• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

British is best - again

In Britain we do an awful lot of things very well indeed. Unfortunately it doesn't sell the news papers and the frothing " this country is going to the dogs" brigade ignore all that sort of stuff

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
What the **** does a routine emergency landing have to do with the state of the nation?

The pilot probably learnt his trade abroad where it's considerably cheaper.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Actually ravers, probably nothing to do with the state of the nation, but British Airways did do well with what is not a routine emergency but a big shitty one which could have been worse but for the professionalism of the crew.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
When someone mentions British Airways, three things spring to mind:

1. Their fares are nearly twice that of other airlines flying to the same destination.
2. They made that woman remove a tiny cross.
3. Most of their parts and avionics are made in the USA.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
When someone mentions British Airways, three things spring to mind:

1. Their fares are nearly twice that of other airlines flying to the same destination.
2. They made that woman remove a tiny cross.
3. Most of their parts and avionics are made in the USA.
The champagne in business class was certainly French. Taittinger I believe. Not my favourite champagne house but it will do.

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
Good job it wasn't someone of inferior non-English origin flying it......like me..... never get Steam Chicken down safe like Big Fella No1 Missus land born fella.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh, and they can land an aircraft which is completely fubar safely with minimal casualties.

By the same token, they can also try to fly an aircraft which is completely fubar to Oslo.

As a general rule, bits should not fall off a well-maintained aircraft and nor should it burst into flames. You seem to be trying a bit too hard here. What's in it for you?

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Good job it wasn't someone of inferior non-English origin flying it......like me..... never get Steam Chicken down safe like Big Fella No1 Missus land born fella.
MiB - I have no idea what the pilot's origin was, nor the crew, and nor have I intimated in any way that the crew were white, anglo saxon or anything. Origin does not matter, what matters is that a British Airways crew got a stricken aircraft down safely and got all the passengers off without a single major injury. I think you can agree that the crew were professional and employed by British Airways?

British Airways - possibly they have better training than Aeroflot for example. Maybe British Airways have a good culture of safety. As SLF I am rather attracted to an airline whose crew who can land an aircraft which is badly damaged or with no fuel going into the engines and not fly a perfectly functional airbus into the Atlantic or a new Sukhoi into a mountain.

Latest Threads