British Infantry Battalion COs in WW1

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Unsure if you mean John Bourne or Brian Bond.

Also to be fair, I personally did that myself many years later in Malacca.
Never ever did find one that failed my extremely discerning tests.
On one occasion though, I did have a heated discussion with the Red Caps on my testing methods.
My bold.

You tested a brothel in a town, which shares it's name with the Greek word for "w*nker"?

Good drills!

μαλάκας
malákas ¦ mal-ak-ah

I've got the book at home " First in the Field - Gault of the Patricia's " by Jeffrey Williams. A biography of The Founder as he is referred to, Andrew Hamilton Gault, but of course goes into detail on the raising of the unit and its service in WW1. Gault, son of a wealthy Montreal family, part-time soldier ( he had served as a Lieutenant near the end of the Boer War), wasn't willing to wait for the Canadian government to organize an expeditionary force in 1914, so put together at his own expense a battalion made up mainly of ex British Army soldiers , with himself as 2IC and ( IIRC) the aide de camp to the governor-general as CO, and presented it to Britain. It was the first Canadian unit to go overseas, and initially served with a British division. PPCLI then joined 3 Canadian Division when it was formed in 1915. Gault continued as 2Ic and was several times acting CO and several times wounded, eventually losing a leg.
I was actually referring to Captain Herbert Cecil Buller, DSO, Kings Royal Rifle Corps. Captain Buller was the first Adjutant of the Regiment, and commanded the PPCLI following the death in action of its first Commanding Officer, Lt Col Francis D Farquhar, DSO, Coldstream Guards,in March 1915. Lt Col Farquhar, was Military Secretary to the Governor General of Canada, HRH Prince Alfred, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (and also the third son of Queen Victoria), when he was appointed to be the first Commanding Officer of the PPCLI in 1914.
Captain Buller was appointed Commanding Officer in the Temporary Rank of Lt Col, when the Majors (Second in Command (2IC), and all four Company Commanders) were wounded. He was killed at the Battle of Sanctuary Wood in June 1916, when command of the Regiment passed to the first Canadian officer, Lt Col Agar Adamson.

Major Hamilton Gault, the Second in Command, was one of the Major's wounded. He later returned to Command the Regiment after Lt Col Adamson, I believe.

... the Governor General of Canada, HRH Prince Alfred, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (and also the third son of Queen Victoria) ...
First off, it warms my heart to see a Saffer and a Scot so knowledgeable about a Canadian regiment. Second, it was the Governor General's daughter, Princess Patricia of Connaught, after whom the regiment was named. She was Colonel of the regiment until her death in 1974. She was succeeded by Patricia Mountbatten, the eldest daughter of Louis Mountbatten. Lady Mountbatten was succeeded in 2007 by Adrienne Clarkson, a former newscaster and Governor General. (Yes, Canada made a television personality its Governor General.)

Cheers,
Dan.

First off, it warms my heart to see a Saffer and a Scot so knowledgeable about a Canadian regiment. Second, it was the Governor General's daughter, Princess Patricia of Connaught, after whom the regiment was named. She was Colonel of the regiment until her death in 1974. She was succeeded by Patricia Mountbatten, the eldest daughter of Louis Mountbatten. Lady Mountbatten was succeeded in 2007 by Adrienne Clarkson, a former newscaster and Governor General. (Yes, Canada made a television personality its Governor General.)

Cheers,
Dan.
Thank you ex-spy. The reason that I was interested in the Princess Pats specifically, as mentioned on another blog, is because my Great Uncle, a former Cameron Highlander, and employee of the Canadian Pacific Railway at the time, along with a fair number of his colleagues from the CP Railway, were among the first 200 men to enlist following the raising of the Regiment. His Regimental Number was 195, and he was killed during the Battle of Flers-Courcelette on the Somme in September 1916.

Lt Col Francis Farquhar, as Military Secretary to the Governor General, asked him personally for permission to name the Regiment after his daughter, Princess Patricia (Elizabeth Patricia) of Connaught. She designed and made their first Colour, the Ric A Dam Doo, which accompanied them to France and Flanders. She relinquished her Royal Title upon marriage to a Naval Officer, but remained as Colonel-in-Chief of the PPCLI.

I was actually referring to Captain Herbert Cecil Buller, DSO, Kings Royal Rifle Corps. Captain Buller was the first Adjutant of the Regiment, and commanded the PPCLI following the death in action of its first Commanding Officer, Lt Col Francis D Farquhar, DSO, Coldstream Guards,in March 1915. Lt Col Farquhar, was Military Secretary to the Governor General of Canada, HRH Prince Alfred, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (and also the third son of Queen Victoria), when he was appointed to be the first Commanding Officer of the PPCLI in 1914.
Captain Buller was appointed Commanding Officer in the Temporary Rank of Lt Col, when the Majors (Second in Command (2IC), and all four Company Commanders) were wounded. He was killed at the Battle of Sanctuary Wood in June 1916, when command of the Regiment passed to the first Canadian officer, Lt Col Agar Adamson.

Major Hamilton Gault, the Second in Command, was one of the Major's wounded. He later returned to Command the Regiment after Lt Col Adamson, I believe.
Yeah it's been a while since I read the book...Adamson was another interesting character, again IIRC a Boer War veteran , militia officer , in his 50s, blind in one eye , on the surface of it an odd choice for a battalion commander in the later part of WW1 ...but apparently a good one. I cant remember whether he was still CO of PPCLI in 1918 . ( I should perhaps say here that the thesis which started this thread does not cover battalion commanders from the Empire armies ). He wrote to his wife ( Mabel ? ) almost every day and excerpts from them are quoted in the documentary series King and Empire . I wonder if they have ever been published ? By the time Adamson took command the makeup of the battalion, like so many units, had very much changed , with many of the replacements ( at least in 1915/16) being Candian university students .

Edited to add:

“Pro patria mori”: The McGill University Companies

Biography – ADAMSON, AGAR STEWART ALLAN MASTERTON – Volume XV (1921-1930) – Dictionary of Canadian Biography

Hamilton Gault was the ‘soul’ of the Patricias

Last edited: