British Diplomat Murdered in Lebanon

If it’s the first part of my post, regarding naughty ‘Islamists’.

The trend to mass casualty events, or certainly multiple victims.
The need for recognition, i.e. publicity (look at September 11 - the towers could have considerably more occupied if it had happened later, but it hit (no pun intended) the American news cycle.

Method, as mentioned. On Westminster Bridge, for example, the attacker wouldn’t have worked his way through pedestrians strangling them - wouldn’t have gone much further than victim #1 (not that I’ve ever strangled anyone, but a chicken during Combat Survival had its day cut short).

From what I gather from a reliable intelligence source (headline in the Manchester Metro) it does seem like a failed sexual assualt which had got out of hand (not a good phrase to use), or a sexual assault where the perpetrator realises they don’t want a witness.

Of the top of my head, I think, (in the UK) 90% of murders are committed by someone the victim knows.

That’s why I don’t have any friends (that could be taken one of two ways).
You missed my point. I was curious as to why you think Paris is a particularly unpleasant posting. Don't answer it's because of the dogshit on the pavement.

There is nothing in either her position at the embassy, or the article linked, to suggest that she held Diplomatic status. Could the thread-title be changed? Sympathy to the family and friends indeed, but not an international incident.
There’s no reason why she shouldn’t have been travelling on a Diplomat passport. My cousin travels on one, and he works on inspecting pharmaceutical production, for some bizarre agency.

Even if not a Diplomatic Passport, she will have (had) a visa reflecting her status as part of the Mission.

The Ambo does need to be recognised formally by the host nation (not sure about DHM). Staff, either the passport or visa, it’s just a travel document. Very good for going through passport control, although one should only use it traveling on official business. And everyone observes that rule. Honest.

Mr_Pink

War Hero
Perhaps we could keep in mind that a thirty year old has been murdered, and her family are quite likely to follow google links to her name to see how it’s covered.
^This. Inb4 'squaddie humour', 'dry your eyes', and so on, and so on.

In this instance, there's just no reason to be cnuts.

You missed my point. I was curious as to why you think Paris is a particularly unpleasant posting. Don't answer it's because of the dogshit on the pavement.
Sorry. I’m Senior, so I miss the point quite often.

What makes Paris a bad posting, well primeraly Parisians. Don’t get me wrong, no.2 is French, but from Nice. If I wanted to be ignored, looked down on, sworn at, eat bad overpriced food, and be stuck in a traffic system designed by ants, I’d go straight to Birmingham.

Sadly, I'm I'll educated, not remotely posh, male, and averse to being murderbummed by dusky taxi drivers.
Did Beirut old Bill " round up the usual suspects", or is the arrested chap really guilty?
[]

Beating the soles of the feet will resolve the matter, so I understand - time honored tradition?

Last edited:

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
I'll have a go at that:

Because the French are incredibly rude and arrogant.
Paris stinks like a 3rd world city.
It's as dirty as a 3rd world city.
It's population walks, acts and looks like they're in a 3rd world city.
Ditto for Marseilles, Toulon, Toulouse, Nice, Lyon and lille.
For a city that claims to be one of the beauties of the world thy have a strangely lackadaisical attitude to grafitti and vandalisers of their national monuments.
The food is vastly overrated.
The women are vastly overrated.
Paris is not far enough away from London, which is also unpleasant, but in different ways.

That's it for the moment. It's late and it's been a long day. I'm sure I can come up with some more tomorrow.

Breaking new this evening :

UK embassy worker found dead in Lebanon

So I guess we can discuss without fear of the mods as there will be no criminal trial in UK over this sad event.
Who did it, Alan's Snackbar crew, robbery or a 'domestic'. I think if it were the first option the killing would be drawn out, horrific and tape posted to Al Jazeera or the like? More close protection for UK diplomats in warm sandy climates, RMP, 'Them' or Royal?
RMP. The lads I worked with were in and out of Beirut like yoyo's - as FCO staff.

Doesn’t fit with the MO of naughty “Islamist” people, as you say no publicly. From a Policing perspective, strangulation is normally carried out by someone known to the victim, and as a crime of passion, not inferring rape, but rather an argument that gets out of hand.
Concur, strangulation is personal, normally done by a person known to the deceased.

Like shooting someone in the balls, or arse, as a secondary shot, is enacted upon someone who they feel has severly pissed them off.

Allocation of a UK CP team is rare as a rare thing, as under Geneva Accords it is the responsibility of the host nation to provide.

In particularly unpleasant places, Bhagdad, Kabul, Paris etc. you would live on a compound, and have a full CP team to move from A to B for meetings.

In less pleasant places, but still bordering unpleasant, it’s unlikely that anyone other than the Ambo would have personal CP. if you look at London appointed Staff from FCO, Other Agencies, DFiD, British Council, there’s no way you could assign CP to them.
RMP did the Ambo in Beirut in the 80's/90's. There used to be some straying of duties to 'going for a walk with', or 'out on the town with' other embassy staff as a favour.*

For ex Services, and Spooks, it’s the nature to have situational awareness.

Unfortunately for a lot of ‘diplomats’ having a two day HEAT course, where moustached men shout quietly at them, and may hear a blank round, makes them think they’re SF.
We had them in BAOR for a couple of days to subject them to drills, bombs and bullets. You could see the warry'ness of senior officers increasing by the minute as they were given a HK to fire.

* Back then the US had a huge team on the ground for their Ambo (all Warrant Officers), the Italians, Russians, Germans, French and a couple of others were also in place.

Doesn’t fit with the MO of naughty “Islamist” people, as you say no publicly. From a Policing perspective, strangulation is normally carried out by someone known to the victim, and as a crime of passion, not inferring rape, but rather an argument that gets out of hand.

Allocation of a UK CP team is rare as a rare thing, as under Geneva Accords it is the responsibility of the host nation to provide.

In particularly unpleasant places, Bhagdad, Kabul, Paris etc. you would live on a compound, and have a full CP team to move from A to B for meetings.

In less pleasant places, but still bordering unpleasant, it’s unlikely that anyone other than the Ambo would have personal CP. if you look at London appointed Staff from FCO, Other Agencies, DFiD, British Council, there’s no way you could assign CP to them.

Unfortunately for a lot of ‘diplomats’ having a two day HEAT course, where moustached men shout quietly at them, and may hear a blank round, makes them think they’re SF.
If every FCO and related agencies bodies all got CP the net impact would be the highly intelligent but highly naive graduate ladies boning their protection.

My money would be on a Lebbo boyfriend and a breakup gone tragically Middle East but I see the local Plod have found a convenient perp in the shape of an Uber driver with a prison record.

D

Deleted 60082

Absolutely the case; CP for HMA and everyone else relies on Receiving State protection under the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations 1961. The issue of protection at Post is a major issue managed by ESD within the FCO. A year ago today the Russian Ambassador was assassinated by one of his police CP team - about 100 yards from the US Embassy in Ankara. The immediate reaction of the locals was to give key ambassadors additional police protection. As pointed out to us by the then British Ambassador "that's another 8 people who could kill me."

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted 60082

If every FCO and related agencies bodies all got CP the net impact would be the highly intelligent but highly naive graduate ladies boning their protection.
In my last post that is exactly how the Int Cpls spent their long summer and winter evenings - entertaining the clever and slightly sex-starved Second and Third Secretaries.

With the words Beirut' and 'Uber', this was never going to end well!

I'll have a go at that:

Because the French are incredibly rude and arrogant.
Paris stinks like a 3rd world city.
It's as dirty as a 3rd world city.
It's population walks, acts and looks like they're in a 3rd world city.
Ditto for Marseilles, Toulon, Toulouse, Nice, Lyon and lille.
For a city that claims to be one of the beauties of the world thy have a strangely lackadaisical attitude to grafitti and vandalisers of their national monuments.
The food is vastly overrated.
The women are vastly overrated.
Paris is not far enough away from London, which is also unpleasant, but in different ways.

That's it for the moment. It's late and it's been a long day. I'm sure I can come up with some more tomorrow.
And don't forget that in the more far flung parts of the country, the locals refer with despision to the 'French' by which they mean Parisians.

chimera

LE

Latest Threads