British Man Released From Pakistani Prison

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Interceptor, Nov 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So, Pervez Musharraf has done the decent thing and let Mirza Tahir Hussain out of prison. Probably the best news of the week so far.

18 years for a crime he didn't commit. That's longer than the A-Team got.

Here's the story from the Beeb.

I hope the press leave him alone to get back to normal life, but I bet he'll be dragged through the mill.

I

2. Huzzah!!!

Great news for the man and his family.

Also a good sign for the balance of power in Pakistan's law making community. This is a blow for the influence of the hardline islamics and their interpretation of Sharia law. Hopefully this will set a precedent for future ruling's where secular law takes priority over Sharia.

3. Good to hear. Sense prevails. He didn't commit the crime of murder but he did kill the fella in self defence. Sharia Law is an arrse.

4. I heard that this bloke was, prior to his imprisonment, a fellow STAB. Anything heard on this?

5. jmj

jmj Old-Salt

He was, according to the BBC.

6. Excellent news , let's hope the poor sod is not traumatsed beyond help.

7. Hmm 18 years in a Pakistani jail....I wonder...

8. It's worth noting that this week, Pakistani MP's voted to repeal a section of the Sharia laws which discriminated against rape victims. It seems Musharraf is slowly but surely trying to dismantle the hardline Islamism which Zia-ul-Haq introduced in 1979. Good news.

9. Yes Pakistani jails are notoriously harsh places. It's a shame we can't ship some of our genuine criminals there (like the Kriss Donald killers perhaps :twisted: ).

10. In the TA since 17 - he's got 5 tours to get in!.

11. Wonder if he can rejoin his old unit?

12. I bet he can't wait! His kit will be a little out of date. Probably still got putees...

13. It'd be good if his old unit sent someone round to welcome him home. And check his 1157, of course.

14. Best news this week, I hope he gets all the time he needs to come to terms with the travisty of justice over the last 18 years.

And yes his old unit should at least send someone round to welcome him back.

Good luck Mirza

15. What I find telling about the character of Mirza Tahir Hussain, and shows him in a very favourable light, are some of the quotes from him.

From the very understandable. "Freedom is a great gift. I want to use this freedom to get to know my family again, to adjust back to living here and to come to terms with my ordeal."

To. "My thoughts remain with all the prisoners I have left behind." Which shows a compassion for his fellow inmates that is heart warming. Most would just want to forget everything about the horrible experience rather than keep it in their thoughts.

And I haven't seen anything negetive from him so far, and that after the way he has been treated.