British Government Up To Its Old Tricks ?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tomahawk6, Dec 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A British diplomat was expelled for having talks with the Taliban ? Shades of General Richards and Musa Qala.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/12/26/wafg126.x

http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-12-25-voa11.cfm?rss=politics

2. Or just a bunch of totally misguided fuckwits.

3. Quite possibly,but it does seem to undermine the troops in the field.

4. I tend to agree with you on this point,and I reckon that they should face charges when they land back home.

5. All governments speak to 'Terrorists', its part of their duty to help make peace.
    john

6. But aren't the British just doing their usual thing: divide and rule? Which means talks must take place with elements of the Taliban in order to split them. And once you start talking you can't help but negotiate, i.e. "You give me this in exchange for that"? And politicians always lie about negotiating with “terrorists,” putting up some ridiculous smokescreen about ‘talking’ not ‘negotiating’ (a bit like Clinton not having “sex” with “that woman”). Sorry, but what's the problem here? Does anyone claim there's going to be an outright military victory? LOL Just pass them a GCSE history book on Western (and Russian) military involvement in Afghanistan.

7. Probably on the orders of Broon so he can downsize his war costs for the year after next. Don't think such hi ranking 'diplomats' would 'engage' with the enemy without the knowledge of central Govt.

They did it in Iraq and glossed it over as something it wasn't they will do it here.

Good points our people get to come home earlier to a safer environment.

Bad points our standing in the eyes of the rest of the world will take a battering as it looks as we are chased out again..

8. Having read as much as I can find on the subject, I'd say that a large number of fighters aren't really Taleban supporters, more paid employees. Given another source of cash, ie wages from the Government to fight the Taleban, they'd be quite happy to take the Government's money, fight the hard core Taleban fighters, who are frequently not Afghan in orgin, and gain British Forces support and redevolpment aid!

If it saves us bombing every single village and fighting for every compound in Helmand Province then I see no problem with trying to wean tribal groups away from the Taleban.

9. This is an insightful posting by Kitmarlowe. It not only recognises that the Taliban is a description for what is a relatively weakly-linked federation of diverse interests, but also uses this fact as a means for removing some elements from Taliban influence and turning the stronger groups into fighting the Taliban's serious fighters.
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

10. Thank You. I'm almost blushing here.

11. It turns out that it was two senior UN employees that were kicked out of the country, one of them British.

Edited to add - Apparently they were acting outside their remit and may have endangered Afghan Forces. There is also rumour that one of them may have been turned.

12. I really think negotiating with the Taleban (or certain elements of them) is the only chance of beating them. They seem to have endless amounts of new fighters from Pakistan. It's only a matter of time before eventually people in the West just get tired of hearing about soldiers dying in Afghanistan and demand a pull out.

We need to do something similar to the "awakening" in Iraq and pay off some of the Taleban or tribes to fight for us.

13. I suspect this is an entirely separate incident Sven. MI6 agents held a number of discussions, known as "jirgas", with members of the hardline Islamist group, according to a Daily Telegraph report.

If true, the revelation could embarrass Prime Minister Gordon Brown, coming just weeks after he told MPs:
    Mind you, this was also about the time he said he wouldn't call a General Election because Labour would win!

But it could, as Kitmarlowe alludes, be interpreted as building on the stated Government aim of splitting the Taliban and backing efforts by President Hamid Karzai to offer a legitimate place in Afghan society to insurgents willing to renounce violence.

The Telegraph claims around half a dozen meetings took place between MI6 agents and Taliban leaders during the summer. It quotes an unnamed intelligence source as saying:
    It is suggested up to six such meetings took place at houses on the outskirts of Lashkah Gah and in villages in the Upper Gereshk valley, to the north east of Helmand's main town.

Shadow defence secretary Dr Liam Fox said:
    Responding to the Daily Telegraph's allegations, a spokeswoman for the Foreign Office said:
    Except of course, when lying about intelligence to justify going into Iraq.

14. Ex-Grenadier,

That makes perfect sense, there's never going to be enough troops to really secure Lashkah Gah and the Upper Gereshk valley. So, peel the local tribal groups away from the Taleban, and therby help the ANA/ANP keep the peace, improving security and allowing local re-development to start.

That actually makes sense. must have cloned a Political Officer from the Hindu Kush in the 1920's!

15. Same incident. Unless two different sets of diplomats, one set EU and the other UN - both with one of the diplomats being British - have been asked to leave by Karzai.

My information is by way of News24, which has just had a UN spokesman saying that they were acting without remit and were senior UN personalities. Also, the report floated the rumour that one had been turned.