British & Commonwealth POWs WW2 (Army, Navy Airforce)

I have a complete list of British POW's officers and other ranks 1939 - 1945
held in Germany and German occupied territories. Plus POW's officers and other ranks RN & RAF held in Germany and German occupied territories 1939 - 1945.....details include ...number, rank, name, Camp number and POW number......

If any arrsers who are researching POW's during WW2 ....please contact me if you require any details of anyone!

boris7 said:
held in Germany and German occupied territories. Plus POW's officers and other ranks RN & RAF held in Germany and German occupied territories 1939 - 1945.....details include ...number, rank, name, Camp number and POW number......

If any arrsers who are researching POW's during WW2 ....please contact me if you require any details of anyone!
Boris - I would be most interested to hear about my uncle. Don't know if he's still alive today, but he was captured at Dunkirk in 1940, & repatriated in an exchange in, I think, 1944. His name is Wilfred Sweeting. I think he was a Staff-Sergeant or WO2 in the East Yorkshire Regiment. Any info would be gratefully received. Nobody in my family speaks of those days, and most of them who lived through it have since died, so my research base is pretty thin.

Cheers,
Cliff.

hi boris , is your list in ..book form or on computer disk..
if its disk id be most interested in a run off of names of pows from ..xib and 357.. for the fallingbostel military museum..
if its in the hmso,, book form ive all ready got the army book..
would be interested in the raf and commenwealth though...
cheers...pupgreen.

pupgreen said:
hi boris , is your list in ..book form or on computer disk..
if its disk id be most interested in a run off of names of pows from ..xib and 357.. for the fallingbostel military museum..
if its in the hmso,, book form ive all ready got the army book..
would be interested in the raf and commenwealth though...
cheers...pupgreen.
In a specific case you can access the Australian War Memorial WW2 nominal roll for all three services. This will include any decorations and/or POW status. If you have any relations or friends who served with Aussie forces you can print out a colour service certificate for them.

pupgreen........my lists are in book format printed in 1990....from original lists March 1945.....printed by JB Hayward & Sons......alas they are nolonger in business.....spoke to the daughter of JB Hayward in 1990.....

Yes I will go through the Navy & RAF lists for you, I can either mail you the completed lists via snail mail or or by email attachment .......
Please pm me which method to send.....

I have time on my hands!!!!!

CliSwe.... I dont have the info you require since your uncle was repatriated in an exchange about 1944.. But if you write to the International Red Cross in Geneva Switzerland....they will have the info you require. The Red X made visits to camps and were involved inrepatriated/exchange cases......I even got a complete audit trail of own my father when he was a POW (1940 -1945) names of the camps he was in and visiting RED X reports.

Write to them and give as much detail as you can........replies can take up to 6 months......but worth it........

Good luck in your quest....

boris 7- hi--christ it will take you years to go through the books..ive got the army one and i know how many xib and 357 entries there are...
i will take you up on your offer if you wish to,, but it would be a monster job,,,shame they arnt on a computer base somewhere..
if you do go ahead put it to disk and send it .. that way it will be saved for ever in the museum ...thanks...pupgreen.

boris7 said:

I remember reading in a book about 'Shingle Street' (IIRC) that an older chap with Home Guard shoulder titles was found languishing in a German prison,apparently snatched by a German shore raiding party.

Just reading a book on the Soviet Gulag system and theres a small paragraph about 10 scotsmen being held in the system after the war the author was unable to find any further info with rewgards to this. Isnt there supposed to be quite a few POW's who remain unaccounted for?

pupgreen said:
boris 7- hi--christ it will take you years to go through the books..ive got the army one and i know how many xib and 357 entries there are...
i will take you up on your offer if you wish to,, but it would be a monster job,,,shame they arnt on a computer base somewhere..
if you do go ahead put it to disk and send it .. that way it will be saved for ever in the museum ...thanks...pupgreen.
I have completed the RN, to include marines.......Done RAF officers....just got to do RAF other ranks........will get back to you when completed.....

Hello Boris,

I trying to research my late father's WW2 history while he was a POW & as up to now I'm not having much success.

My father spoke very little about this time in his life & just prior to his death in 1981 he claimed is WW2 medals for me, one being an "Oak Leaf". Back in about 1982 my late mother wrote a letter to the Army Records Office requesting any information about my fathers Army service history but alas nothing was forthcoming. My mother did not know anything about the time & experiences of fathers POW years other than the letters & picture postcards she used to receive from him while imprisoned & a few of these I retain.
The only information I have managed to obtain is below & if you are able to add any further details I would be most grateful.

Private David William Whitehouse (Army No. 7363592) Royal Army Medical Corps.
Stalag 20A (Fort 3?) Thorn Podgorz, Poland.
POW No. 20316

Regards,
Michael Whitehouse

Gidday Boris - I have began researching my Paternal Grandfathers service history.His name was James Walker Serginson (soldier Number 3597669) and was in the Borderers Regiment.He was from Cockermouth, Cumbria. He was a POW in Thorn Podgroz but I don't know when or where he was captured. I am hoping to find stories and dates from anyone who may have known him and I would like to record his story for my kids and their cousins to keep his memory alive in our family. Any help would be great,Thanks...Marianne

Just reading a book on the Soviet Gulag system and theres a small paragraph about 10 scotsmen being held in the system after the war the author was unable to find any further info with rewgards to this. Isnt there supposed to be quite a few POW's who remain unaccounted for?
British Democracy Forum - Commonwealth Troops in the Gulag - Time To Tell The Truth, Mr. Medvedev.

I just watched a program on Sky called "Missing in Action" which went into this in some detail ( albeit more about the yanks ), very interesting and thought provoking, if true we hung our people out to dry.
There was also a bit about what we done to the Cossacks which leaves a bad taste in the mouth......

Hi Boris, I know my Dad ended up in Hohenstein near Dresden but I believe he was in other camps. Could you please check this out and also his prison number. His name was Neville Whitehead. York England. In the Black Watch and Seaford Highlanders. Thankyou from his daughter, Jackie Clayton (Australia)

I am trying to find out in which POW camp my uncle L/Cpl EJ Carbery 26505 Imperial Light Horse was imprisoned. He was captured at Tobruk and took part in the long marchwest from E Germany or Poland

Latest Threads