British defence planning and Britain's NATO commitment 1979 - 1985

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I went from BAOR to Marchwood where the uplift and shipping to Germany of the likes of bar mines was truly staggering. Shipload after shipload.
I think we’re still blowing up the barmines today. We were certainly shipping them to Afghanistan as demolition stores which gives you an idea of the stocks held.

Truxx

LE
5 Regt had as many trucks as 6 Sqn? I don’t think so, and even if they did, they would have simply held stocks on wheels for when we were held up by, you know, the enemy and stuff. They certainly weren’t in the ‘loop’ and were never planned to be. Think of them as the equivalent of turret stocks.

I don’t think so!
In my time they had as many trucks as 6. As you say, wherever possible they would keep ammo on wheels, but hey, we are different eras.

Truxx

LE
I think we’re still blowing up the barmines today. We were certainly shipping them to Afghanistan as demolition stores which gives you an idea of the stocks held.
at the time the "secure l of c" was 2 LSL and one HMAV a week and we were shipping bar mines by the trainload.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
In my time they had as many trucks as 6. As you say, wherever possible they would keep ammo on wheels, but hey, we are different eras.
By 3 years?

Yokel

LE
Has anyone noticed the comments about minelaying - defensive minefields to protect the ports? Civilian ferries being designated for being taken up from trade and converted at Cammell Laird. Was talk of using SSN/SSK for mining really a distraction for the KGB/GRU?

@Dunservin - any idea?

LD17

MIA
RARS Rates from the 1988 SOHB:

1612028492987.png

LD17

MIA
No Hy Arty by then - no matter because it was just about over.
I think they were just showing an Armd Div (1st it looks like) as an example, with MLRS/FH-70 as attachments. I didn’t see any charts for Corps Artillery separately. Let me check the earlier ones when they had 175mm/203mm.

Wasn't September a key date, as that was when one draft / conscript intake was due to finish, and the new one due to start? Delaying the exit would have been an indicator.
Was that a consideration for the timing of NATO exercise's always seem to deploy to Germany in September, would seem a tad handy if it kicked off at that time, that most NATO deployed reserve/TA troops were partially in situ...

Daily expenditure rate of 20 rounds per day per gun (120mm). Is that somewhat conservative or does it average out over all vehicles regardless of whether in combat or not?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

LD17

MIA
Daily expenditure rate of 20 rounds per day per gun (120mm). Is that somewhat conservative or does it average out over all vehicles regardless of whether in combat or not?
Sorry, I cut off the top of that chart, those are Second Line Scales figures.

1612049406223.png

1612049351811.png

1612049468392.png

LD17

MIA
That’s the one I remember for M107 - 70/80 rpg/d.

Your earlier table post dated M107/110 and referenced MLRS. I know you know that.
Yes, thank you. Just posting to show what the Staff Course planned for, which probably been turned upside down once the first round left THAT Rifle...........

Was that a consideration for the timing of NATO exercise's always seem to deploy to Germany in September, would seem a tad handy if it kicked off at that time, that most NATO deployed reserve/TA troops were partially in situ...
My understanding too...

Yokel

LE
The book War Plan UK by Duncan Campbell starts with a look of the leaked plans of the cancelled Home Defence exercise Hard Rock.

As I remember the official scenario involved East/West relations souring over a period of months, increased Warsaw Pact military activity, and eventually what we would now consider grey zone activities - harassing shipping and aviation, stopping diving operations in the North Sea by Soviet warships using active sonar, industrial sabotage, and terrorism.

That is what I meant by signs that things were turning nasty, not waiting for signs of Warsaw Pact mobilisation. I imagine the intelligence people were constantly looking for indicators.

Yokel

LE
I am not old enough to remember, but I understand that NATO regularly held reinforcement exercises to move forces across the Atlantic. Transatlantic supply in the order of 100 000 tons per day would be needed. Sea Control and defending the sea lines of communication was a major NATO naval task - and included the commitment of eight US carrier groups as well as our own Invincibles with Sea Kings and Sea Harriers.

GIUK80s 001.jpg

GIUK80s 002.jpg

GIUK80s 003.jpg

GIUK80s 004.jpg

GIUK80s 005.jpg

Latest Threads