British Gas in 10% gas price cut

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Jan 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7843999.stm

Big ******* deal. You raised them by 35% initially. How about reducing them by 25%?

2. Im with EON, they are shit. £1400 last year for a 2 bed flat does not sound right to me. I can only have ONE tariff and cant move till the bil is paid. If anyone can afford it get yourself some solar panels.

3. Gas prices went up immediately after they were announced, but come down nearly 28 days after the reduction is announced. Bit like fuel prices!

4. At least you've got gas. Mine got cut off for 2 weeks by the Russians!!!!

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Did you hear the British Gas CEO on Radio 4? "Well the good news is that this cut means in real terms that the average bill will be reduced by £100 a year"

Tosser. Then went into mealy mouthed "two year average" for pricing and its not our fault chat. Kind of surprises me that the average can go up by 35 % and then down by 10% all in the space of 6mths if they use that pricing model. Drown then with statistics seemed to be his discussion technique.

6. Petrol goes up tomorrow by 10% at the pumps where I am. All to do with the dinar sliding against the $ and the Euro.

7. See Scott Adams and Confusopolies:

Encyclopedia > Confusopoly

Scott Adams introduced the word confusopoly in his book The Dilbert Future. The word is a combination of confusion and monopoly (or rather oligopoly) and Adams defines it as "a group of companies with similar products who intentionally confuse customers instead of competing on price".

Examples of industries in which confusopolies exist (according to Adams) include telephone service, insurance, mortgage loans, banking, and financial services.

The aim is to make things so complicated customers can't tell whether they are getting a good deal or not - seems to sum up the power companies in the UK.

Rodney2q

8. i have just switched to EDF from British Gas, going by my BG bills USwitch estimated id save £800 a year.

9. in_the_cheapseats

Rodney,

Thanks. A good word to remember.

ITC

10. Just watched Phil Bentley in action on BBC24. Confusology was in full effect.

What exactly are the benefits Mr. Bentley? From what I can see, fixed price tariff customers will be subsidising this 'discount'

It's all about maintaining profit levels while appearing to actually do something isnt it Mr. Bentley? Why not just call yourselves Centrica Bank?

11. I believe that gas prices will go lower and lower. Now Ukraine significantly bounded internal consumption that is about 75% of UK level. So Gazprom has additional opportunity to pump more gas to the EU countries. It looks like Gazprom affiliated firms could propose very attractive prices on British market.

12. in_the_cheapseats

There is a matter of trust, Sergey. With you switching the supply on and off and UK's minimal storage facilities, I suspect the UK will be going to a more trustworthy supplier for as much of its supply as it can get.

Norway springs to mind.....

No-one likes being held hostage and Russia has pulled this trick twice now. This last little fiasco proves that you are willing to do it again and bugger the consequences. That to me is in unacceptable behaviour by a nation state. I think you should remain a supplier of last resort, even if you is prepared to drop its prices in desperation, at the very least until we have the ability to hold adequate stock. That, for the UK, is years away.

13. Of course, if you would not pay on time agreed price then gas taps would be closed. But if Russia would stop to pump gas then it would not get money. Fair play.

As for Norway then it hasn't enough gas for whole Europe. Now many European countries would prefer to contract as much Norwegian gas as possible. So I fear the UK would not get additional gas from Norway.

Moreover, Norway could change the formula for gas price. It could add 'ecological' component - something like 10-20% (gas is more ecologically friendly than oil). Likely Russia would follow this example.

14. in_the_cheapseats

To your points.

No other nation other than Ukraine was behind in payment but everyone suffered? Russia cares about its customers then? I think not. The brute stick approach is /was an ignorant one.

I agree that Norway doesn't have supply enough for all but I coached my words carefully. We will get as much as we possibly can before coming to you and we are a lot closer to Norway than you for export purposes.

As to your ecological comment - so what? As you say, if one does it all will therefore it is a null point

15. I'm with EON as well and I'm in full agreement. They've just informed me that my Direct Debit is going up by 50% to £48 p/m for a new build one bed apartment that I'm only ever in at weekends-how the fcuk can my bill be that much?