British drinking culture

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Ho2331, Jan 12, 2018.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ladies/Gents.
    I've read some interesting posts in the 'NHS CRISIS' thread. And the one thing that keeps on being mentioned is the alcohol related A&E admissions, and the drain that this has on resources.
    So why do we Brits have such a 'problem' with alcohol when compared with the drinking culture of the other European countries. I am aware that until 10-15 years ago, we had quite draconian drinking laws in this country, and that pubs had to close at 11pm. Which was a law from WW1.
    However; since the relaxation of the drinking laws, and all of these years later, we haven't changed much IMHO.
    So is it now too late, and it's just permanently ingrained in to the british psyché to go out and get totally pisséd?

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 8
  2. Pah! Lightweights! Guess where you can see people chugging back vodka for breakfast at 8am every morning? You want problem drinking? Go East young man.....

• Like Like x 3
  3. Yes I think it is sadly - there’s a huge swathe of our populations that don’t do “moderation “

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. We in western europe are supposed to be sophisticated though. We are not slavic barbarians.:)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. But why? We are supposed to be intelligent human beings. And one of the most advanced nations on earth.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. I’d argue that a visit to most town centres at midnight on most days of the week would disavow you of these thoughts

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mate, I'm well aware of the consequences of alcohol. Most of the cons on my wing (who are in for assault offences), committed their crime whilst pisséd.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. As to why it’s ‘culture’? I don’t know, but I think we’ve had it for hundreds of years.....

• Like Like x 2
  10. Perhaps you should have chosen a better path and not ended up in there.

• Funny Funny x 20
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The problem with the NHS "statistics" we get is that they come from news papers.

This country is no worst than most other places, they are just not reported. I understand the flights into Saudi are quite fun for alcohol excess.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Kwai Chang Caine Walt

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Is it an age/generational thing.?

I can’t say (having been known as Mr Extenuating circumstances) I ever got into windmilling into crowds and starting scraps in crowded bars.
    But that sort of behaviour, would have been the exception as opposed to the rule. These days it seems to be reasonably normal and I’m seeing bouncers on places which never used to have them. Like the week before Christmas and up to the new year.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Not the one I took in 1990 it wasn't ☹️

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. I wasn't loved as a child. Plus I grew up in a really deprived council estate. Not forgetting of course that the police had it in for me.

• Funny Funny x 3