British Civil War

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RoyalEngineers, Sep 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What if Charles attacked London when he had the chance? What if he didn't turn about and March to Oxford? Would be dictated? I can't imagine what our country would be like :eek:

Can you? :arrow:
  2. I don't know the answer but i think we need another Cromwell now to take over!!!
  3. A puritan madman - I think not. God Save the Queen and damn you for suggesting her downfall.
  4. Yes, a red hot Proddy with a warty face. Yep, that's just what this counrty needs. I suppose you could always offer the job to Big Ian.
  5. You'd have all been finer people for it.
  6. We already have a puritanical madman in parliament who wishes to see the Queen removed as Head of State.

I for one shall be more than happy to see his entrails scattered to the four corners of our Kingdom!
  7. Vivat Carolus Rex the flag of the Irish Catholic Confederation of the 1640s used to say.

Like Louis XVI after him, Charles I was a well-meaning, yet weak and vacillating monarch at a crucial period. Ultimately though, the British Civil Wars (don't forget Scotland and Ireland) and the later Glorious Revolution established parliamentary democracy and reinforced the position of the monarchy; the alternative was what happened in France from 1789 onwards.
  8. he would have lost, london was a parliamentarian city and it was very well defended....

(and it was the ENGLISH Civil War)
  9. The Queens an excellent Monarch so i'll keep her,not sure about the rest of her dysfunctional family though!
  10. ...which must be why Scotland was at war from 1637 and Ireland from 1641 (until 1654).
  11. He is also increasingly resembling a character from a Vincent Price Horror film with his pasty white face.
    He gives me the creeps,i'm sure he sleeps in a coffin instead of a bed!!
  12. Then why suggest the return of a regicide then.
  13. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

There was me thinking there was an Act of Union before 1707!
  14. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Lots of 'what ifs' in history.

What if Charles Stewart hadn't turned round at Derby & gone on to an undefended London, would England be ruled by Scots?
    Oh sh!t they are. :D
  15. Indeed it was the English Civil War. Certainly the first and second Civil War were anyway. The royalists in Scotland were far too busy fighting against the so-called covenanters from 1644 onward. After Montrose had his butt handed to him by the covenanters of course, Charles II join forces with the covenanters and became the single biggest threat to the English republic.

This led, almost inevitably, to what is now described by most historians as the third English Civil War, although most of the military activity took place in Scotland. After various jigs and reels, which resulted in the New Model Army capturing various key points in Scotland and Charles II heading deep into England, Cromwell finally defeated Chas at the Battle of Worcester. Which pretty much put an end to the royalist cause until after Cromwell was long dead.