British brigadier attacks Americas John Wayne generals

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Taz_786, Apr 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Luvved the Raqui Comment
    " "Hey, Mr American, next time before you shout so much you should speak to him. He is British - they know how to invade a country."

Ah nice ta know we're apreciated
  3. I'm wi' the Brig
  4. Classy :)
  5. Every now and then something comes along that swells your national pride :D

I'm so proud :D
  6. Whilst there is no doubt that US military are the undisputed champions of military hardware, technology and power, they just don't get it. Lost count of the number of times I've stared back in disbelief as some septic 4 star general, in an area containing 10000 armed US troops, rocks up in a press conference wearing a fcukin shoulder holster! I mean come on, WTF! is he expecting to "cap some ass" ??

Even more insulting, is when general shoulder holster rocks up into a meeting of sunni tribal elders and lectures them whilst wearing a helmet, wrapround shades and carrying a silver .45 with white bone pistol grips!!!!!!!!!
  7. We Brit's invaded countries in the Past?
    I that was "bringing light to the Darker regions of the Globe"!

Sadly though, the "sharpened Slices of Melons" mobs seem a little thin on the ground these days.
  9. I doubt very much that this was the main thrust of Brig Sharpe's thesis, or anything much more than a passing observation; but I have no doubt at all that it was the juiciest bit seized by the journos to sell as many papers as possible for the braying and guffawing Countryside Alliance types to feel good about themselves.

We would do well to remember that a lot of the lessons the UK learned, were learned the hard way and the yanks, to their credit are taking notice. I understand that TE Lawrence is selling rather well, for example.

Now, before anybody thinks I've jumped ship and joined the other side, I will say that that it would seem that George C Scott has an awful lot to answer for. Although it would appear that Jackie Gleason is the role model for some US General officers:

10. Isn't this the second Brig to bring these sort of views forward?
  11. You have every right to be.
  12. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I'm with the Brig on this one. A certain Gen Petreus ("the man who saved Iraq" - the title the US press gave to him) was the worst when I was there. Couldn't miss a photo opportunity and loved preaching to anyone in company of "his vision".

Reality check wasn't done often enough and even the Yanks I was with had the view he was too much Hollywood, played God too often, even for the other 4* in country and the 3* I worked for who regularly had closed door sessions to try and calm him down. However, he had political aspirations and liked practising hard.....

edited once for finger mong problems...
  13. Problem is with the Spams is they can start a fight, but rarely finish it without it becoming a complete cluster. Apart from Grenada, where they liberated the island from Marxist sun bed operators. Now they are sabre rattling again. My advice would be, think about how to get out before you go in!
  14. Spot on Geek,
    we simply have different styles, ours work - theirs don't. The shoulder holster thing is pure theatre. Throughout the kosovo campaign POD did not carry a weapon, he had a couple of lads who took care of that business on his behalf, which allowed him freedom to focus on bigger issues - like getting us out of there!!
  15. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Hmmm. It's all very well criticising the Americans but the truth is that, although we might demonstrate a tad more tactical acumen on the ground (although conditions make a straight comparison between what we're doing in the south and what they're doing elsewhere somewhat problematic), strategically we were party to the same God almighty feck up: if we were so great, we should have either put them straight about what was going to transpire circa Feb 2003, or we should have declined to take part.