British men captured by Moscow's forces appear on state TV and ask to be exchanged for pro-Russian oligarch...

No, he was under house arrest awaiting trial and he tried to escape. It is normal when you breach your bail conditions to be locked up, because you have proved you can't be trusted.
Ukrainian law places a limit on how long a person can be held under house arrest, which in this case was exceeded. I've no doubt his defence will argue that as the period of lawful detention had expired he was wholly entitled to go where he wished.

There was no attempt by the authorities to extend his detention through the courts that I'm aware of - if anyone knows different I'd be grateful for a source.

Ukrainian law places a limit on how long a person can be held under house arrest, which in this case was exceeded. I've no doubt his defence will argue that as the period of lawful detention had expired he was wholly entitled to go where he wished.

There was no attempt by the authorities to extend his detention through the courts that I'm aware of - if anyone knows different I'd be grateful for a source.

It had been extended by the courts.

The best thing for them both, frankly. They can now no longer simply disappear as they've been acknowledged on state TV. At worst, they might get a couple of kickings (not good, obviously, but at least far less likely they'll be shot).
Couldn't agree more.
I reckon the uglyorc won't be swapped any time soon. He must know a bit for such a blatant trade to be offered. Rather doomed him in court.

Kiev authorities said that mr.Medvedchuk tried to escape - so of course it must be true.
Mr.Medvedchuk hasn't access to a lawyer. He hasn't ability to fill a lawsuit to a court about his detention.
No one independent source could confirm what really has happened.
It is quite possible that mr.Medvedchuk being under house arrest and being guarded was just detained and placed into a jail without any court decision.
Anyway if somebody is put into detention without access to a lawyer then the detention is illegal. Probably you are not aware about this detail. In Russia such a detention would be illegal. As for the UK then probably it would be illegal as well.
Murdering British citizens to placate your dictator is illegal
Poisoning political opponents tends to be illegal, but in Russia it seems to be compulsory

Anyway if somebody is put into detention without access to a lawyer then the detention is illegal. Probably you are not aware about this detail. In Russia such a detention would be illegal. As for the UK then probably it would be illegal as well.
So keeping everyone of the 3,000,000+ German POW until 1955 and 760,000+ Japanese POW until 1950 was a criminal act then.

My you lot are a regular Mafia

If they are members of Ukrainian armed forces they are of POW status as per LOAC ,albeit that makes little difference to their captors.
Apparently both have Ukrainian other halves. They were both fully signed up members of the Ukrainian Armed Forces. They should be treated as CPERs, but the Russian are just being dicks for the local audience.

The Russian Federation - World champions in the advocacy of human rights and international law.

Yeah sounds like he likes fighting c*nts.

Unless you’re pro Assad/Moscow.

In which case do one comrade.
As pointed out, there's nothing particularly nice about the YPG, in spite of their whitewashed, pro-Women pro-LGBT inclusive smokescreen. 80% of the Syrian Arab population in Northern Syria that has been displaced by the PYD/YPG (and their 'close links' with the PKK) are unlikely to agree with you.

Last edited:

DesktopCommando

On ROPS
On ROPs
They are also members of the Ukrainian Military, being British subjects has nothing to do with our Government for retrieval, they should be treated within the terms of POWs

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Awfully accurate I hope.
Mr.Medvedchuk is a MP and a leader of the main opposition party. He is now in detention without court decision.
This situation on the British soil had apparent (but thanks God imaginary) analogy - mr.Kennedy detained without court decision in 2003 and there are propositions to exchange him for people captured by Saddam forces.
‘Opposition Party’? Really, you have no concept of ‘opposition’ it simply is not allowed in Russia or you just ‘disappear’.

I know you know this, it’s why you and your millions of chums toe the Putin line, but it seems Medvedchuk is just finding out, like the over 20,000 Russian dead in Putin’s pointless war, that he is utterly worthless to a man who thinks only in terms of his own ghastly ego.

Never have the Russians been a more ‘little’ people.