"British democracy in terminal decline"

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Pyianno, Jul 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The moment you took cameras out of there they would vote theirselves a payrise.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Personally I think the cameras and microphones are an absolute necessity.

God knows what corruption the ******* would get up to if they weren't being filmed or recorded....

• Like Like x 6
  3. The courts have done perfectly well without them.

There would still be a public gallery and Hansard would still be published daily.

I think cameras and microphones have had a bad influence and have reduced the whole thing to a farce.

The last genuinely good Parliamentary debate I saw was when Blair tried to pass indefinite detention without trial and began making policy announcements about the issue to the press whilst the debate was still taking place in the Commons. Michael Howard looked like he was going to plug him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. It's the good old Law of Unintended Consequences in action. The cameras were introduced because nobody really believed they did anything of any use. Instead of juldiing them into effectiveness through the immediacy of public supervision, all the cameras have chieved is to show up what an utterly contemptible bunch of schoolchildren they really are.

• Like Like x 6
  5. We're not a Democracy, we're a Bankocracy.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Watching the Parliamentry channel, most folk like to see the news live instead of wait and digest what is actually said or proposed.

7. Democracy is on the decline world wide.

The reasons are many and varied but a lot of it can be sheeted home to the fact that people have come to realise that you don't need to be a politician to be able to influence events and that politicians have been gradually removing themselves from having any real control. For example, look at the growth of QANGOs', statutory authorities, regulatory bodies, all of which have developed so that politicians can say that they were not responsible for whatever public disaster has occurred.

Once, politicians of whatever ilk, had some spine. They took the issue of parliamentary responsibility seriously. They took ministerial responsibility seriously and were prepared to walk if they transgressed. Not now. All I see nowdays are ministers saying that they were not responsible and usually blaming their public servants whose only job these days seems to be the prevention of any mud sticking to their respective minister.

A remedy? Lets reduce parliamentary salaries. The argument that you have to pay to get people of quality is obviously not working. You may then get someone who can afford to perform what is essentially a public service and who is motivated by that rather than some grim search for power without responsibility.

• Like Like x 3
  8. There's no difference between the parties once they are in office; as the public becomes discontented with its lot, the monied power-brokers and the influence-pedlars simply stop paying one party and buy up the other one, which then governs in their interests with a few PR stunts designed to produce the illusion of actually giving a shit.

Individual MPs get to ride their private hobby-horses - ban drink, hang em and flog 'em, anti-hunting, pro-forces, whatever, but only on the strict understanding that nothing will change that negatively effects the 'Meritocracy' of crooks, gluttons and swindlers who are really in charge.

• Like Like x 3
  9. I wouldn't pay them at all, let them be supported by whoever already own's them, or themseves if they have already made a pile. It would go a long way to exposing their motivations, genuine public service or otherwise.

10. To quote Sir Humphrey:

"This is a British democracy!"

11. Prolly have a big toga party in there!

12. Personally I would introduce a law that barred anyone from seeking election as a member of parliament who hadn't worked in some form of employment outside of politics for at least 10 years. This might reduce the number of professional politicos and increase the number of members with proper life skill and an understanding of real life.

• Like Like x 4
  13. CplFoodspoiler

CplFoodspoiler War Hero Book Reviewer

Politicians are like nappies (diapers to you septics reading this).

They both perform a service and both are full of shit.

14. My God, it would be just like Barclays in no time.