British in irish parade

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Flashpoint, Nov 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I more then likely will be made out to be a bad guy here but i feel its time to invite irish members of the british military to this years saint patricks day parade in dublin, i.e. 1st royal irish and the irish guards etc. How do people feel here about the idea?

2. Should be a good punch up afterwards.

• Like Like x 2
  3. One problem might be that the regiments might have traditional activities of their own that day. I know that my son and I met my wife in London on March 17th when she was returning from Desert Storm (UK= Op Granby} and we walked to Chelsea to see HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother present shamrocks to the Irish Guards. Nice ceremony to watch. I know HM has passed on but I would presume that they have replaced her with another Colonel in Chief and have continue the tradition (but of course I am septic and have limited knowledge of British traditions)

4. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Personally I think it would be a great idea, unfortunately our friends of gerry adams society might try to put spoilers on the event.

5. Whilst in a perfect world a civil and indeed pleasant idea, we cannot parade on UK soil (Belfast) without Sinn Fein throwing a track. IMO the 'plastic RA' that make up a very small proportion of most of the South would be the same if we had a presence (upon invite) to Dublin. Look at the Queen's recent visit for proof. Unfortunatley we still have people who are stuck in the 60s and 70s with sectarian attitudes on both sides of the border.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Why not the Queen had a good time in Dublin along with UDA and UVF members.

7. Considering the RIR rather robusly put down the Easter Rising in Dublin in 1916, I sense it might be a tad sensitive.;P

8. Ah! go on give it a go

9. I think you'll find that the current Royal Irish Regiment has no connection in its antecedent regiments to the Royal Irish Regiment who were involved in Dublin in 1916 - not that many of the locals (like you) would be able to make the distinction.

10. Each city/town/parish in Ireland has a committee to organise its own parade and I think it's a committee under Dublin City Council that organise the St. Patrick's Day parade in Dublin each year. It's now St. Patrick's Festival and I don't think the Irish Defence Forces get an invite even never mind Irish regiments in the British Army. I'm not even sure if they provide the colour party - I think that's the Dublin Fire Brigade. It was the Royal Dublin Fusiliers who fought in Dublin in 1916 and were pasted on Mount Street Bridge.

11. Good idea!

Be a good excuse for a booze up afterwards!

12. great idea in a perfect world, we would see the para's and booties joining whatever parade day the argies have in B.A.

13. The Italians march on Anzac day here, no worries!

14. Sounds like a plan to me! Don't think it'll happen, though.

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They were on our side eventually in both world wars!