British men captured by Moscow's forces appear on state TV and ask to be exchanged for pro-Russian oligarch...

Aslin is a captured Ukrainian Marine who holds dual British - Ukrainian nationality.

Pinner is a British national and former member of The Anglican Regiment who moved to Ukraine and enlisted in the Ukrainian Marines on a 3 year contract.

Both of them are active servicemen in the Ukrainian armed forces and as such should be treated as POWs in accordance with the Geneva Conventions.

It's poor journalism at best and if I can find out the truth in just a couple of clicks then so can you.

Remember this..?

(see 36.14 mins)

The Anglican Regiment? Is Justin Welby the CO? Those pointy hats must be awkward.

Mufulira42

Old-Salt
The ones I drank with in Colchester 80-83 were fine generally.
IIRC the
The ones I drank with in Colchester 80-83 were fine generally.
IRRC the late lamented Norfolk Regiment were tagged with "The Holy Boys" not because they had an affinity for churchy things but to the fact when OR's were given Bibles by an incredibly well-meaning God Botherer just before leaving for India or some other dusty part of Empire. They quickly realised said Bibles would fetch an honest bob or two prior to embarkation so their bobs were soon exchanged for golden throat charmer {aka beer} and all embarked without their souls protected.

kandak01

Old-Salt
Sounds like these two have been sentenced to death today by a non recognised court.

An escalation, or just setting up a bargaining position?

Sounds like these two have been sentenced to death today by a non recognised court.

An escalation, or just setting up a bargaining position?
Good you put an emphasis on the non-recognised court, just looked that up

"Donetsk People's Republic"
"The Donetsk People's Republic (DPR or DNR; Russian: Донецкая Народная Республика, tr. Donetskaya Narodnaya Respublika, IPA: [dɐˈnʲetskəjə nɐˈrodnəjə rʲɪˈspublʲɪkə]) is a breakaway state located in Ukraine, formed on 7 April 2014 by pro-Russian separatists following the Ukrainian Revolution of Dignity. It is one of two breakaway states in Donbas region of eastern Ukraine, the other being the Luhansk People's Republic (LPR). Since 2014, DPR forces have been fighting against the Ukrainian Armed Forces in the Donbas War, and have received political and military backing from Russia. The capital city and largest city within the DPR is Donetsk. Denis Pushilin has served as the DPR head of state since 2018.[7][8]"

It's a technical point, but assuming even that there was some justification for treating the men as anything other than ordinary POWs, what legal jurisdiction could Russia possibly have in a sovereign foreign nation that it had invaded illegally?

It's a technical point, but assuming even that there was some justification for treating the men as anything other than ordinary POWs, what legal jurisdiction could Russia possibly have in a sovereign foreign nation that it had invaded illegally?
The technical point is that the court is not one of the Russian Federation but of the DPR.

It's a nice piece of water-muddying as it not only puts the decision at arms' length but also risks a whole lot of uncomfortable questions being asked about previous trials by entities not universally recognised as sovereign territories and I'm not sure anyone wants that can of worms opened.

Stand by for a BBC Shriekfest that they're Brits and must be saved by Boris - something must be done! Of course it'll be just another pressure point courtesy of that nice Mr Putin.

The legal issues will be conveniently ignored in a blizzard of Boris Grrr, possibly led by that nice Iranian lady who was released by those Iranian fellows recently - which of course was also all Boris' fault!

I've since learned that the detention and trial of those concerned was undertaken by Donetsk 'Republic' authorities rather than the Russian themselves.. It makes little practical difference, however, as the Donetsk Republic is a puppet state of Putin's and is recognised by absolutely nobody except Russia.

DarkBrig

War Hero
Maybe I've missed it by why are they not being treated as POW's, I thought only spy's were sentenced to death?

Latest Threads