British citizen born and living overseas.

I am British by birth, and both parents are/were British. I lived as an expat from 1982 until 1993 when I returned and joined the TA, joining as a regular in 1997. The Commonwealth aspect is not something you should focus on as it doesn't cover you. Do you have a British passport? If so, move here, get bar work or something and go through the process. I hadn't lived here for five years so unless the rules have changed, you should be okay.

I gave them a ring but unfortunately they couldn't give me any info. All that the person that I spoke to knew was that the commonwealth 5 year residency requirement hasn't been scrapped yet... Even though their website states otherwise. This crapita shite is really starting to piss me off.
What a mickey mouse company.

I am British by birth, and both parents are/were British. I lived as an expat from 1982 until 1993 when I returned and joined the TA, joining as a regular in 1997. The Commonwealth aspect is not something you should focus on as it doesn't cover you. Do you have a British passport? If so, move here, get bar work or something and go through the process. I hadn't lived here for five years so unless the rules have changed, you should be okay.
I'm planning to move to NI in May and get my passport there. As soon as I get it I'm going to apply. I'll probably get a job or something so I can foot some of my grandmother's bills. Don't want to leech off of her.

The only reason why I've mentioned the commonwealth crap is because the AFCO in Holywood said that the commonwealth rules apply to me as well.

I'm planning to move to NI in May and get my passport there. As soon as I get it I'm going to apply. I'll probably get a job or something so I can foot some of my grandmother's bills. Don't want to leech off of her. :p

The only reason why I've mentioned the commonwealth crap is because the AFCO in Holywood said that the commonwealth rules apply to me as well.
I got a passport in Amsterdam when with NATO. Was your grandmother born on the island is Ireland? Where about are you going to live in NI?

Aye my grandmother was born in Northern Ireland, so was my mother btw. I'm going to live in Newtownards.
You can always get an Eire passport. They were allowed to join directly. I'm out for just over a year... So will be out if date

You can always get an Eire passport. They were allowed to join directly. I'm out for just over a year... So will be out if date
I didn't know that I could do that. That would probably be my last resort option though cos I don't want to give up my Dutch citizenship and I'm not particularly keen on the roi.

Thanks though, this is pretty good news.

I didn't know that I could do that. That would probably be my last resort option though cos I don't want to give up my Dutch citizenship and I'm not particularly keen on the roi.

Thanks though, this is pretty good news.
You won't I have two passports

I think I might actually just get my Irish citizenship and join as an Irish citizen. I just gave them another ring and now they told me that it depends on a case by case basis. If I join as an Irish citizen that shite won't be an issue, unless they require Irish citizens to have lived in the roi for a number of years... Highly doubt it though.

I doubt they'll allow me to first apply as a British citizen and then (if I have to meet the 5 year residency requirement) turn up a couple of months later as an Irish citizen.

I think I might actually just get my Irish citizenship and join as an Irish citizen. I just gave them another ring and now they told me that it depends on a case by case basis. If I join as an Irish citizen that shite won't be an issue, unless they require Irish citizens to have lived in the roi for a number of years... Highly doubt it though.

I doubt they'll allow me to first apply as a British citizen and then (if I have to meet the 5 year residency requirement) turn up a couple of months later as an Irish citizen.
I'm in NI in July you can buy me a Guinness

Latest Threads