British Diplomat Murdered in Lebanon

Breaking new this evening :

UK embassy worker found dead in Lebanon

So I guess we can discuss without fear of the mods as there will be no criminal trial in UK over this sad event.
Who did it, Alan's Snackbar crew, robbery or a 'domestic'. I think if it were the first option the killing would be drawn out, horrific and tape posted to Al Jazeera or the like? More close protection for UK diplomats in warm sandy climates, RMP, 'Them' or Royal?

Doesn’t fit with the MO of naughty “Islamist” people, as you say no publicly. From a Policing perspective, strangulation is normally carried out by someone known to the victim, and as a crime of passion, not inferring rape, but rather an argument that gets out of hand.

Allocation of a UK CP team is rare as a rare thing, as under Geneva Accords it is the responsibility of the host nation to provide.

In particularly unpleasant places, Bhagdad, Kabul, Paris etc. you would live on a compound, and have a full CP team to move from A to B for meetings.

In less pleasant places, but still bordering unpleasant, it’s unlikely that anyone other than the Ambo would have personal CP. if you look at London appointed Staff from FCO, Other Agencies, DFiD, British Council, there’s no way you could assign CP to them.

For ex Services, and Spooks, it’s the nature to have situational awareness.

Unfortunately for a lot of ‘diplomats’ having a two day HEAT course, where moustached men shout quietly at them, and may hear a blank round, makes them think they’re SF.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Hmm.... Been there since January. Long enough to get involved in a tangled web of passion with someone. Found by the side of motorway? Either a drive by dump or strangled in the car as a heated argument about betrayal got out of hand.

Doesn't sound like anything other than the above to be honest. Just a domestic that in that part of the world, tend to typically be quite violent.

spaz

LE
Murderbummed by an Arab.

Probably Allah's will because she was out without a chaperone.

Allah can be a bit of a dick sometimes.

There is nothing in either her position at the embassy, or the article linked, to suggest that she held Diplomatic status. Could the thread-title be changed? Sympathy to the family and friends indeed, but not an international incident.

Doesn’t fit with the MO of naughty “Islamist” people, as you say no publicly. From a Policing perspective, strangulation is normally carried out by someone known to the victim, and as a crime of passion, not inferring rape, but rather an argument that gets out of hand.

Allocation of a UK CP team is rare as a rare thing, as under Geneva Accords it is the responsibility of the host nation to provide.

In particularly unpleasant places, Bhagdad, Kabul, Paris etc. you would live on a compound, and have a full CP team to move from A to B for meetings.

In less pleasant places, but still bordering unpleasant, it’s unlikely that anyone other than the Ambo would have personal CP. if you look at London appointed Staff from FCO, Other Agencies, DFiD, British Council, there’s no way you could assign CP to them.

For ex Services, and Spooks, it’s the nature to have situational awareness.

Unfortunately for a lot of ‘diplomats’ having a two day HEAT course, where moustached men shout quietly at them, and may hear a blank round, makes them think they’re SF.
@jinnandtonic what makes you think that?

Last edited:
It's those pesky Taxi Drivers again (allegedly)

She had been strangled, the BBC was told by police sources, who said the suspect worked as a taxi driver.

More close protection for UK diplomats in warm sandy climates, RMP, 'Them' or Royal?
That'll never happen. Firstly, there is the small matter of jurisdiction beyond the embassy walls. Secondly, there are more people with diplomatic status at an embassy or consulate than there are flunkies and hangers-on in the Royal Household. It doesn't just stop with the guy who organises the Ferrerro Rocher.

Not a diplomat. The antithesis of a diplomate in fact, knowing most DFID workers. Idealists, fantasists and where all hipsters go to get a decent job.

Jinnandtonic is on the right path.

So, just educated totty then?
Yes. They are often essence, but think anyone who is not a humanitarian worker are baby-killiers. Usually being ploughed by ironic beard wearering sociologists, until their knees buckle at the sight of SF/spook.

Sound like slightly pickier versions of the catastrophe tourists one finds infesting parts dodgy.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Does anybody know what a " policy manager" does?
And why we need one?
It's just a matter of policy that's all. There is a vacancy now if you fancy it.

@jinnandtonic what makes you think that?
If it’s the first part of my post, regarding naughty ‘Islamists’.

The trend to mass casualty events, or certainly multiple victims.
The need for recognition, i.e. publicity (look at September 11 - the towers could have considerably more occupied if it had happened later, but it hit (no pun intended) the American news cycle.

Method, as mentioned. On Westminster Bridge, for example, the attacker wouldn’t have worked his way through pedestrians strangling them - wouldn’t have gone much further than victim #1 (not that I’ve ever strangled anyone, but a chicken during Combat Survival had its day cut short).

From what I gather from a reliable intelligence source (headline in the Manchester Metro) it does seem like a failed sexual assualt which had got out of hand (not a good phrase to use), or a sexual assault where the perpetrator realises they don’t want a witness.

Of the top of my head, I think, (in the UK) 90% of murders are committed by someone the victim knows.

That’s why I don’t have any friends (that could be taken one of two ways).

Latest Threads