British Gas electricity and gas prices

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jagman, Jul 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just announced on Sky News
    British Gas are increasing electricity by 9% and gas by a whopping 35%
    Effective immediately.
    Inflation at 4% huh? How much more of this can the country stand?

2. Why is Electricity going up by 9%? Do we have exclusively Oil and Gas fired Power stations?

This is sheer profiteering. The price of oil per barrel is heading South, not going up again.

The regulator in their latest report found "no evidence of collusion" between the Energy suppliers.

I suggest you're not ******* looking hard enough then.

3. The only way to get the prices down is not to use it.... I will be lighting my old coal fire this winter instead....

4. I'm glad I went for fixed price until Dec 09 earlier this week...........

5. Just had a new range cooker delivered today too, at this rate it'll be more expensive to use than driving the bloody car.
    How many pensioners are going to freeze to death this winter then?

6. The only happy interpretation I can draw on this bloody freebooting is global warming is causing drops in consumption winter on winter, and these greedy b*stards are trying to maintain their profit margins.

Good luck with that , I look forward to Mediterranean type winters.

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Since 2003, electricity and gas has gone up by approximately 100%. So that's an average of 20% increase per year for the last 5.

Fuel has gone up by 60%. An average of approximately 12% per annum for the last 5 years.

Food prices have increased by increased by an average of 12% over the last twelve months.

The cost of borrowing has gone up by 6% over the last year.

So, the gobment is saying that inflation is predicted to be 2.1% in 2008.

Now, my maths is terrible, but I'm getting the impression that someone is lying.

Add to that the fact that our gold reserves where flogged off at knock-down prices.

The gobment is on target to borrow over 40% of gross domestic product this year.

The country is heading rapidly into recession, whilst all the other EU countries are riding it OK because of their financial RESERVES.

The US economy is doing much better than the UK, even though the UK slowdown is being blamed on the US and a global slowdown.

Yes, the oil-linked gas prices is a disgrace and a scandal, but the EU is doing nothing about it, the gobment hasn't the balls to do anything about it, but they still choose to lie to us.

Makes yer sick dunnit?

8. I have oil central heating and water as there is no gas in the village. I bought a tank of oil in February for £324. I have just had to buy another one - for £631! Now, in winter that will last about 4 months ish. I can afford this but what about a pensioner? Where are they going to find that kind of money?

9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

The gas and electricity markets were rigged when they were created under privatisation. One of the Ministers concerned then went on to warm a seat on the board of the privatised British Gas. No conflict of interest there, then.

Here's an example of the rigging:

If you buy electricity on a 'green' tariff, i.e. produced by wind or water only, the price is still linked to the price of oil. Why?

So that the companies who generate using oil or coal don't have to lose out to cheaper suppliers.

Another one:
    Every electricity bill in this country has paid a 5% loading towards the cost of decomissioning old nuclear power stations, ever since they started generating. Yet the taxpayer will have to pay the cost of decomissioning, now that those power stations have been sold to the French.

Who did the rigging?

The Tories, who privatised everything in sight, 'selling off the family silver' to quote Harold MacMillan.

Ok Labour have had ten years to unrig it, but there were enough poisoned pills to make that very hard.

10. I think (Daede, could maybe confirm this?) that the main reason for massive domestic gas bill hikes is that we no longer are self sufficient and therefore more exposed to world commodity prices than before.

It's also a neat trick for the energy companies to encourage us to reduce consumtion in the name of the environment and then hike prices...same (or more profit) for less exposure on their part.

The strategic distaster of how we have and will manage N Sea oil and gas is a national disgrace.

11. Good points.

I suggest Coal is now profitable to mine again. We have vast reserves of the stuff , and this latest series of price hikes is taking the p1ss.

Grownup explains quite succinctly, how this all came to pass. Makes me wonder about the real reasons behind the destruction of the Coal industry too.

12. Simple. Break the unions and restore power to Westminster not shop stewards.

13. Oh I suspect there was a little more to it than that.

14. look at moneysupermarket.com - I have just found cheapest supplier in my area and am switching gas and electric from British Gas immediately

15. It would be too expensive to re-nationalise power suppliers and may not produce better results. One of the biggest problems is the small number of suppliers now and that they are mostly ownered by our European brothers who really do care about us.
    If a Cartel is not in operation it is because it's not necessary with only six main suppliers.
    Can anyone imagine France allowing its energy suppliers to be owned by foreigners, EU rules or not?