British Legion charity box thieves let off by Judge

FURIOUS war veterans blasted a judge yesterday after he freed a couple who used their two-year-old daughter to steal Poppy Appeal tins.
Michael Bailey and pregnant girlfriend Sabrina Burton, both 25, used the tot as a decoy before slipping the boxes into her buggy.

Horrified neighbours tipped off police after recognising the pair in CCTV snaps printed in The Sun. The couple stole three poppy tins and a Multiple Sclerosis charity box in Headington, Oxford, last year.

Court ... Michael Bailey and Sabrina Burton
INS News Agency
The tins are thought to have contained hundreds of pounds.

But junkie Bailey - who spent all his money on heroin - was let off with a six-month suspended sentence after admitting theft. He must attend six months of rehab.

Oxford Crown Court Judge Julian Hall said he would not jail him because his crimes were "drugs-driven" and "the money involved is very little".

Burton got a 12-month supervision order and a six-month drug rehab order after admitting taking two charity boxes. Judge Hall told her: "I'll give you a chance to put your life in order. Your baby deserves it."

But Terry Cox, 58, of the Royal British Legion in Headington, said: "What they are saying is, 'Don't bother giving money to the Poppy Appeal because some drug addict can steal it and nothing gets done." Ex-soldier Chris Mapplethorpe added the ruling was an insult to British troops.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...aiders-Michael-Bailey-and-Sabrina-Burton.html

Scum

Bring back public flogging I say :D

PoGs

www.pocketcomms.com

Steal £50 out a bank get 5yrs
Steal £100's in that situation and it's OK!!,dual standard's?

There again it was OK for the MP'S to do it and get away with it

Surprised it went to court in the first place.
Nothing is sacred in this country now-a-days.
Personally I'd have birched the pair of them.

I live in a fairly expensive area, but DSS scroungers seem to have found their way in nonetheless. They think nothing of living off my taxes, stealing and vandalising my posessions, doing their very best to initimidate and inconvenience. They're pissed all hours of the day and don't go to work so they're blasting music or revving their illegally modified, untaxed cars most of the night. They're horribly unhealthy and a massive drain on the NHS (which I also pay for, but don't use) and in years to come will no doubt drain it even more as they die untimely deaths from smoking/drunking/drug/fat induced illnesses. Oh, and their (huge number of) kids are fast becoming scum.

I despise them with every fibre of my being. This couple should be publicly decapitated or burned alive.

they look at you like a madman if you suggest you can solve the heroin problem in say Brighton and hove in a weekend for £10k
hire a van
industrial wood chipper
lots of black bags
a silenced pistol couple of hundred rounds
some sharp knives
some disposable coveralls plenty of bleach and the hire of a boat for an hour or so. :twisted:

"Oxford Crown Court Judge Julian Hall said he would not jail him because his crimes were "drugs-driven" and "the money involved is very little". "

What about the principle? What about tough on crime, the causes et al? I think daft and dodery old judges should be made to retire at 50, as decisions like this make me realise the feckers don't live in the real world.

brighton hippy said:
they look at you like a madman if you suggest you can solve the heroin problem in say Brighton and hove in a weekend for £10k
hire a van
industrial wood chipper
lots of black bags
some sharp knives
some disposable coveralls plenty of bleach and the hire of a boat for an hour or so. :twisted:
Are you sure a couple of hundred rounds is enough ?

brighton hippy said:
hire a van
industrial wood chipper
lots of black bags
some sharp knives
Why bother?

Take an unoccupied Scottish Island, place half a dozen Nissen Huts there filled with Heroin, Cocaine and any other seized illegal drugs.

Have a one way boat taking all the druggies there. Have large pits dug and burn the dead ones once a month.

Crime drops, Benefit claiming drops and free prescriptions drop and they get all the free drugs they want.

Sorted

MittMayo said:
brighton hippy said:
hire a van
industrial wood chipper
lots of black bags
some sharp knives
Why bother?

Take an unoccupied Scottish Island, place half a dozen Nissen Huts there filled with Heroin, Cocaine and any other seized illegal drugs.

Have a one way boat taking all the druggies there. Have large pits dug and burn the dead ones once a month.

Crime drops, Benefit claiming drops and free prescriptions drop and they get all the free drugs they want.

Sorted
MM,
Can we cut the coke with something nasty like anthrax or something equally nasty to make it painful?

AND.....We can get the doley's to work for their money by having them bury the dead!!Win win for all!

Apparently the local council in conjunction with the Regional NHS have started a charity box exchange scheme whereby drug addicts can come and exchange their empty charity box for a full one stolen by a member of the council so the drug addict doesn't have to risk injury by stealing their own. A spokeswoman for the scheme said that so far it was working very well although there does seem to have been a knock on effect of a lot of premature deaths amongst Multiple Sclerosis sufferers and old soldiers in the town but they were thought to be unrelated. It had been determined that this new scheme has had a significant effect in reducing convictions for larceny amongst drug takers who, let's not forget are the true victims here.

spike7451 said:
MittMayo said:
brighton hippy said:
hire a van
industrial wood chipper
lots of black bags
some sharp knives
Why bother?

Sorted
MM,
Can we cut the coke with something nasty like anthrax or something equally nasty to make it painful?

AND.....We can get the doley's to work for their money by having them bury the dead!!Win win for all!
I like it. Community service perhaps?

It would only be coke in appearance, who knows what it would be cut with :twisted:

263A said:
Steal £50 out a bank get 5yrs
Steal £100's in that situation and it's OK!!,dual standard's?

There again it was OK for the MP'S to do it and get away with it
This couple are leading by example, if it's good enough for MP's then other's (junkie scum) will jump on the bandwagon to feed their filthy habit!

Gather the whole lot of them up to use as target practice on a far away island :x

There's a lot of outrage bus, knee-jerk commentary on this thread, which demonstrates exactly how newspapers like The Sun manipulate public reaction.

The detail in the article is so little that no one reading it can possibly know the intricacies of the court case itself - and nothing is ever as it seems. The couple were not "let off" - they received suspended sentences, and rehabilitation orders. I think a good many ARRSErs are quite happy to penalise the judicial system when they hand down sentences that aren't life imprisonment, and equally happy to lambast them when they experience the weight of the law personally!

What can possibly be gained by locking up the parents of one unborn and one two year old? Isn't the criminal justice system about punishment and rehabilitation? Do we want to end up like the US, which counts for 5% of the world's population, yet holds 25% of its prison population? While I agree that "Community Justice" is a badly-thought out, badly executed idea, I would not wish to jail everyone for everthing. It simply serves no purpose.

Furthermore, there are tarifs and sentencing reports, reports that recommend strongly the course to be followed - what is greater, the cost to the taxpayer of jailing this pair, or the cost of their crime? Evidently what they did was wicked and utterly unacceptable, but have you considered their own miserable lives? They are both dependent on heroin. Their child will be dependent on heroin and they have no chance of a decent job.

As for those who blast the judge, again there are TARIFS, rules that govern sentencing and judges do not have the luxury of being armchair critics: they must consider every aspect of a case, and sentence accordingly. Go down to your local magistrates court and see the real people dealing with real cases who are very much in touch - unlike several of your good selves.

There is a vast amount more to be said on this subject, and a good deal for people to learn. Yes by all means be angry at a wicked and low crime, but don't be so bloody silly in your responses. I have recommended this before, and I do so again, for an in depth and perceptive look at the justice system that serves YOU, your friends and family, and deals with exactly these people day in, day out.

http://thelawwestofealingbroadway.blogspot.com/

Rant over!

edited to say: *puts handbag away*

I don't see how sparing drug addicted parents prison time or a harsher punishment will set a good example to anyone. How can they be judged as fit and proper parents? Kids into care, prison for the parents. Sets a precedent that having children and blaming drugs is no defence or excuse.

theprior said:
<snip>
What can possibly be gained by locking up the parents of one unborn and one two year old? <snip>
Gained? Kids taken away from a pair of drug-addled low lives whose primary focus is upon where their next fix is coming from and instead placed with parents who care for them, look after them in a manner where hard drugs, petty crime, self-induced illness aren't a factor in almost every waking hour of their existence, and who give them the chance to be the sort of generally decent, occasionally mischevious kids the nation wants rather than condemning them to their inevitable fate of becoming part of that uneducable, fequently drunk, often violent, rude, drug-adicted, anti-social, ASBO-wielding, overly-fecund feral chav scum strata of society in which their two parents wallow?

Which means I'd call saving the pair of kids from their parents a 'gain', personally...

Sid_Ruff said:
"Oxford Crown Court Judge Julian Hall said he would not jail him because his crimes were "drugs-driven" and "the money involved is very little". "
I worked, loosely, with a contractor, who was a small time dealer. He got caught, interestingly, after plod stopped his mate driving behind him and gobby stopped too and tried to berate the coppers for having no reason for the 'stop', they decided that gobby twat needed a tug too, and they searched his car (A BMW 318i coupe, how predictable :roll: ) They found IIRC a few gram of class A (I'd have to dig out the paper-clipping for the full details). Anyway, when it went to court his brief told to play the user/victim card (He wasn't) and so got a slap on the wrist (No custodial) and told to go on his way. :x

Latest Threads