British Military Fitness

Found some old posts on British Military Fitness, but nothing recent, so here goes...

I'm aware what British Military Fitness do, and I think it was started by some ex PTI's? Looks good anyway, and obviously has a niche in attracting people that enjoy training in that way - I can also see it being a good recruiting tool!

My mate, a civvy, has been going to British Military Fitness in a park in Birmingham for over a year. Now my understanding was that some/all of the staff would be ex-PTI's and you'd to military style training - circuits, running, getting muddy, some shouting etc. We've been chatting, and although my mates not stupid, he actually thought British Military Fitness was part of the army. Turns out the staff claim they are currently in the army, one claims to be a crab (who would claim that?) and several are in/training for Them. Lets not forget a good number of the customers are young, female, and naive. He also says they staff dress as a PTI would - 95 trousers, boots, and gay vest. I told him bollocks. He went and told them that. They want me to pop along and meet them. I don't want my head smashed in.

If these guys are in, how the feck do they manage to appear in Birmingham city centre 3 nights a week, week after week? How the feck do they get permission to have a second job? How the feck do they get permission to wear rig? Are they regular? TA? Ex? Walts?

2 lads from the ta unit i serve with work for bmf. and the black coats are on the top of the blag list :D

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
If you look at the recruitment advert on their site it says;

Job Opportunities

Fitness Classes - Instructors

Due to our continuing expansion we are always looking for additional Physical Training Instructors (PTI's) to join us on a part time basis in London and Nationwide for fitness classes and events.

To qualify you must be Ex or Serving Armed Forces and hold a recognised fitness qualification (military or civilian) and /or adventure training qualifications eg MLT / SPA etc

We are also looking for qualified instructors who would like to set up and run new venues. To see the kind of people we are after click on the video below.

Why didn't I think to look on their website? Cheers for that!

So it seems lots are serving. So again, how do they get permission for this? To wear uniform for their second job?

With the TA - is it a case of the army qualify them as a PTI, then they work for BMF?

Anyway, looks like they do a good job, and my mate enjoys it.

I don't think I'll be taking up their offer of popping to see them!

A lot of thier staff are 'ex forces' who are in other uniformed jobs i.e. Fire Service, etc (4 days on 4 days off/day manning etc) i.e. a lot of scope for a second job.

They do dress very similar to MILITARY PTI (APTI/APTC) thier selling point, but have a different logo on their vests/ training tops.

The Head Shed is a well respected ex Rupert.

At least they are 'honest' in what they do, unlike some competitors, who claim to be something they are not. I believe even Jane Goody tried something similar!!

I would only wish they would set up in Milton Keynes as the nearest locations to MK are to far to travel to/from after a beasting session.

Scavenger said:
So again, how do they get permission for this? To wear uniform for their second job?
I imagine it's because of the huge amounts of free and very positive PR they generate for the forces.

DB216LOKDVR said:

Not to mention a well-respected, serving Serjeant. ( hello maaaaate! )

DB216LOKDVR said:
A lot of thier staff are 'ex forces' who are in other uniformed jobs i.e. Fire Service, etc (4 days on 4 days off/day manning etc) i.e. a lot of scope for a second job.

They do dress very similar to MILITARY PTI (APTI/APTC) thier selling point, but have a different logo on their vests/ training tops.

At least they are 'honest' in what they do, unlike some competitors, who claim to be something they are not. I believe even Jane Goody tried something similar!!

I would only wish they would set up in Milton Keynes as the nearest locations to MK are to far to travel to/from after a beasting session.
Interestingly enough the chap who is actually the top man is a serving TA inf colour sgt whos a mate of mine .
He is often mistaken for a rupert due to his outrageously posh accent
He a two others started the firm up with pooled amount of about 4 grand , it's now worth well into it's millions.
They have carved out quite a niche Market and done very well.
Should try going to their Xmas party 3 girls to every 1 bloke, a single chaps heaven.
Now there's a soldiers initiative for you

If he is a Colour Serjeant ( spelling, take two extras ) he will be getting the beers in ce soir.

I gather he has an incredible ability to torch an entire BGs HLS...

A

armadillo

BMF are a kosher firm, some of the guys are TA and some PTIs if they are not busy do work for BMF. I think its good for KAPE, and gives the lads some form getting ready for CivDiv. As for claiming to be joining them, I think its because its young impressionable ladies involved and I would take it as tongue in cheek.

BMF is quite a reputable firm and they are not like the gyms that promise you spas and fitness and charge the earth with difficult to get out of contracts.

I have even turned up for a BMF on leave just to do a circuit with other people, training on your own can be dispiriting.

It was good fun, well natured and the guys were more proactive and well read than some of the coffee drinking hide in the gym unit PTI that I have seen in the past.

I hope they thrive and go on as I think its a good example of a British firm doing well in the current climate.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've been to a few Britmilfit sessions and I have to say they are top.

Yes all the instructors are either serving or ex Forces, including TA etc. They wear C95 trousers, combat boots and a BMF T-shirt or training top, so they technically aren't wearing full uniform.

It has a very healthy ratio of chicks to blokes and an awesome social side with regular piss ups, often in fancy dress.

I can highly recommend it and the first session is free so you have nothing to lose.

A few of the PTIs from my TA unit are instructors for BMF and it's a great way for them to earn a few extra beer tokens during the week.

All in all it's a top business and I wish them well.

Scavenger said:
Found some old posts on British Military Fitness, but nothing recent, so here goes...

I'm aware what British Military Fitness do, and I think it was started by some ex PTI's? Looks good anyway, and obviously has a niche in attracting people that enjoy training in that way - I can also see it being a good recruiting tool!

My mate, a civvy, has been going to British Military Fitness in a park in Birmingham for over a year. Now my understanding was that some/all of the staff would be ex-PTI's and you'd to military style training - circuits, running, getting muddy, some shouting etc. We've been chatting, and although my mates not stupid, he actually thought British Military Fitness was part of the army. Turns out the staff claim they are currently in the army, one claims to be a crab (who would claim that?) and several are in/training for Them. Lets not forget a good number of the customers are young, female, and naive. He also says they staff dress as a PTI would - 95 trousers, boots, and gay vest. I told him balls. He went and told them that. They want me to pop along and meet them. I don't want my head smashed in.

If these guys are in, how the feck do they manage to appear in Birmingham city centre 3 nights a week, week after week? How the feck do they get permission to have a second job? How the feck do they get permission to wear rig? Are they regular? TA? Ex? Walts?
Ive been working for BMF for about 9 months and as you put above we do dress in 95s,boots and the gay vest is actually a blue t-shirt,this is laid down as company dress regs for the instructors,bit of a military theme going,hence the name of the company.Most of the instructors are either ex reg (army,navy,RAF) or TA,Im sure there are some serving guys as well.Most are qualified PTIs or hold a civvie qual,again the qualified PTIs are required to wear the red PTI belt.Walts definitely not,all I have met are extremely professional in there lessons,some run there lessons along a military theme others do not.All instructors are required to attend a training day once a year in order to keep there skills as professional as possible.
At the moment there are approx 18000 members across the UK so Im sure even you would agree,it seems to work.These people are there as paying customers therefore they are not treated like a day one week one sprog,however they do get there monies worth.
Take up your mates offer and attend a lesson,first one is free,come back and let us all know your views then.

Andy_S

LE
Book Reviewer
A senior officer of my acquaintance recently told me that in the mid-1970s, serving regulars were moonlighting as it was the only way they could make ends meet on the salaries then paid. Officers were well aware of this and turned a blind eye.

Couldn't happen now, though, could it....?