British general’s wife pays Indian debt

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Rayc, Nov 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rayc

Rayc RIP

British officers and their wives still come to the Regimental Reunions of the Indian Army and it is a great pleasure having them at the Reunions.

This is not only applicable for Gorkha units, but also the Regiments the British officers served in before the Independence.

The association will continue and hopefully their children would also continue the same association.
  2. Good post Ray.

My family have a long tradition of service in India, not as anything glorious but just as ordinary squaddies. My paternal Grand-dad still cheers for India in the Olympics (much to the dismay of my Dad who is not one for sentimentality at the best of times!). It would be an absolute tradegy if the mutual respect felt between Indian and British soldiers was to die in the light of modern political spin. Those of us lucky enough to be brought up on stories of India respect you greatly and we hope that you still feel the same way about us.
  3. Rayc

Rayc RIP

Oh sure, we have great regards for the British and the traditions they left behind for us. Inspite of changed circumstances, we still maintain the traditions.

In fact, I am writing an article on the falling standards and why it is so. One of the reasons of all these problems that we are facing is because of the hectic life being led wherein every two years, you are up in the frontline bunkers or fighting terrorists. This type of deployment does not allow good cohesiveness that is required to build regimental spirit. Without regimental spirit, one takes the Army as a career and not a calling and I feel that is what is making the difference.

Further, many marry before 25 and miss out on the Officers Mess bonding.

I sure would like to hear as to what is it like in the British Army and what is done to build camaraderie of the type that binds your units.

Another problem is that people in Armies the world over and more so in the Indian Army, want to ape the US Army, its tactics and its lexicon. While the US Army is good, it lacks that "something" (I am being PC).
  4. I'll leave others to answer the deeper questions and confine myself to saying that a small flicker of the old Indian army still lives with us in Britain today - the mess curry nights, the slang (like 'dhobi' for washing), the Regimental days when we remember people and places far from us like Seringapatam and Mudki and the banners and standards of old adversaries that we honour in our churches even more than our own. I have absolutely no doubt that one day soon India will rise to be a global power whilst Britain continues to steadily decline. But no matter who happens to be on top at any particular moment, I would hope that the British soldier and the Indian soldier share an emotional bond that no amount of political skull-duggery can ever extinguish.
  5. The record speaks for itself. During WWI, the Indian Army suffered 145,000 casualties including 74,000 killed. During WWII, the Indian Army suffered 100,000 casualties including 36,000 killed. The shared heritage, sacrifices and mutual respect of our respective Armed Forces should never be forgotten.