British citizen born and living overseas.

Hi,

I'll start off by giving yous some general info about myself that might be relevant.
  • I'm British and Dutch.
  • Lived all of my life in the Netherlands
  • British by descent
  • 18yo
I want to join the British army as a regular soldier. Last year I went to the AFCO in Holywood. There they told me that I have to have lived for at least five years in the UK for me to be eligible to join. They didn't know why their website didn't state that. When I asked if I could possibly fill one of the 200 slots for people from the commonwealth they told me that that wasn't possible.

Now the all commonwealth citizens can join without having to meet the five year residency requirement. Unfortunately I can't find anything about the residency requirement for dual nationals that were born abroad. Do anyone of yous know anything about this? Any info would be appreciated :)

Thank you.

Top tip. Ask the Arny recruitment peeps not Dads Army on ARRSE.

If your parents are British, i think you can (even if just 1 is)
I looked into this matter, a while back
My son was born in France and his mother is French (dcd). Am Scottish.
I can clearly remember at the time, understanding thru the U.K.Govermental sites. ..
A child born by a British citizen living over seas can aquire British citizenship.
If that's the case and the child requests and obtains British citizenship. ..I can not see any reason why he can not join the Brits
Obvisouly you speak and write a couple of différent languages. That's an asset
Where there is a will, there is a way
Good luck, mensch

If your parents are British, i think you can (even if just 1 is)
I looked into this matter, a while back
My son was born in France and his mother is French (dcd). Am Scottish.
I can clearly remember at the time, understanding thru the U.K.Govermental sites. ..
A child born by a British citizen living over seas can aquire British citizenship.
If that's the case and the child requests and obtains British citizenship. ..I can not see any reason why he can not join the Brits
Obvisouly you speak and write a couple of différent languages. That's an asset
Where there is a will, there is a way
Good luck, mensch
First and foremost, thanks for the reply!

My mother is British so I automatically acquired British citizenship when I was born, so that isn't an issue. The problem is that they used to require all British citizens to have lived in the UK for five years prior to applying. Now that they scrapped the five year residency requirement for citizens of the commonwealth it would be logical for the MOD to scrap the rule for British citizens as well. Whether or not they've done that is the question. So far I've been unable to find anything about it online.

It would be a kind of discrimination if so
Adds: at the time. It was me who had to apply for him as he was minor. Now adult, if he decides to request British citizenship, he needs to prove his affiliation (thru me) My birth certificats and his partenal grand parents, etc etc
Nothing is aquired by birth (Fr - UK) Red tape is all it is

Last edited:
First and foremost, thanks for the reply!

My mother is British so I automatically acquired British citizenship when I was born, so that isn't an issue. The problem is that they used to require all British citizens to have lived in the UK for five years prior to applying. Now that they scrapped the five year residency requirement for citizens of the commonwealth it would be logical for the MOD to scrap the rule for British citizens as well. Whether or not they've done that is the question. So far I've been unable to find anything about it online.
Sorry; don't agree in the general case. In your case, I do agree, but not for all British Citizens.

Take for example a person who was born to a British Citizen mother in China (or Russia, Iran, N Korea, or any number of Middle Eastern or Asian countries). They may have lived there all their lives, and be culturally and ethnically (particularly if their mother was ethnically of that country) alien to the UK. They may not have even basic proficiency in English. Let alone the ability to vet them via existing methods for more traditionally-recruited citizens/residents.

Clearly, you aren't in that boat, but it's by no means as simple as saying "British Citizen = qualified by birthright to be suitable applicant for UK Armed Forces".

As for discrimination, yes, it is. Deliberately, and appropriately so.

That said, I've been a Spam for 14 years and wouldn't get in again either, so I'm not being deliberately difficult, just explaining why it is as it is.

Personally, I wish you the best and hope you are successful.

It would be a kind of discrimination if so
Adds: at the time. It was me who had to apply for him as he was minor. Now adult, if he decides to request British citizenship, he needs to prove his affiliation (thru me) My birth certificats and his partenal grand parents, etc etc
Nothing is aquired by birth (Fr - UK) Red tape is all it is
Here are a couple of screenshots showing the rules for UK citizenship, if you were born abroad and have at least one British parent.

Screenshot_20181228-143719.png
Screenshot_20181228-143131.png

Walk into the careers office, with your British passport and apply that way. It is so much easier than trying to negotiate the internet/phone. If you apply by talking directly to a human being you will get somewhere.
Have you got relatives in the UK? If you have, just say you’ve lived with them for the last 5 years

Walk into the careers office, with your British passport and apply that way. It is so much easier than trying to negotiate the internet/phone. If you apply by talking directly to a human being you will get somewhere.
Have you got relatives in the UK? If you have, just say you’ve lived with them for the last 5 years
I went to a careers office about a year ago and then they told me that I wouldn't be eligible unless I moved over and lived there for at least five years :/

And yes I have plenty of relatives in the UK. Surely lying isn't an option though?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
And how do you explain the fact that you don't appear on any kind of list for those 5 years, tax, benefits, electoral roll, NI payments?

And yes I have plenty of relatives in the UK. Surely lying isn't an option though?

It's not. Which role are you applying for? I know there are some jobs that require more vetting than others.

I was born in Cyprus and spent all bar 2 years of my life overseas. I joined in Germany, but then that was 30 years ago, so my opinion is massively out of date. Much like 99% of everyone else on Arrse

Latest Threads