British citizen born and living overseas.

@AndyA . If I were you I would get your application underway regardless of what you were told at the AFCO. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Login - British Army Jobs . You need to register first. I don't see much point in hanging around. You'll find out what's required once your application is in the system.

As an aside I had a look at the Royal Navy's AFCO Form 5 ( 2016 ) Eligibility & Guidance Notes and although a 5 year residency in UK is the norm, they are prepared to consider a waiver to that requirement based on, inter alia, the parents of an applicant living and working abroad. The Army may be the same. I don't know, and neither will you unless you get your application moving.

Not fancy joining the Royal Netherlands Army or one of the other Dutch forces? If I spent my whole life living in a country and wanted a military career I’d feel somewhat indebted to the country I’d spent my life in

@AndyA . If I were you I would get your application underway regardless of what you were told at the AFCO. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Login - British Army Jobs . You need to register first. I don't see much point in hanging around. You'll find out what's required once your application is in the system.

As an aside I had a look at the Royal Navy's AFCO Form 5 ( 2016 ) Eligibility & Guidance Notes and although a 5 year residency in UK is the norm, they are prepared to consider a waiver to that requirement based on, inter alia, the parents of an applicant living and working abroad. The Army may be the same. I don't know, and neither will you unless you get your application moving.
I'm going to apply as soon as I finish school.

I contacted the RM multiple times and they told me that I can join as long as I have access to a British passport, regardless of my residency.

Last edited:
Not fancy joining the Royal Netherlands Army or one of the other Dutch forces? If I spent my whole life living in a country and wanted a military career I’d feel somewhat indebted to the country I’d spent my life in
No I don't fancy joining the Dutch armed forces. My loyalty lies with the UK.

I'm going to apply as soon as I finish school.

I contacted the RM multiple times and they told me that I can join as long as I have access to a British passport, regardless of my residency.
The Army's probably the same. Get your passport and then get your application moving when you're ready.

Latest Threads