they hung him upside down and began to beat his feet and buttocks with an axe handle for eight days. All the while, he could hear his friend Bill Sampson being gang-raped in the next room."
* Saudi women are "banned from driving, from leaving the house without a male guardian, even in a medical emergency, or from holding a passport."
* "As the dissident ex-CIA agent Robert Baer says: "Never forget that it is the al-Saud who sign the cheques for these extreme mosque schools all over the world. It's hush money to divert Muslims' attention from the [activities of] the al-Saud [royal family]." The Saudi dictatorship is slowly poisoning global Islam, ensuring the most austere and fanatical desert vision liquidates the softer, more mystical strands – and we are already seeing this backfire on to the streets of London and New York."

Protesting at the suppression of women, suffocation of religious freedom, suspected corruption as evidenced by the aborted BAe probe and for its subsidy of extremist Muslim ideologies, Vince Cable, the acting LibDem leader is boycotting the Buckingham Palace banquet. Also in The Independent, Cable writes:

"A cynic would argue that the institution of the British state visit has been hopelessly devalued. Past invitations to such appalling characters as President Mobutu of Congo and President Ceausescu of Romania reduced its value. I had hoped that Gordon Brown's government would have higher standards. It seems not."

This morning the Saudi monarch spoke to the BBC and accused the British Government of failing to do enough on terrorism. This from a nation which is a leading funder of Wahhabism. He repeated a claim that Saudi Arabia had passed intelligence to Britain before 7/7 that might have averted the London bombings. A parliamentary investigation has already repudiated that claim.
Perhaps HM could 'have a word' in the King's shell like,and explain it's all rather passe to allow ones citizens to wage crusades/jihad abroad,and if he didn't take Her word for it,perhaps the King would like to borrow the 'Lady Bird Book of Kings & Queens' and pay particular attention to the page about Richard I.

(editid 4 bad gramma an spellin)

We have shared values of corruption and double standards!

The Saudis are smart. They fund the building of mosques and Islamic centres across Europe. They use Western leaders to safeguard their security.

I'm wondering, what happens when the oil runs out?

headlikeajerrycan said:
We have shared values of corruption and double standards!

The Saudis are smart. They fund the building of mosques and Islamic centres across Europe. They use Western leaders to safeguard their security.

I'm wondering, what happens when the oil runs out?
Unfortunately HM does not always get to choose the scum that can pitch up as house guests. She even had to tolerate tea with Bliar frequently.

It's more unusual to have your guests criticise you in the hours before you arrive. But Abdullah's right - if we were serious about terrorism he'd have had a few ICBMs in the kisser by now.

It always leaves a bad taste in the mouth when we treat crooks like dignitaries. But then it's a warm up for the state opening of Parliament next week. :roll:

What happens when the oil runs out? We'll have a few poorer prostitutes, shabbier hotels in W1 and some new Saudi plumbers.

The western governments have failed to research properly into alternatives to oil. Thats why they have to toady up to the House of Saud.

I think the Saudis realise we have weak leaders and just slowly take a little bit more each time. As I wrote earlier, the Saudis are building up their position for when the oil starts running dry.

headlikeajerrycan said:
The western governments have failed to research properly into alternatives to oil. Thats why they have to toady up to the House of Saud.

I think the Saudis realise we have weak leaders and just slowly take a little bit more each time. As I wrote earlier, the Saudis are building up their position for when the oil starts running dry.
The thing is when the oil does run dry these are no more than third world nobodies and the ME will return to insignificance.

They've failed to use the money to build their nations instead enriching a select few. Those few will still have their money but will no longer be listened to, Abdulla being one.

Mahmood is a Labour MP is he not?

I'm more concerned at his parties role in importing of terrorists rather than Saudi Arabias problems.

If the King were to be over-thrown tomorrow does anyone really think the people would set up a nice friendly western-style liberal democracy. The radicals in Saudi would make the Taliban and Ayatollahs in Tehran look like saintly moderates.

The Saudi King and his family constantly walk a tight-rope, knowing the religious nutters would love to take over, be-head the Royal family and take the country further back into the dark ages. The king could not renounce the excesses of sharia law, even if he wanted to, it would be signing his own death warrant.

The House of Saud are just as threatened by Al-Quaida as the West and have taken strong action against them - why do you think so many of their leaders fled to lawless Afghanistan in the first place?

He and his despicable family are the lesser of two evils. Bad - yes but historically no worse than China, USSR, Iran, Iraq Chile etc etc. I'm sure the Queen would rather watch re-runs of the Princess Diana interviews rather than sit down with this odious leader - but that's her job and bloody well she does it too.

Herrumph said:
If the King were to be over-thrown tomorrow does anyone really think the people would set up a nice friendly western-style liberal democracy. The radicals in Saudi would make the Taliban and Ayatollahs in Tehran look like saintly moderates.

The Saudi King and his family constantly walk a tight-rope, knowing the religious nutters would love to take over, be-head the Royal family and take the country further back into the dark ages. The king could not renounce the excesses of sharia law, even if he wanted to, it would be signing his own death warrant.

The House of Saud are just as threatened by Al-Quaida as the West and have taken strong action against them - why do you think so many of their leaders fled to lawless Afghanistan in the first place?

He and his despicable family are the lesser of two evils. Bad - yes but historically no worse than China, USSR, Iran, Iraq Chile etc etc. I'm sure the Queen would rather watch re-runs of the Princess Diana interviews rather than sit down with this odious leader - but that's her job and bloody well she does it too.
8) WELL PUT. 8)

Herrumph said:

I don't think any one with half a brain about Saudi would suggest that Liberal democracy would be possible in post Saud world. However the fact remains that the Sauds have stifled any sort of moderate opposition in Saudi Arabia. Their promotion of hard core Wahhabism through out much of the Islamic world is known. They were quite happy to export their trouble makers when it suited them (Afghanistan) and if we are honest the present War on Terror just suits them fine as Al Qaeda's resources are diverted from peninsular.

The Sauds are Wahhabis and just because they do not openly promote Jihaad against the infidels does not mean that they are not Wahhabis. If anything their schizophrenic attitudes are evidence of their true tendencies.

Mahmood needs to take a good long hard look at his own constituency and the impact that Saudi influenced proselytisation has had there and if he is sure that the impact has been purely positive then maybe he needs to consider whose interests he is actually serving.

I therefore stand corrected.

By hunting down and executing Al-Quaida in their own country, forcing them to flee they thereby exported terrorism. The barstuards!

When, or if, we ever extradite our home grown terrorists we had better be prepared for massive retaliation from our allies.

Herrumph said:
I therefore stand corrected.

By hunting down and executing Al-Quaida in their own country, forcing them to flee they thereby exported terrorism. The barstuards!

When, or if, we ever extradite our home grown terrorists we had better be prepared for massive retaliation from our allies.
Drole indeed but the question remains why does Saudi Arabia remain the active epicentre of the Islamist terrorist movement? Why would the Sauds claim that they knew in advance of the Pakistani originated 7/7 outrage and the British did not heed their warnings? Why is it that 19 of the 9/11 Bombers were Saudi. Why is that the Saudis are so keen to export their brand of Wahhabism through out much of the Islamic world.