British men discriminated against in the transmission of citizenship.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Trembly, Dec 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Please sign and post this on your facebook if you believe that children born abroad and out of wedlock to British fathers prior to 2006 should be eligible for British citizenship.

    Inexplicably, this group of children (and their fathers) are being blatantly discriminated against on the basis of age and gender by British law whilst every other permutation of children born to a male British parent or female British parent, legitimate or illegitimate, in the UK or abroad is eligible for British citizenship.

    I've written to my MP (Tory, Westminster) and he just responded with utter wibble that didn't even make sense (something about some other countries not allowing their citizens to have dual passports, therefore it would be diplomatically tricky to suddenly change the law according to my request). I wish I'd kept the letter to show to people now, it was such grade A manure, but in my fury I threw it in the bin.

    Taking up with the court is technically pointless, as parliamentary sovereignty means that parliament can do as they please whatever the courts say. However, a court decision or a large enough petition could make it politically undesirable to hang on to this law.

    I am one such child but I do have right of abode and a Canadian passport so I'm not totally stuffed without a British passport - I've gone through the best part of 30 years without one, I live and work in the UK without restriction, I've been in the RNR and I can even vote in council elections - but to me it is a matter of injured principle. This makes no difference to my own life apart from the fact that I would be able to work in the rest of the EU without having to apply for a permit (which as a Canadian I would get in a snap anyway), but as I said it is the sheer principle and the patronisingly knobthroat response from the MP which must have taken him all of 10 seconds to consider which has really fucked me off. I'm thinking that there must be loads of poor buggers (and their offspring) out there who are really shafted because of it. In any case, it's just wrong and needs to be fixed.

    The status quo.

    The petition

  2. Baffles me why a Canadian would want to live here.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. I don't any more ;-P
  4. 1. It can only work if the father is named on the birth certificate.

    2. I think the chances are that if the groups you mentioned above were savvy enough to get get citizenship in the first place they would be savvy enough to make sure that they already married the non-British mother of their child in order to pass on citizenship.
  5. In 2010 the law was changed to make it so that as of 2006 the offspring of ALL British passport holders received citizenship irrespective of place of birth whether the child was legitimate or not. This law is retroactive only up to 2006.

    Prior to 2006 only British women could pass on British citizenship to their illegitimate children irrespective of birth whereas men had to marry the foreign mothers in order to pass on citizenship to their children.
  6. Wrong.

    To fall outside the claim you have to be

    1. Born before 2006

    2. Your British parent is male.

    3. Your male British parent has not married your non-British mother.

    If you answer YES to ALL THREE then you are NOT a British citizen. If you answer YES to TWO OF THREE then you are a British citizen.
  7. What it boils down to is, if you are a bloke and you got a non-British bird pregnant who gave birth prior to 2006, the British government doesn't want to know and your sprog can get in the immigrant queue.

    If you are a British bird then your child can get British citizenship under any circumstances whatsoever no questions asked.
  8. Your father is British but you haven't mentioned how he became British as that has a bearing on the whole thing as well.
  9. I agree with the post but disqualify myself as I baled out of UK 25 years ago.
    I thought it was bad enough then !!!!:sad: ...
    • Like Like x 1
  10. It doesn't because people who are born in Britain OR born outside Britain but naturalised as UK citizens (other than by descent) have the right to pass on citizenship to 1 generation born outside.

    That means that if you yourself were born in Britain (therefore other than by descent) to British parents, but went to say, Germany and had a child with a fraulein in 1988, your child would not have British citizenship until you married the fraulein, making your child legitimate (making her a British citizen by descent).

    Then, your child grows up and has a child of his/her own, let's say next week. Your grandchild would only be British if both his/her parents is British or was born in Britain. If your grandchild were to be born in America next week with only your son/daughter being British out of the two parents then your grandchild is not British because British citizens born outside of the UK who became British by descent (in this example your hypothetical son or daughter) can only pass on citizenship if their children (your hypothetical grandchildren) are born in the UK or is born abroad to 2 British parents.

    As it happens my father was born in Britain and both of his parents were born in Britain as well.

    But this is not the issue that I'm talking about in my original post. The Descent / Other than by descent thing is a mechanism to ensure that British citizenship can't just be passed on ad infinitum outside of the UK, which I have no problem with.
  11. This may be European (as in EU) thing as I recently applied for an Irish passport as my father was born in the North. I supplied all the docs required but they then asked for my parents' marriage certificate. On their interwebby site there is no mention of supplying marriage certs but they were adamant one had to be supplied even though both have been dead for a number of years. I managed to get a cert and Bob's yer wotsit I now have a passport from old Erin. Of course if any of your grand parents were born in the Ireland you can get Irish citizenship and then a passport.
  12. Right, so.... If I (a Brit male) went out to some poor but half decent place and knocked up one of the pretty locals then her child would/could have British citizenship.

    The child can then move to the UK and presumably, given the right to a family life, bring his mother along too.

    Then they can live on benefits while the sprog in question gets a good education and all NHS services.

    If this is true (and I hope it isn't) I could fly to somewhere with LBFMs a plenty and the local honeys will be paying me to have a damn good go on my DNA dispenser.

    I mean, why bother trying to smuggle yourself in great peril and at huge expense when for a reasonable fee you can help yourself to the contents of my testicles and win the citizenship lottery legally?

    Just sign the birth certificate K*vin Hu*hes and the job's a good-un. Or James Shortt, and bingo - everyone's a winner.
  13. err sign a petition to let even more "not born and bred in the UK" immigrants live in the UK ?,not likely .
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Only if

    1. Your child is born after 2006
    2. Your child was born before 2006 but you married the mother.

    The child won't be going anywhere legally without the consent of both parents. UKPLOD take this extremely seriously and have been known to arrest British fathers who have taken their children away from LBFM land without LBFM's permission. That means that if you knock up an LBFM and she gives birth after 2006 AND your name is on the birth certificate AND you have taken the time to register the baby with the nearest British consulate or embassy AND consent to the baby's passport application and maybe some money for it too, only then will the child be able to board a flight to Britain. However, before your child can do that with LBFM you would have to show written consent to the British embassy in LBFM country to support 1. LBFM's visa application 2. Child travelling out of LBFM country. Vice versa if you tried to take your child back to UK without LBFM.

    Nice and easy isn't it? :)