British Council in Saint Petersburg defies Russian ban

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by KGB_resident, Jan 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

What would happen later. The office of British council in Saint Petersburg could be closed by the authorities and it would result in outcry in Western mass-media that likely would be ignored.

I fancy what British government would do if Russian diplomats would disagree to leave the UK? Likely they would be forcibly extraticted.
  2. msr

msr LE

Or perhaps the Russian Government should grow up and start acting like the political power they aspire to.

3. Much as I agree the Russkies are being twats, it is their country and the doctrine of sovereignty dictates that they have the right to determine which foreign bodies work in their country. UK Govt is playing rather fast and loose with the acceptable canons of international relations by ignoring the instructions of the host government.

I don't doubt for a minute, though, that we'll hear all sorts of whining from Moscow when the consequences of their actions kick in. If you don't want to play with our ball, fine. We'll take it home.
  4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Looks like things are warming up a tad, and getting just a little petulant.

What'll happen next I wonder? Maybe the offices will be raided and then forcibly closed down, followed by more expulsions from the UK etc, etc, etc.

Who can throw their teddy the furthest?
  5. Or perhaps the British Government should grow up and start acting like the political power it pretends to be.

There is Russian saying: Don't feel youselves as guests but don't forget that you are guests.
  6. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

As long as both sides behave until after my little trip end of March.
  7. Doesn't this all follow a recent pattern of Russia throwing her weight about? Sticking their flag under the North Pole, more long range bomber flights 'toward' Britain, fleet in the Med on exercises, whining about diplomats and refusing to extradite folk. You'll be able to tell when they get really serious because they'll put the price of gas up.
  8. Maybe we should expel all your prostitutes and crooks in retaliation...

I was going to say how sad it is that Putin is bringing politics into high culture, and how much I adore Russian literature- Dostoevsky, Babel, Bulgakov, Lermontov esp.- then I remembered that all my favourite Russian writers had been exiled, imprisoned or shot by the then Russian governments...
  9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

That's not fair now is it? What about the high culture of the novus riche Russians spreading throughout the world with their bling, wedge, Mercs and trophy ex-whore wives? They put mere English Wags and Footies to shame, so they do.
  10. ... and begin with well-known crook mr.Abramovitch. What is he doing in the UK? I would not object nationalisation of FC Chelsea. As for prostitutes then it is also a very good idea.

As I suspect, the British hoped to see (and report about) police action but unfortunately Russian diplomats apparently foresaw this intention.

Btw, allegedly British council offices in Russia were overcowded by MI6 lads and lassies.

11. msr

msr LE

Wrong again. What is it with you Russians, you see spies, provocation, foreign agents and other nonsense everywhere you look?

FFS, get a grip of your culture - oh and pop into the British Council offices and enjoy some of ours ;)

13. msr

msr LE

That's from 2 years ago. And where is the suggestion they worked for the British Council?