British Lions tour to South Africa 2021

Hopefully Wyn Jones will be fit for next week. Hopefully the backs will improve. I’m not sure that I would change many of the personnel given the options available.

I might select Adams ahead of Watson on the wing, not because I don’t rate Watson - I do - but Adams is on fire on this tour.

There does need to be an all round improvement though.

Gabion Groyne

War Hero
It's a game I'm happy we've won, but the overall performance was lacking with a lot of poor decision making and lost 50/50s and basically I think we were dead lucky.

The second-half front row subs made a huge difference to the stability of the scrum, but then I think overall our replacements were better than theirs with the glaring exception of Farrell who has failed on every occasion to justify his selection. He appears to be there to kick points and nothing else and to me isn't test quality.

Next week I'd like to see Harris back (at least on the bench) as I think he's proved himself and shown himself to be more creative than today's centres.

It's going to be very hard to create any space to bring the backs in for a run so don't think we'll be seeing much more than we saw today and it'll be nip and tuck again

... Farrell who has failed on every occasion to justify his selection. He appears to be there to kick points and nothing else and to me isn't test quality.

Next week I'd like to see Harris back (at least on the bench) as I think he's proved himself and shown himself to be more creative than today's centres.
Completely agree - Farrell has been awful for ages now and he was awful today. One particularly poor kick from hand gave me flashbacks to just how bad England have been this year with Youngs, Ford and Farrell

Henshaw had a poor game and Daly had a shocker. When your Centres are off, it takes out the back three, which showed today.

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
Completely agree - Farrell has been awful for ages now and he was awful today. One particularly poor kick from hand gave me flashbacks to just how bad England have been this year with Youngs, Ford and Farrell

Henshaw had a poor game and Daly had a shocker. When your Centres are off, it takes out the back three, which showed today.
This Scotsman was pretty happy to see Farrell lining up that final penalty though...

True. But the dilemma is that Henshaw and Daly are both class acts. It’s a question of whether this was an off day for both of them, or whether for some reason they are both off the pace at this stage of the tour. Bloody hard question, but the Lions management team has all the tools it needs to work that out. Another issue is who plays if they don’t. I personally don’t rate Bundee Aki for instance, but clearly Gatland does. Likewise I’m not a huge fan of Farrell.

Generally I do have faith in Warren Gatland as a coach who has two very good Lions tours under his belt as well as a highly successful spell with Wales.

It will be interesting to see the see the starting XV for the next test.

True. But the dilemma is that Henshaw and Daly are both class acts. It’s a question of whether this was an off day for both of them, or whether for some reason they are both off the pace at this stage of the tour. Bloody hard question, but the Lions management team has all the tools it needs to work that out. Another issue is who plays if they don’t. I personally don’t rate Bundee Aki for instance, but clearly Gatland does. Likewise I’m not a huge fan of Farrell.

Generally I do have faith in Warren Gatland as a coach who has two very good Lions tours under his belt as well as a highly successful spell with Wales.

It will be interesting to see the see the starting XV for the next test.
Fair point about Aki, who is a Poundland Tuilagi and Farrell who is a busted flush.

I think Charris has to be given a shot next game, probably in place of Daly.

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
As an Englishman, Farrell's kicking from the tee is no longer a safe thing. In particular, he missed a hatful a few times recently.
I can see that, however, you and I are starting with different expectations when a kicker approaches the tee :D

I still remember the days when Kenny Logan was ours...

It wasn't pretty, but the Lions scored more points than the 'Boks which, at the end of the day is what matters.

That is one way of looking at it. But others might wonder why the two teams scored the points that they did at the times that they did.

For instance, it might be instructive to see why the Lions gave away so many needless penalties, resulting in a significant points deficit at halftime. Or why it proved impossible to conjure up a try from the backs which is, after all, the classic forwards win the ball, backs score ideal of the game.

Yes it was a win, but we should be looking for more than just that.

That is one way of looking at it. But others might wonder why the two teams scored the points that they did at the times that they did.

For instance, it might be instructive to see why the Lions gave away so many needless penalties, resulting in a significant points deficit at halftime. Or why it proved impossible to conjure up a try from the backs which is, after all, the classic forwards win the ball, backs score ideal of the game.

Yes it was a win, but we should be looking for more than just that.
I agree. Like everything in life one should look at what went well and what can be improved on. That said I’m a firm believer in the end result. At work I’m frequently looking back at situations that don’t go according to plan but ended up with the desired effect. We recently did our annual training covering arrest and restraint. As the trainers said, for all the fancy techniques we teach, as long as the cuffs go on-result. No one remembers the tactics, skills or performance of say the 2003 RWC final, just the result.

No one remembers the tactics, skills or performance of say the 2003 RWC final, just the result.
I know what you mean, but I don’t agree. I would rather see the Lions lose 33-30 in an absolute thriller than see them win 3-0 in a total borefest.

I am a member of my local rugby club, which will never amount to much but which I identify with and which my son has grown up with. I like to see them playing good rugby at their level, but they’re never going to be premiership contenders.

I have supported Wales through their great years and through the really bad times. But what that means to me is that I am part of that whole journey. It is not just about the result in the record book. It is about being a part of a joint communal effort, and the camaraderie that that brings.

They are my team and I support them in good times and bad.

It's a game I'm happy we've won, but the overall performance was lacking with a lot of poor decision making and lost 50/50s and basically I think we were dead lucky.

The second-half front row subs made a huge difference to the stability of the scrum, but then I think overall our replacements were better than theirs with the glaring exception of Farrell who has failed on every occasion to justify his selection. He appears to be there to kick points and nothing else and to me isn't test quality.

It's going to be very hard to create any space to bring the backs in for a run so don't think we'll be seeing much more than we saw today and it'll be nip and tuck again
The real problem is that the two faced back stabbing coward of a snake Harris is a one position pony, Farrell/Daly are crap in many positions which allows Gatland some freedom. It goes the same with starting with Biggar and putting Russell or Smith on the bench, it limits the other replacement options in a 5/3 or 6/2 split.

I suspect that it will be Harris for Daly and Williams for Hogg in the 2nd test. with the original front 5 starting. Curry will be lucky to be in the starting 15, the stupid late hit on Faf was because he wound him up in the A game and highlights a lack of big test game smarts on TCs part ( 2 of the 3 penalties were from TC). Swtiching TC with Watson, who plays the percentages a bit better and then allowing TC to attack a fatigued Bok ruck late in the match would fit the Lions possession game better.

I appreciate that Gatland knows a shit load more aboiut coaching and tactics than I do but I've won as many test series in SA as he has ie 0 :twisted:

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
The real problem is that the two faced back stabbing coward of a snake Harris is a one position pony, Farrell/Daly are crap in many positions which allows Gatland some freedom. It goes the same with starting with Biggar and putting Russell or Smith on the bench, it limits the other replacement options in a 5/3 or 6/2 split.

I suspect that it will be Harris for Daly and Williams for Hogg in the 2nd test. with the original front 5 starting. Curry will be lucky to be in the starting 15, the stupid late hit on Faf was because he wound him up in the A game and highlights a lack of big test game smarts on TCs part ( 2 of the 3 penalties were from TC). Swtiching TC with Watson, who plays the percentages a bit better and then allowing TC to attack a fatigued Bok ruck late in the match would fit the Lions possession game better.

I appreciate that Gatland knows a shit load more aboiut coaching and tactics than I do but I've won as many test series in SA as he has ie 0 :twisted:
What's Harris done?

Hogg didn't really do much wrong, bar a couple of slips.
Watson was very lucky not to have cost the Lions the game by getting a needless yellow or red.

If I had to pick my team for the next test (from the squad, obvs) it would be:

Vunipola - Scrummaged well enough to show that he can be trusted from the start
Owens - More solid than LCD
Furlong - Kept the huge RSA front row in check
Itoje - Best lock in the world right now
AWJ - Hid captaincy seems to work and he puts himself about
Lawes - Just the brutality the Lions need
Curry - Had an off game, but he is a better player than that
Simmonds - Having a bit of pace is just what we need rather than just crash ball every time
Price - Did just enough to start
Smith - Tough on Biggar who was OK, but we need the ball to shift out a bit more
DVdM - Quiet, but remains a threat
Henshaw - Only because we haven't got anyone else
Harris - Ditto
Adams - Would be good to see him back
Hogg - When he sparks, he is the best in the world

Sutherland - Vunipola was better, so Sutherland goes to the bench
LCD - Harsh, but Owens had more control, so LCD becomes a 'finisher'
Sinckler - Ditto
Hill - Looks in form. Could easily have another back rower in this spot and rely on Lawes as Lock cover
Faletau - Something different to try at 8 - Conan was decent, but didn't really do anything special
Murray - Keeps his place
Daly - Had a shocker. Gets on the bench only because we need cover for several positions and Farrell is super shit
Watson/LRZ - Depends whether you want the 15 cover or not and if Gats would trust Daly at 15

What's Harris done?
Honestly...

Post 6Ns 2018/19 season when the Falcons were locked in a massive relegation battle with Tigers, Harris who had apparently secured his relegation clause contract with Gloucester waved through any player that decided to come down the 13 channel and protect himself for a future payday.

On top of that when the club could have left him without a contract and money after a lengthy injury, they decided in their naivety to keep supporting him and paying for the treatment and insurance when he was out of contract, the payback from the player still rankles slightly at KP as you can perhaps imagine, a year on loan wouldn't have hurt his chances in the RWC and Newcastle would have justifiably celebrated their first Lion since Wilko in 2001.

1627202566290.png

:-D

Statistics

War Hero
I've a bad feeling Will Greenwood is one of Stuart Barnes' Horcruxes.......he's becoming more annoying and Barnes-like with every game he commentates on!

I’m quite amazed at some of the comments but not surprised. I can’t believe people are slating Tom Curry. He had a great game till he got hooked. Yeah he pinged Faf but I’ll get him a pint for that as the little pr1ck needs a slap. The same people slating him praising Watson who was lucky not to get a red card is a bit hypocritical to say the least. I don’t know if anyone watched the Lions Breakfast but both WG and SW were full of praise for Farrell. What do they know though. Also I thought LCD was good too. Scored at try into the bargain.
I don’t know if Gatland will make big changes for next week. Maybe start Mako but he did well off the bench. I don’t think he’ll tinker much.

Latest Threads