British/Irish or Irish ?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by redout, Feb 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick question on applying to join the army on http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk . If one goes to pick nationality it only lists Irish Rep/Foreign (presume this is for persons not born in Ireland) and not a Irish Rep only option. Anyway if you pick that it then tells you "You have enquired about serving as an Officer or soldier in the British Army. You have declared that you hold a single nationality that does not satisfy our eligibility criteria. We regret that only those holding British, Commonwealth or Irish citizenship are eligible to serve in the British Army". So my question is do I select the British/Irish Rep option as that seems a bit daft considering it implies dual nationalty ? I was speaking to AFCO Belfast, Palace Barracks during the week and they did not mention this. Not to sure about the whole thing and hoping someone on here can explain it. Last question is why are Irish citizens allowed join the British army and citizens of other countries apart from commonwealth are not ? (more interested in the Irish answer over the commonwealth one which seems pretty self explanatory)

Cheers

2. Yes. Check the British/Irish rep box if they are the only two options.

Not 100% sure though; from what you've told me that sounds like the most suitable option.

Await other replies.

3. Because we're the backbone of the British Army and have been for a looooong time!!! Plus the English secretly love us and would be terrified to go anywhere without us....!;) ( bite away fellas...bite away!!!) :)

4. Yeh -and no other nation exists as a people - not the Scottish, Welsh, English, Manx.....etc - recognising that demands that politicians admit that we have more ethnic groups than there is funding for.

5. Because Irish regiments and soldiers have been in the British Army for years. Also I have heard that the Irish army do very little and so many young men and women, seeking action and adventure, "Jump ship" so to speak.

6. Thanks lads. I'll just give the AFCO Belfast a call in the morning to be on the safe side.

7. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Tell that to the ones that are deployed in Afghan. You don't really learn, do you?

8. It is because our complicated past and Anglo/Irish history. Under British Nationality law ( Nationality Act of 1948) Eire/The Free State/The Republic of Ireland has a distinct legal identity that is not that of either a commonwealth country nor that of a 'foreign' country. This is also all tied up with the North and the fact we had a Common Travel Area (passport free travel between the two countries) long before the EU.
    So convoluted and historical.

9. Any person born in NornIron is eligible automatically for citizenship of the Republic of Ireland. Having two passports is a distinct advantage - the greatest being able to be IRISH

10. Not sure what you mean by that, are you implying that the Irish Defence Forces have deployed to Afghanistan??? I can tell you for a 100% fact that they have not. The only Irish soldiers fighting in Afghanistan were 1 Royal Irish, we returned in October....and a fine job we did too. (not saying that there is no Irish soldiers in the Paras or Marines etc, because there are but, you catch my drift.!) Also, there are loads of lads that have served in the IDF and are now serving British soldiers, also the upper age limit for joing the IDF is very low, 24 I think?? So the British Army provides an outlet for those seeking a military career, and a chance to actually go on ops. Good times all round!;)

11. Err, I think you'll find you're wrong fella. My cousin's husband was out there very recently (He is ARW though) and if you go to the IDF website, you will see that they are currently deployed as part of ISAF in Afghan.

http://www.military.ie/overseas/images/UN_DF_map_large.jpg

Don't forget that even going back 10/15 years ago, it was a case of not what you were but who you knew in order to get into the IDF. I still see JNCO's in their 40's whenever I go home which is bizarre to see considering the entry age is so low.

12. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Best you tell that to the Irish blokes that I served alongside with then. You know, the ones that are providing FP in.. (OPSEC).

13. I done some quick research over the net and found this lot. From what I gather it also seems to more or less work the other way around in regards to British persons and Ireland.

While British and Irish citizens enjoy the right to live in each other's countries under European Union law, the provisions which apply to them are generally more far reaching than those which apply to other European Economic Area nationals. British citizens because of the common travel area were then, with limited exceptions, never treated as foreigners under Irish law.

Unlike Commonwealth citizens however, Irish citizens have never been subject to entry control in the United Kingdom and have a presumed indefinite leave to remain if they move to the UK.

Right of abode is a status under United Kingdom immigration laws that gives an unrestricted right to live in the United Kingdom. It was introduced by the Immigration Act 1971. Because of the Common Travel Area provisions between the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom, Irish citizens have a de-facto right of abode in the United Kingdom.

Irish citizens are automatically deemed to be "settled" in the United Kingdom. This is a more favourable status than that given to citizens of other EU and EEA member states.

14. If you want to be a soldier for a while Redout, come and serve where thousands of your countrymen have served and made a magnificent contribution.

Yes yes, I am an old fart but I recall with great affection the blokes from Eire/ Ireland that I served with. Funny, witty, strong and courageous, great blokes to serve alongside.

Just watch the Blarney.

Good luck.