• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

British Forces at War: As Witnessed by an American

Chief_Joseph said:
http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/british-forces-at-war-as-witnessed-by-an-american.htm

Awsome report by Michael Yon on British forces in Basra. Ignore that cnut Ralph Peters, this is real war reporting
See also the 28 [so far] posts on the Int forum...

Plunderer

Sorry

"Just last week a formidable Challenger tank was destroyed by an explosion that also cost the driver his legs."

Is this true - did we lose a Chally 2?

I've only just came across this blokes work from reading this thread, are we sure he's a Yank? He sounds almost British with his common sense!
:D

Good work fella
:thumleft:

Rumrunner said:
yank_eyetie said:
One of his contributors gives ARRSE a good plug:
http://www.michaelyon-online.com/flf/article.php?ID=37
A great post and a tribute to ARRSE.
It was edited from it's original form however (references to the NAAFI bar's content were deemed a bit much :wink: )

Also, an editor mistakenly believed that when I was talking about Goatman, I was talking about a Moderator. As a result, he was listed as one in the article.

Rumrunner said:
yank_eyetie said:
One of his contributors gives ARRSE a good plug:
http://www.michaelyon-online.com/flf/article.php?ID=37
A great post and a tribute to ARRSE.
Just read that and nearly had a tear in my eye :)

Nice to see a Spam that gets us, although I bet he drives a Ram and his favourite expression is "super size me" :)

I know lots of Spams and on the whole, they are good blokes, it's just when the "whole" becomes the US of A that they go wrong ;)

Except Corporal and Ctauch, obviously, who are a pair of full time cnuts

Aunty Stella said:
Nice to see a Spam that gets us, although I bet he drives a Ram and his favourite expression is "super size me" :)
I'm actually underweight for my height, and ride a bike :wink:

Interesting article that by Michael Yon. I wonder if anyone reflects on the observations about heli cover or total lack of. US commanders would not countenance this type of operation without a level of air support unknown to Brit commanders. A sad indictment to be without that as an option if one wanted it. I'm sure a Brit stff uper lip is more than compensation.......

An excellent and positive report. Up the PBI!
What was also refreshing was to see the number of Americans posting supportive comments about our role on the journalists Blog site.
Any chances of our esteemed media running with this one?
Watch out for that flying pig.

Temujin said:
Interesting article that by Michael Yon. I wonder if anyone reflects on the observations about heli cover or total lack of. US commanders would not countenance this type of operation without a level of air support unknown to Brit commanders. A sad indictment to be without that as an option if one wanted it. I'm sure a Brit stff uper lip is more than compensation.......
Yes. I'm sure versions of the following have been done before, but I was inspired to create the following!

Ski.

Attachments

As a veteran who has fond memories of the very capable UK personnel I worked with in the past, it certainly made me happy to see our mainstream news picked up Yon's article. Hopefully it will offset the skewed image eminating from the journalistic claptrap concerning the trials and tribulations of the fifteen former "guests" of Ahmanutjob.

Far as the lack of rotary winged support, I have to say this revelation surprised me a bit as your army certainly has the airframes for the job in it's inventory and the doctrine concerning their employment was in place more than a decade or so ago so what changed?