British Military Code of Conduct

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by usmarine, Apr 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello All,
    First, I would like to say that, we here in the states, are very happy that the hostages were released and are safe.

I have had the Honor of fighting beside British troops. These troops fought with honor and great bravery.

I would like to ask if anyone here knows and could also post the British Military Code of Conduct that governs the behavior of a service member captured by the enemy. It is becoming something of a debate here in the U.S. if a few of the prisoners should be held accountable for their actions. I persanly would like to know the British MCC before I can form an educated desition.

I will enclose our M.C.C.

Thank you for any help.

**Here is the code of conduct that governs the behavior of a American service member captured by the enemy.**

I
    I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

II

I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

III

If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and to aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

IV

If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.

V

When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

VI

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Well the first point you have to realise is that Iran is not the enemy, we are not at war with Iran.
    Many of the more intelligent people on the planet think that avoiding another war is a good idea at the moment......what do you think?

3. USM,

Very interesting, but irrelevant to the current HMS Cornwall debate.

These marines and sailors were not POW as we are not at war with Iran. Although they may have been used as 'hostages' they were actually, preposterous and illegal as it may have been, arrested for illegal entry into Iranian territorial waters.

Your post actually comes across as an attempt to undermine these guys, as what you are actually saying is that their US counterparts would have resisted to the death, refusing all offers of hospitality in excess of the standard 'bread and water' type fare, whilst making a cunning plan to escape. Think not.

PAW

4. Plenty of people thought that we should have avoided war with Germany in 1939, but it didn't make them right. I'm not drawing a direct comparison, but sometimes it is the right thing to do; that time may unfortunately be drawing closer.

You seem to think that enemy must be defined in legal terms and related to a formal declaration of war. That is one way to look at it, but is also a little naiive and blinkered. If Iran is supporting our enemies in Iraq, eg, by supplying explosively formed penetrator IEDs that are being used to kill our servicemen, as our country and the US claims, then it would fall into the enemy category in my book.

I am in no position to criticise the conduct of those RN personnel captured by the Iranians; I have no more information on the conditions of their incarceration than has been reported in the news media. However, a debate over what behaviour is appropriate when detained by a country that is strongly suspected of aiding and abetting Iraqi insurgents who murder our servicemen is still a legitimate activity.

5. War is for fools, having been in combat, I have the right to say as much.
    My question was said with respect. I realize you are not at war with Iran but what does that have to do with my question?
    Best to you.

6. I too have been in combat
    what do you mean by "enemy" if we are not at war and why do you post your rules for troop deportment while captured as a POW. SUrely these are not relevant as, as you say we are not at war and what is this "YOU are not at war with Iran" I though it was WE and I also thought it was a UN Mission?
    In addition you automatically seem to regard Iran as an enemy.
    Whilst I have no doubt that there is a chance that that might come to pass I think its rather a risky tactic to APPARENTLY regard all Muslim countries as "the enemy". It might just be why they dont seem to be very fond of us.

7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Everything.
    The "hostages" especially the officers, would have been aware of the sensitivity of operating in that area and would have been keen not to escalate an already fragile situation. They would have made judgements based on the circumstances and the Iranian position as explained to them by the Iranians - which we do not know yet.

Not everything is in the manual.

8. Please read carefully what the marines and sailors actually said. Note the way they phrased their comments and how they were diplomatic in their actions. Look at the way they conducted themselves and the pride we as fellow service personnel have in their actions. They have conducted themselves to protect each other and are comming home safely. DO NOT presume to put your spin on their actions, DO NOT take any moral high ground you have none to take. Now go away!

9. Possibly even journo WAH

10. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

There is no formal 'code of conduct' for British military personnel. They are taught that, as prisoners of war, they are obliged to give their name, rank, number and date of birth, and nothing more. Practical resistance training is given to members of units considered 'prone to capture'.

However, as has been pointed out, the sailors and marines were not prisoners of war so any such code of conduct would not apply.

11. i think the british version is:

1. use some common sense.
    2. if 1. does not apply then have a cup of tea or a cig if you smoke, have a think about it, then give 1. another go.

13. From the Times.My reading of the various UK papers would seem to indicated that the RN will come in for some very close scrutiny for its role in this crisis.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1618003.ece

14. I think that usmarine is probably aged between 8 and 15 years old. The US Marines make a big deal about using capital letters, that and the wording in both of his posts scream "I wanna be a Marine when I grow up!"