British is best - again

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mercurydancer, May 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Its been a busy few days for news, but this one came in (literally) this morning. BA aircraft with cowling missing off left engine and fire in right engine lands safely and not a single serious injury.

BBC News - Plane 'fire' closes Heathrow runways

We can do this right when we need to.

2. Like fit engine cowlings correctly before plane takes off ?

• Like Like x 7
  3. Turn a minor incident into a circus?

• Like Like x 1
  4. mercurydancer

One dropping off I can believe, not two.

5. In Britain we do an awful lot of things very well indeed. Unfortunately it doesn't sell the news papers and the frothing " this country is going to the dogs" brigade ignore all that sort of stuff

• Like Like x 5
  6. mercurydancer

Landing an aircraft with bits missing off one engine and another one on fire is not a minor incident. Not when its a two engined aircraft. British Airways crew did a sterling job.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

8. He's just an attention seeking troll, who also uses the compass_tit moniker.
    Ignore would be my suggestion.

9. mercurydancer

Actually ravers, probably nothing to do with the state of the nation, but British Airways did do well with what is not a routine emergency but a big shitty one which could have been worse but for the professionalism of the crew.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mercurydancer

Understood. RQMS tried to bait me over the Woolwich thread but couldn't.

11. Outrageous. It'd cost me £100 a day to take my old diesel into London & it doesn't smoke anything like a badly as that :x

12. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

When someone mentions British Airways, three things spring to mind:

1. Their fares are nearly twice that of other airlines flying to the same destination.
    2. They made that woman remove a tiny cross.
    3. Most of their parts and avionics are made in the USA.

13. mercurydancer

The champagne in business class was certainly French. Taittinger I believe. Not my favourite champagne house but it will do.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mercurydancer

Oh, and they can land an aircraft which is completely fubar safely with minimal casualties.

15. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Good job it wasn't someone of inferior non-English origin flying it......like me..... never get Steam Chicken down safe like Big Fella No1 Missus land born fella.

• Like Like x 1