British Bastille Day

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by WhiteHorse, Jul 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today the French had a parade, a fair few thousand troops, dozens of APCs and Tanks, 58 fixed wing aircraft and 29 helicopters.

Why don't we have a yearly parade?

2. I believe that British yearly parade would be very imperssive. Have you seen the parade in Moscow 9 May?

3. probably to busy ,Though in the intrest of cross chanel diplomacy having rubbed the frogs navy in it with traflagar which annvisery
    do we invite their army to. ?

4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

The British public know that their troops are the best.
    The CESMs need to see a Red Square type parade in an attempt to convince them someone has a spine.
    Interestingly the frog parade is led by foreigners...

5. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Ooooh I dunno, but it should be i the summer so the weather's nice.

How does the eighteenth of June sound ?

6. We do. It's called Trooping the Colour. All the wooden tops martching up and down the square. Life is busy enough without three weeks (at least) of bullshit and rehersals prior to something like a Bastille Day parade.

7. True, I feel that the public would be impressed bysome Chally 2's ripping up the tarmac of Pall Mall with half the RAF zooming overhead, followed by 20 or so Apaches and other helicopters. The crowds would love it.

8. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

Whitehorse, that's a great idea! How many MBTs, IFVs and aircraft can we get through Paris and in how long? The Germans did it in 3 weeks flat so I think we should make it a biannual competition event with us and the krauts taking turns.

9. Woah!......Army stuff should all be engaged elsewhere (Woodentops excluded) If its not then Labours Foreign Policy is failing........no military on the streets of London until the coup

10. Yes, they always invite a foreign nation. A few years a go a battalion of Bundeswehr caused a few raised eyebrows (as part of the mixed German/French Eurocorps). Some people in Paris didn't fancy seeing tanks bearing the Iron Cross passing through the Arc de Triomphe and down the Champs Elysees. I wonder why? :D

Jan

BTW, last year it was the Royal Marines, IIRC.

11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Actually Jan I meant la légion étrangère.

12. If the frogs had any sense of tradition they would march with their hands in the air.

13. re the Tank competition
    the handicapping might be a problem as germanys got a landborder and we have to do the private ryan thing :roll:

14. Let the Russians lead it. They were the first into Paris in 1814 so its about their turn again.