British Defense attaché impressed by drill

Shenyang Military District is one of their better funded ones and the Commander is usually picked for ability as well as the normal impressive political connections. No surprise that they put their A-Team on display.

The Japanese observer's comments were interesting:

Tsubaki said he... was looking forward to seeing more military exchanges between the two countries
Yeah, like the one over the Marco Polo Bridge, says he cynically.

Involving more than 10,000 troops, it was a live ammunition drill conducted by a motorized infantry division at the Taonan Training Base under the Shenyang Military Area Command of the PLA.
An exersise with that many troops. I hope they don't get to good to quickly or everybody is going to get a bit jumpy.

Involving more than 10,000 troops, it was a live ammunition drill conducted by a motorized infantry division at the Taonan Training Base under the Shenyang Military Area Command of the PLA.
F*ck picking up the brass for that one!

Followed the links with interest and viewed the picture of the Chinese "orders" and having spotted the "bullpup"weapons stacked in small wigwam like piles. My curiosity led to the links attached.........

http://www.sinodefence.com/army/small_arms/qbz95.asp
http://www.sinodefence.com/army/small_arms/qbu88.asp

Advantages

The QBZ-95 (Type 95) can be compared in it's reliability with the AK Assault Rifles. Assault Rifle features low recoil power and cold hammer forged barrel. These features provide high fire accuracy. Furthermore it executes three shot burst fire. Weapon's compact dimensions, light weight, additional pistol and carrying handles provide comfortable handling and usage including in a limited space areas. It has can be reloaded from the each hand. One more advantage is ability to fed it from the 75 round drum magazine.

(taken from http://www.enemyforces.com/firearms/qbz95.htm )

Fook me they've got some good kit........or so it seems, maybe most of the army is still using pointy sticks but it makes you think doesn't it?

PoGS

Attachments

GuybrushThreepwood said:
After reading that article and looking at the pictures, I think I've spotted a chink in their armour.
What, that their cam and concealment is a bit shit if they insist on wearing white gloves with their DPM?

:D

Oh how kind! My coat... :p

POGscribbler said:
Fook me they've got some good kit........or so it seems, maybe most of the army is still using pointy sticks but it makes you think doesn't it?
The PLA guys I see round Jiansu Province are all equipped with the Type 95. So far as I can tell it's just the Peoples Armed Police that have AKs. Mind you, Lanzhou Military District sent 3 Divs to the front in '85 and they've stayed one of the better equipped.

I would love to get my hands on one for a wee bit, but I don't really fancy being arrested for spying.

Now who was proposing (on another thread) that we invade Burma to help the monks and to hell with what the Chinese think!!

Even if we could find an infantry division, who thinks we could find enough ammo to do a live firing ex? 2x rnds a man perhaps - and don't fire them all at once, keep some in reserve for the re-org phase.

DozyBint said:
GuybrushThreepwood said:
After reading that article and looking at the pictures, I think I've spotted a chink in their armour.
What, that their cam and concealment is a bit s*** if they insist on wearing white gloves with their DPM?

:D

Oh how kind! My coat... :p
Dozy poppet...wah! Wah?

GBT - very good, almost worthy of that great punster MrSoft.

Just being polite that's all. You know how sensitive the Chinese are - they have a huge inferiority complex. If the Brit sniffed and said, "This is not an exercise, it's a dog and pony show" he'll never be invited back to spy again.

The Russians certainly weren't impressed with the Chinese in their (real) joint exercises. The tanks were slow, the planes were inaccurate and the trucks and missiles couldn't move over rough ground.

USMarineX said:
The Russians certainly weren't impressed with the Chinese in their (real) joint exercises. The tanks were slow, the planes were inaccurate and the trucks and missiles couldn't move over rough ground.
Exactly what the PLA also think about the Russians, they really are not happy bedfellows, many PLA officers believe that its the Russkies they will be fighting again well before any Western Nation. After all China has significant historic claims on all of the Land mass east of Omsk.

Could be, but I tend to believe that it is mostly about Taiwan still, and they would not kick off with the Russians before then. They know the West could interfere in a Russian conflict, but Russia would not act in a Taiwan conflict (which is really silly of the Russians, if and when the Taiwan cap comes off and the PLAN surges into blue waters).

China and Russia have already firmed their borders before the Russians agreed to sell arms to them.

USMarineX said:
Could be, but I tend to believe that it is mostly about Taiwan still, and they would not kick off with the Russians before then. They know the West could interfere in a Russian conflict, but Russia would not act in a Taiwan conflict (which is really silly of the Russians, if and when the Taiwan cap comes off and the PLAN surges into blue waters).

I have met some of the people in China who have gamed the Taiwan declares independence scenario. My favourite solution they offered is that China immediately takes control of all Taiwanese business interests on the mainland (over 25% of Taiwan’s economy) and put them in trust with say a Swiss bank as minder.

At the same time approx 50 million landless migrant workers from central China are moved to the coast, they are informed that they will be given land in Taiwan. They are handed $2000 or so each and put on barges, boats, small ships, freighters etc and dropped on Taiwan’s beaches. The Chinese say they can deliver over 600,000 unarmed migrants a day unto Taiwan’s beaches.

What is Taipei, and more importantly its US backer going to do about the largest peaceful mass squat in history? Shoot them in front of the worlds cameras?

Do you think that in this day and age, the landless migrants in China don't have a voice and representation?

Do you really think that the migrants are so stupid not to know that they are going to certain death and that Taiwan is suddenly depopulated with free land?

Can they handle 50 million people rioting in the first place? Do you think once the US lays a curtain of napalm across the sea, the boats would not mutiny and turn back?

Do you think that the ships would reach the beaches in the first place? What with the countless loitering weapons that are available now? Do you think that if the ships could reach the beach, then they might as well put soldiers in them? Do you think that the West would hold back not knowing and not having X-Ray eyes, whether the ships have civilians or soldiers?

Do you not think that taking control of foreign assets will cause a shock wave through foreign investors, markets and long term economic consequences? Can you neatly delineate, these are Taiwanese assets, these are American assets etc?

This laughable tactic is typical of Chinese thinkers - called the Shashoujian (yes, I know Chinese), or assassin's sword, a clever, out of the world tactic that decides the situation neatly and somehow deserving of praise (typical of a top down society).

Too much reading of that walt, Sun Tzi, I believe. And typical of people who think too much without any necessary experience, aka the Chinese.

(Case in point - the Indians recently banned medical degrees from a large number of Chinese universities because they found that in 6 years, the new doctors only did studying and no practical medicine).

I cannot believe you actually typed out that scenario on here. What is this, play time?

I believe you hang out with PLA people between the rank of recruit and private first class.

USMarineX said:
Too much reading of that walt, Sun Tzi, I believe. And typical of people who think too much without any necessary experience, aka the Chinese.
Probably my favorite American utterance this year, against it must be said some pretty stiff competition.

Well done you are a prime example.

Have you actually read Sun Tzi in Chinese, and analyzed it in Chinese? Have you read his contemporaries and other literature of the time, in Chinese?

You must be one of those who eagerly pick up and devour 'Sun Tzi and the Art of Health and Safety' and attempt to discuss it with your dismayed colleagues over yum cha.

Sun Tzi is one of history's biggest walts. European renaissance period is much fuller of applicable strategy.

Latest Threads