British Lions tour to South Africa 2021

I reckon a few players on the bench/ in the stand merit a shot for the third test. I still think Watson at 14 is brilliant, the tactics for SA just don't give him the opportunity to showcase his talents.

Gabion Groyne

War Hero
Why did we persist with the high ball when it was obvious it was just gifting them possession? Also, their tactics were spot on as they did the same thing and we were shte at catching said high ball. Why are Gatland's tactics so one-dimensional that he never varies them to utilise the backs.

Deeply frustrated at that performance to the extent that, to me, AWJ is finished and needs to be replaced by Beirne for next week.

Just watching the Sky wash up. It’ll be interesting this week how the media war pans out. Danielle Waterman made a statement that backs up what I’ve been going on about for years. She said when she played in World Cups, the meeting going through the manner etc of the referee was almost as long as the team tactics meeting. The game is so subjective on the referee that it’s just wrong. The referee is the star. That’s fundamentally wrong. It’s so technical that it’s all down to the ref in close games. Also, the Saffas are the champions of anti rugby.
Moving on to team selection. Surely Hogg will be replaced by Sanjay. I would drop AWJ (Gatland won’t), move Lawes to 5 and bring Bierne in. Owens out for me, LCD to the bench and Jamie George to start. VDM out of the squad, bring Adams in.

Going back through the contentious decisions. Kolbe should have been sent off and Am’s try shouldn’t have stood. Game changing refereeing decisions

edit. They’ve just brought up O’Keefe sending off Koroibete in Brisbane a couple of weeks back. I think that shocking decision influenced his decision yesterday.

Be surprised if some of these don’t get more of an airing as the week goes on. Still can’t understand how kolbe didn’t get a red for that tackle on Murray. The tackle by Faf doesn’t look great. Seen yellow for similar in the past. Itojes knee, when slowed down like that looks a cheap shot that could get him in bother if looked at. Not sure what Hogg is doing. I see he’s came out and released a statement denying any biting.
All said, ref next week is going to have to have a massive spine and a keen eye for this “cup final”.

Ref had a shocker.
As the commentator this side said, probably the longest first half in history.
Lot if needle at vd merwe, it seems, which the ref didn't understand.
Most annoying... I can see the f..king stadium! And had tickets.

Be surprised if some of these don’t get more of an airing as the week goes on. Still can’t understand how kolbe didn’t get a red for that tackle on Murray. The tackle by Faf doesn’t look great. Seen yellow for similar in the past. Itojes knee, when slowed down like that looks a cheap shot that could get him in bother if looked at. Not sure what Hogg is doing. I see he’s came out and released a statement denying any biting.
All said, ref next week is going to have to have a massive spine and a keen eye for this “cup final”.
Someone should have told him the meaning of "taking the knee" :-D

For Faf to do a high tackle, he has to jump. So it must have been premeditated.
Anyway he deserves a red for having a silly name and a haircut to match.
All springboks have silly names.
It is a qualification for the job.
In fact, most Dutchmen have silly names, mostly because their Calvinist background gives them about 6 biblical names.
Kwagga? Yes, named after a zebra.
Other boks of the past include Meat, tons, doppies, little lamb, tank and naas.
Small shirts, Wang and Bismarck as well

I don't care who he picks for next week as long as we play proper rugby and not the poorly executed, negative, turgid anti-rugby that was played yesterday, box kick - fail, try and collect box kick - fail, scrum, scrum collapse. box kick - fail, bomb - fail, fumble, scrum, collapsed scrum, pen. Rinse and repeat.

He is, that is a fact, no matter how much you claim otherwise. He is no doubt an excellent player and a fine captain, but somebody else should have had the p!ace.

I was of that view but, being fair, I think he's played above average games in these particular test. Never thought I'd say that.

Penfold

Clanker
Faf just stopped after that tackle waiting for the whistle.

Only seen the highlights, but the match officials did not have a good one, they certainly bottled the red card. The ref might have told the captains that he was happy to keep going to the cards but totally failed to back that up.

I am possibly influenced by rugby league, but I am ok with the downward pressure for the try. Not sure of the exact wording of the law to say one way or the other for the technical merit.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Faf just stopped after that tackle waiting for the whistle.

Only seen the highlights, but the match officials did not have a good one, they certainly bottled the red card. The ref might have told the captains that he was happy to keep going to the cards but totally failed to back that up.

I am possibly influenced by rugby league, but I am ok with the downward pressure for the try. Not sure of the exact wording of the law to say one way or the other for the technical merit.

Not just Faf, the 10 also stops immediately and flings arms up in an act of innocence

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I wonder how much the officials were influenced by the shenanigans of Rassie over the past week where the officials from the last game were not missed on his bizarre podcasts?

Citing Commissioner looking at

VdM tip tackle on Peter-Steph du Toit.

Maco V first minute of match contact to head with shoulder on Etzebeth

Hogg alleged bite to le Roux

Itoje for taking the knee

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Is that all?

Nothing from the Boks?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

No wah? If so that's really taking the piss.

Latest Threads