"British Intelligence and the IRA; the Secret War in NI, 69-88"

Discussion in 'Northern Ireland (Op BANNER)' started by Bravo_Bravo, Dec 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. While Googling E4 stuff I came across this thesis, which I found to be fascinating reading.

I've heard of a fair bit of the stuff mentioned within here and post it in the hope it proves of interest.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA358989

BB

2. That has brought back some memories and is definitely worth a read.

3. ..or alternatively, you could read Urban, Dillon and Holland & Phoenix in the original, as they provided the bulk of the good Lt Comdr's source material. Nothing new and a couple of pretty major misunderstandings in his work. That's an hour of my life I'll never get back.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Interesting, especially when viewed from the perspective of one who worked alongside some of the organisations concerned.

5. BB is a dick.

My Boxing Day cull on FB begins shortly.

6. Let us known your score?

7. I'll keep you.

Even though you touch men xxx

8. I only touch men with bullets.

Wimmin, however, I give personal touches to for meaningful and in depth discourse, intercourse and sympathy of course. But that's only if you can stay the course.

By the way, you left your panties in my car. Do you always wear them for weeks at a time? Never mind, no need to answer that. Suffice it to say that the aroma of fermented soused herring will remain with me as a fond memory of you for years.

• Like Like x 2
  9. He touched my left bullet he did.

10. I took something away from it: the self proclaimed Tyrone Brigade were able, using newly arrived Soviet weaponry and equipment, to require the dispatch of 2 Bns from BAOR... has that really been written about much on Arrse?

What would have happened if they could have continued to receive bucketloads of weaponry and not suffered the losses they did at Loughgall?

11. It's bobbins. Ignore it.

12. You old cynic you. It took me more than an hour to weave through his dissertation.

As a constructive comment, I feel that Lt. Cmdr. Bowlin USN could have discussed his Service who were associated with some alleged unsavoury activities at US Naval base in Clooney circa '69 > 75.
    As I recall, there were allegations of assistance on their part to the nascant PIRA. The 1st. battalion of The Grens had reason to visit and did so in a very assertive manner- 74/75? The base closed in '77? with developing technology given as a reason, thus making the place redundant.

The Republican government of Gerald Ford in the USA at odds with Harold Wilson's Labour in UK were assumed to be the reason for the alleged support of PIRA.

13. Cynic, moi?

I there was any USN support to the 'Ra in those days, I'd be tempted to look at local liaisons - smart young USN officers with Derry and Donegal Dorises, somehow they never seemed to click with their more dour equivalents in the Fountain or Coleraine - for an explanation. Don't think it (assuming it ever happened, which it didn't) was sanctioned or even known about at any level higher than, ooh, around full Commander USN level. Allegedly.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ehwhat

ehwhat Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Ah well, if you liked that bit from September of 1999, then you might take a look at the earlier June offering, "PROTESTANT PARAMILITARIES IN NORTHERN IRELAND, 1969-1992" by LCDR Robert E. Rose. http://edocs.nps.edu/npspubs/scholarly/theses/1999/Jun/99Jun_Rose.pdf There are others. It would appear that 1999 was a good year for a hash of NI.

These are MA theses after all and designed to demonstrate some minimal level of competence and advancement potential for the officers who wrote them. So liberal doses of salt are in order.

Unsurprisingly, the thesis advisers are more interesting than the authors. Rasmussen did some interesting work in South America.

15. Can sooo relate to the 14 int stuff, fond memories. eeeh the things we used to get upto. I sould write a book. Forget all your fridge throwing antics and hear some real situsations. If only I had the time.....