• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

British MP: Israel employed Nazi tactics in Lebanon

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3314621,00.html

British MP Andrew Turner of the Conservative Party
“Those were the tactics of the Nazis in 1939 and 1940 – attacking fleeing civilians from the air,” he said.

Turner then turned to Jewish MP Louise Ellman, saying, “I know this offends the honorable Member for Liverpool, Riverside, but I must tell the truth.”
Following the uproar over Turner’s remarks, Conservative Party leader David Cameron insisted that his fellow party member to apologize.

“Many people have been offended by what I said; I understand why they feel this comparison was inappropriate,” Turner said on Friday. “I apologize for offending them, and I withdraw the remarks.”

KGB_resident said:
Turner then turned to Jewish MP Louise Ellman, saying, “I know this offends the honorable Member for Liverpool, Riverside, but I must tell the truth.”
That, in my opinion, is a hostile and un-called for move.

Chief_Joseph said:
KGB_resident said:
That, in my opinion, is a hostile and un-called for move.
Yes, I agree, this remark is so rude, absolutely unacceptable. It reminds me unfamous remark made by London's mayor. Btw, mr.Livingstone hadn't apoligised, though the leader of his party urged to do it.

So we see that the discipline in the Conservative party is on a very high level. Moreover, it seems to me that the opologies sounded by mr.Turner were not sincere.

In this context one could ask a very natural question:

What is better: apologies made under a pressure of political leader or right to say what you think, freedom of opinions?

It's a tad unsporting to compare the IAF to the Luftwaffe and then apologize for the discomfort caused to the nearest vocal proponent of Israel and all its works. It's also disgraceful to wheel out the holocaust in response:
Is the hon. Gentleman seriously comparing Israel's defending itself to the genocide of the holocaust and the Nazis? Is that a serious point that he is making rather than a criticism of Israel's policy?
Dan Halutz had just butchered over a thousand Lebanese civilians and destroyed the countries economy with our governments active complicity. It was all to no good end... the pratt then got his arse kicked out of Lebanon by village reservists. Has the woman no shame.

If you look the debate up Crispin Blunt is less crass:
I went to Lebanon two weeks ago and I have to say that my hon. Friend's central thesis, which is that the United Kingdom's policy has not been helpful, is certainly the case in Lebanon, where our Prime Minister is seen as personally responsible for the extension of the conflict beyond the second and third week and for the number of casualties that happened towards the end. I regret to say that my hon. Friend is correct that there are authenticated incidents, with witnesses, when children in pick-ups were machine-gunned by Israeli aircraft until they were apparently dead. That does not condone anything else that was done on the other side but I am afraid that we need to try to deal with the facts as they occurred on the ground and to move forward.

Latest Threads