British DPM Smock/Jacket query

Kitchener

Swinger
ISTR that the soundtrack was along the lines of cries of 'Unluckyyy' from the DS (who hadn't spotted or had forgotten about the camera) to the bloke who'd just failed.
It was his second time attending P company and I believe they do say ‘that is Unlucky’, then went on to mention Pervert somewhere in the sentence.

Possibly an arctic smock.
Most likely one of those. 3[?] Para were AMF(L) assigned in the mid 1980s, and windproofs blagged then might have survived into the '90s. and there were 2 x Para Bns in the FI war a few years before that.

And there has always been the emporia of Messrs Du Bora and Silverman (since before Raquel Welch got togged up in a dinosaur-fur bikini, 10 Million Years BC)

Totally agree, thats when they became part of the Army - so very un Para. At least they kept all their big wings, I loved the French ones.
But . . . . but . . . don't the modern Paras have an MTP Denison smock . . . . . complete with (totally redundant fishtail) . . . . for in-barracks wear only?

As far as Alleyness is concerned, the big mistake was moving from Dennison to DPM.

I agree. Why should the Para’s look as ally as the rest of the army in DPM? They wanted Dennison smocks. They should have been made to stick with them! :)

I remember mine had the wired hood, can't say I remember a peak, also rank tabs front and back.

It was a long time ago though.
The rear one came off very quickly after the 999 th time the button got tangled in a cam net.

About an hour into the exercise if I recall.

I agree. Why should the Para’s look as ally as the rest of the army in DPM? They wanted Dennison smocks. They should have been made to stick with them! :)
They would have been more than happy to stick with them but apparently they weren't infra red proof. Not that any squaddies DPM combats were infra red proof as most were washed out whitish and I never heard of QM's getting them reproofed.

They would have been more than happy to stick with them but apparently they weren't infra red proof. Not that any squaddies DPM combats were infra red proof as most were washed out whitish and I never heard of QM's getting them reproofed.

No they were never reproofed for infra red once they had been issued and god help you if you turned up on parade in a filthy combat jacket so they had to be washed.

As far as I’m concerned, Paras can wear what they like. We certainly did on operations in the cud’s in NI.

DPM jackets, Para smocks, SAS smocks and a variety of different stuff was worn. One guy used to run around South Armagh in a pair of cherry red Dr Martens.

Sometimes, the only thing that identified us as British soldiers was the helicopter we had just jumped out of or the fact that we were all carrying SLR’s and of course, one of us had a GPMG!

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
Finished watching that documentary - it was quite informative. Fifteen survivors? Seems quite high.

Oyibo

LE
Good Afternoon all

Could anyone tell me what year and type of DPM this is if that’s possible? It’s from a P Company documentary filmed in 1992 if that helps but I am unsure myself. I have tried looking online for some comparison but I haven’t been able to tell.

Thank you in advance

View attachment 588319View attachment 588320

Never mind the smocks. The horror of the cookhouse in the background sends shivers up my spine.

Browning Barracks. Not a place I look back upon with great fondness.

Oyibo

LE
I thought the scoff there was quite good. Providing you didn't leave it spewed all over the training ground.

As recruits we had eff all time to assess its quality. It was a case of get in there scoff as quickly as possible, and get back to the block for the next beasting.

P Coy was the only period where there was a bit of peace between events.

As recruits we had eff all time to assess its quality. It was a case of get in there scoff as quickly as possible, and get back to the block for the next beasting.

P Coy was the only period where there was a bit of peace between events.
Don’t forget the bliss of the parachute course.

Oyibo

LE
Don’t forget the bliss of the parachute course.

A fvcking salad bar! And the crab chefs didn't limit the food on the hotplates. Bliss.

Still got beasted a few times by the depot staff who thought we were being treated too kindly.

Oyibo

LE
All we got was the odd drill afternoon.

Tabs around Brize for us! Not many though, and better than being in Depot.

One guy, and ex Maureen jacked while we were at Brize. The Depot staff took objection to him wearing hair gel in The Spotlight Club.

One of the great laughs i had at Brize was taking a baby para's ground training session on my APJI course. We would continually come up with more and more bizarre warm up routines as they would do absolutely anything you told them to.

Tabs around Brize for us! Not many though, and better than being in Depot.

One guy, and ex Maureen jacked while we were at Brize. The Depot staff took objection to him wearing hair gel in The Spotlight Club.
Abingdon for me. Pure joy. Oxford and its many students just up the road.

Latest Threads