British forces employ machines to 'listen' for enemy fire

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by moving-target-survivor, Aug 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It has. Sound ranging for locating German artillery, circa 1916, surprisingly technical and advanced for WW1.

2. And "Claribel" in NI c.1979 IIRC?

3. I recall Mamba with the arty - sound locating mortar fire

Bag oh shite iirc... but besides a septic metal mickey yelling 'incoming' this looks pretty good to me

4. we had a couple of our mastiffs with those fitted on H13 however none of them worked, had another acoustic device of kind, albeit much bigger planted on one of our sangars but was promptly taken down a few days later as apparently it didn't work either.

5. Somewhere along the White Cliffs of Dover there are two parabolic shapes cut into ghe chalk which were used during the war to detect incoming enemy aircraft. Or, possibly, to fool the Germans into thinking that was how we got early warning of their visits, rather than by RADAR.

6. No the Numpty Gunner Broke it. It worked fine but cost too much to repair...

7. BOOMERANG,SAFPULLS (unsure of spelling) and also some hidious thing for on your rifle were all being used on H13.
    With mixed results of what i seen.

8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

CLARIBEL, as used extensively in Ulster, was crap. It was meant to assist sangar sentries to spot incoming. Given that most spend their time wanking, daydreaming, dozing, or writing letters home, it was doomed from the start. The air pistols issued to calibrate it were fun though.

9. Nah, mamba was a radar. ASP is the one you're thinking of ;)