British Government Supports al Qaeda

Poppycock

War Hero
Absent from any news media or discussion that I can find is this assertion from Lord Sikka, made in the House of Lords on Wednesday (18 Aug 2021):

the UK Government have continued to suppress documents relating to their support for al-Qaeda.

LINK: Afghanistan - Wednesday 18 August 2021 - Hansard - UK Parliament

Does anyone know what he's talking about? I know enough about Lord Sikka to be sure he wouldn't have said that without very good cause

Absent from any news media or discussion that I can find is this assertion from Lord Sikka, made in the House of Lords on Wednesday (18 Aug 2021):

LINK: Afghanistan - Wednesday 18 August 2021 - Hansard - UK Parliament

Does anyone know what he's talking about? I know enough about Lord Sikka to be sure he wouldn't have said that without very good cause

Seems pretty clear from his opening statement that he's talking about UK (and other western involvement) in funding the mujahideen that morphed into AQ- 'In the 1970s, western powers were not willing to accept a communist Government in Afghanistan and sought to undermine them by arming and funding the insurgents. The Soviet Union responded by invading in 1979 to prop up its client state. The US and western state powers responded by creating and funding al-Qaeda, yet still there is no reflection on the funding of terrorist organisations to further political objectives—the UK Government have continued to suppress documents relating to their support for al-Qaeda.'

Last edited:

beer

Old-Salt
I think that your linked article makes the statement clear. In the 80s we funded and trained the Afghani Mujahideen, elements of which later became al-Qaeda. Mr Andrew Mcnab even mentions in one of his colouring books that the SAS provided some training to the delightfully named philanthropist Osama bin Mohammed bin Awad bin Laden.

Tinfoil hat?

Poppycock

War Hero
the UK Government have continued to suppress documents relating to their support for al-Qaeda.'
Aye, there are a lot of nuances in his speech and semantics that could be argued over, but the point remains that the government is suppressing evidence of the relationships he's talking about.

If he is referring to the 1980s funding of the Mujahideen, what could justify the continued secrecy given all the publicly available info on that topic?

Aye, there are a lot of nuances in his speech and semantics that could be argued over, but the point remains that the government is suppressing evidence of the relationships he's talking about.

If he is referring to the 1980s funding of the Mujahideen, what could justify the continued secrecy given all the publicly available info on that topic?

Embarrassment, and the potential for some to conflate what occurred in the '80s with the current train wreck, especially if, God forbid, British lives are lost before all can be extracted.

Poppycock

War Hero
Given that you ask early on "Does anyone know what he's talking about?" isn't your chosen title a little un-nuanced?
Yep.

I know the title is 100% accurate

I have a strong suspicion about what Sikka is asking (what funding avenues were used, i.e. who did we give the money to) and was fishing for more info.

Yep.

I know the title is 100% accurate

I have a strong suspicion about what Sikka is asking (what funding avenues were used, i.e. who did we give the money to) and was fishing for more info.
Then your first post is 100% wrong.

A lot of bods thought that supporting AQ against the Russians was supporting the barbarians against Rome at the time. And they were from across the political spectrum.
Imagine what we could have saved by keeping our nose out of it. Blood and wonga. The Afghans would probably now have something akin to normality, and the power of the the religious nutcases would have been steadily be eroded without our supplies of weapons and training. Someone else would be doing the dirty work and we wouldnt be responsible for 20k refugees and guarding the Alamo.

cam net

Old-Salt
A lot of bods thought that supporting AQ against the Russians was supporting the barbarians against Rome at the time. And they were from across the political spectrum.
Imagine what we could have saved by keeping our nose out of it. Blood and wonga. The Afghans would probably now have something akin to normality, and the power of the the religious nutcases would have been steadily be eroded without our supplies of weapons and training. Someone else would be doing the dirty work and we wouldnt be responsible for 20k refugees and guarding the Alamo.
I guess that's what happens when we blindly follow the US into a pointless war.............. again ?

Poppycock

War Hero
I guess that's what happens when we blindly follow the US into a pointless war.............. again ?
I'm beginning to wonder who followed who where...

This report from Fox News in 2004 identifies a director of a multi-billion dollar global conglomerate as having given his power of attorney to a known terrorist financier in 1982 - just as a lot of money began flowing into Afghanistan.

When asked in 2004 why a known terrorist financier (linked to al Qaeda by this time) had his power of attorney for 20years (till about 2002) he replied "I forgot."

Now the interesting bit is that multi-billion dollar global conglomerate is intimately tied to the British Empire in... Aden. And Taiz. And from 1977 in London, when the conglomerate opened their office there

Would 2years (1977-79) be long enough for some spooks and a new East India Company-esque vehicle to get some crazies from Aden and Taiz over to Afghanistan to prompt the Russians to invade... ?

Answer: We'll know much better if / when the British government stops suppressing those incriminating documents.

"British Government Supports al Qaeda"​

Could be worse I suppose! They could be Leicester City supporters.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter....

SteveLancs

Old-Salt
Another smidgin of truth ignored at ARRSE which has such a fantastic amount of inside information and knowledge any observer might conclude that you are monitored and censored by HMG, which in turn is run by Boris and a bunch of fools.
Who's lives are more important?
The politicians you bow to, or your comrades?

Latest Threads