British Citizens held under armed guard.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by FatBoyGeorge, Apr 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Unbelievably, to me anyway, the Russian authorities are holding brits under armed guard in a single hotel corridor. They are not allowed to leave the corridor, have no access to their medicines or luggage, so have been festering in the same clothes. They are flight passengers stranded on their way back from Thailand, and I believe they have been there since Friday. At no point on boarding the flight were they informed about the closed airspace in Europe or that they will be dumped in Russia and rounded up.

I find it astounding that our Embassy in Moscow has not been able to do anything to ease their situation. The young lady being interviewed is the sister of a friend of mine so I'm not just jumping on the outrage bus whilst making all sorts of assumptions, although if anyone has the works ticket....

Click HERE for the article and video.

3. Complain to KGB resident, he might be able to pull a few strings.
  4. The Russian authorities have never (officially) approved of sex tourism.
  5. Yes I did read that bit, doesn't change the fact nothing has been achieved. There are people from all over the world stranded in a foreign land yet the Russians see it fit to hold those stuck under guard. Not even any access outside of the hotel to try and sort out a flight/train somewhere closer to the UK. I have an immediate friend trapped in the USA with no visa, yet he is free to sample the delights of Vegas.

6. Tongue in cheek comment there!
  7. but which cheek will the tongue be in???
  8. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I thought it was a she. A boring, agitating party mouthpiece for sure, but for some reason I was under the impression it was a woman.
  9. Entente cordiale? What's wrong with Ribena?
  10. Well it's not like the Reds to make an example of people.

11. Was that not the reason for the Russian Airborne foray into Afghanistan in '79? From what I heard, they enjoyed the local custom and stayed a while.
  12. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Well, in terms of Human Rights abuses carried out by Russia, this pales next to their vast historical experience in such matters.
  13. Ah yes, Um Bongo. They drink it in the Congo, don't you know?

14. YES, but they do make excedingly good beer.....Stella anyone
  15. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Why hasn't Gordon rescued them. He is supposed to have saved of the world isn't he? I don't get it. Surely one quick phone call to his mate Putin and they would be released with free tickets to Lenin's Tomb and the Bolshoi. A huge triumph in the run up to the election.

Meanwhile back on planet earth perhaps some of Brown's cronies have realised if Brown got involved the resulting fcuk-up might look bad and might compromise their ride on the gravy train. Maybe they haven't told the twunt.

If I was the malevolent kind I might contact R4 and demand that Brown do something. I won't because as much as I detest him I would be worried about the possible bad outcome for the stranded Brits.