British Cricketers - rightly cautious or just

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Victorian_Major, Dec 3, 2008.

?
  1. Go on tour, it's a national team FFS

52.9%
  2. Stay at home, it's only a sport

14.7%
  3. Count me in - I've got some whites in the cupboard!

17.6%
  4. Cricket, that's like golf and darts isn't it - hardly a sport at all?

14.7%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Linky...

R4 couldn't leave this alone this morning... are our cricketers doing the right thing by staying away or should they be checking their bollocks more often to see if they have a pair?

Perhaps our cricketing prestige stays intact if we don't go to India? Could arrse put together a team - who wants to go?

2. Not going back is only going to save them from a grade 1 thrashing anyway! Hope they do go or they are just giving into terrorism and we espect more of the Brits.

3. They should man the fuck up and go. Not going means that terrorism wins.

4. I think they should go to India. Their call though.

5. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Is there a state of general war or widespread government repression? if not, they should go and not wuss out.

6. On thr money they earn, there just a bunch of guttless wonks. Vera lynn , kathrin Jenkins both have a bigger pair

7. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

It's a game, and ok it might be a target, but with proper security that can be minimised, and India's a BIG country. You wouldn't avoid Berlin because Madrid was bombed, would you?

And if I hear Graham Gooch once more saying that 'their children will be telling them not to go', I'm going to scream. (A) the parents should be in charge and (B) do they think that people with real jobs that send them to dangerous places don't have children? If they're that worried, they can take the little bleeders with them !

Grr.

8. The thing is, its not likely to be proper security. If we were talking about Australia or England, they'd play, but in India or Pakistan? Sod that.

9. Play cricket against India in the aftermath of that cricket based tiff they'd be fools to go there to loose without a good excuse ;)

10. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

On on one level I agree with you and Ian Botham. I wouldn't want to set foot in either country for a number of reasons, but those reasons are not the recent events in Bombay.

However, these sportsmen live in a big bubble of armed protection, and would be safer than the likes of me when travelling, staying in the hotel, driving to the ground, at the ground and in the middle away from the stadium (I don't think there's a sniper threat yet?).

They should go. Imagine the fuss if people had refused to come here after any of the terrorist incidents of the last forty years.

(Tongue into cheek - perhaps they could get James Shortt and his team to look after them?)

11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Probably find that by citing recent events they can claim the money without going - everyones a winner

12. Some of them haven't even got the pods to get out to Abu Dhabi. :)

Good thing sportsmen stopped being role models a long time ago...

13. Agreed, BUT, if I hear Graham Gooch again EVER, I'm going to scream and be sick!

I have mixed views though. I believe they should go, even if they will be thrashed soundly. The probability of being taken apart by a seriously good Indian team, is one the main factors determining that they should go: or be considered sporting 'scaredy-cats'.

14. No one wants to be another Robert Croft and lose their place in the squad, central contracts and all that, so they will all go anyway. Having said that I wouldn't go; I saw an advert for "India, Incredible India" and almost wet myself! (The ironic laughing kind not the urinary incontinence kind).

15. I think they should all stay at home and get proper jobs like the rest of us. I'm sick of seeing 'win bonus' Peterson and 'three lion tattoos on my arm' Freddie in the paper with their all to familiar 'we've just lost aagin look' or their 'we just beat a Third World XI by an innings' look. They seem to have been on tour continually for the last 5 years. Have they actually won in that time?