British Legion and Rememberance Parades

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by taffcraven, Jul 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have noticed that Rememberance parades are getting smaller, is this the same around the UK or just in my area? Ex-Squaddies don't seem to want to join the ranks on the Rememberance parades, is this because the Royal British Legion has been seen as a WWII club for so long and they have ignored the fact that there have been other conflicts since 1945? What can be done to encourage lads to go on parade after they have left the service?
  2. My personal opinion based on 2 differant RBL branches is that the hierachy consisted of civvies more worried about committees and who was senoir to who than anything else and I'll be f*cked if I'm going to get involved with that crap. The WW11 club is there but I didn't find that a problem.

I'd rather go to a rememberance parade as part of a group but as I said I'll not be f*cked about by a bunch of civvies, so I go on my own or with a couple of mates and pay our respects.
  3. Apart from a break of 13 years at St Paul's services followed by tea & buns with the Lord Mayor (for some strange reason always well supported), I have done the same village parade since 1968.

The format is the same - 800 yds slightly downhill from club to sedate music, laying of poppy/cross thing for each name then wreaths. Last Post sounded, silence, Rouse sounded. Short prayer then into church. Service, betting on length of sermon, 2 verses of the Queen, then form up and parade back to more jaunty music, beer(s) in club.

Then - 7 or 8 standards, 80 or 90 marching veterans, plus similar Scouts/Guides/Brownies. Club is British Legion and beer flows throughout afternoon

Now - 3 standards, 6 or 7 marching veterans, 10scouts or guides or Brownies (they take it in turns). Club is now village, and more playing pool while service is on than in parade. A drink then away as remaining RBL don't feel welcome.

I've never joined the RBL, but I'm usually parading at all times in a Corps of Drums. Sometimes I've sounded 4 or 5 times in a day because I was needed, now there aren't the services.

In the past (and in its heyday) the RBL was 'world-war' oriented and had the numbers, I think they neglected Korea - but most Korea veterans were ex-WWII (is this right?) or pressed men (conscripts). A big gap thereon, and no-one saw fit to 'celebrate' the problems in Northern Ireland.

I don't think the membership side of life is irretrieveable, but (as with everything) there are so many other things to do than sit and have a pint with your old mates. With many RBL sites/clubs sold as they were becoming a drain on (rather than boost to) funds a new way has to be found, and this could be current units (Reg/TA) hosting the occasional event for anyone in the area (Walts excepted). Unfortunately there are fewer locations with any kind of 'hospitality' facilities, so this means extra work.

I wonder how long all the different funds/organisations can continue?. Will they all eventually merge into a Veterans Agency-sponsored group or even SSAFA?. The web & email is now available to at least break the back of the admin overhead, although many of the old & bold would still be at the mercy of the Post Office.

Whatever changes are made, they need to be made soon.

Good issue taffcraven.
  4. I moved house last year and joined the local RBL, Ive only been in there twice as both times I did go in the place it seemed to be full of associate members (as stated earlier) more worried about committees, I know associate members are needed to keep membership levels up but they invade these places and use them to their own agendas which isnt what the RBL is there for in my opinion.