British Barrister To Defend Saddam?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MOD_Oracle, Oct 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Much as I think he should be strung up with a length of rusty knotted barbed wire, can have King George and Ar Tone for company I see that the, Immunity for Heads of State, card will be played.
    In a fair court he would be in with a chance but somehow I think Justice will be done.
    john

2. Fair court?? fat chance!

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Sorry....why do they have to p7ssball about with Saddam and go through all this 'due legal process' bullshit.......give him a fair trial then take him outside and shoot the tw4t.

Good quote from the televised "debate" between Gorgeous George Galloway and Christopher Hitchens

( http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/iraq_debate.shtml )

Christopher Hitchins correctly pointed out that but for US/UK intervention:

He's guilty as charged ...sod the show trial....give him to the Iraqi government to pass sentence.

Lee Shaver

4. Further info taken from BBC news N.I

BBC News Northern Ireland

[quoted]A Londonderry solicitor is set to defend Saddam Hussein against charges of crimes against humanity.

Des Doherty, who was also involved in the Bloody Sunday inquiry, will act as the former dictator of Iraq's solicitor.

Saddam's trial is due to begin next Wednesday in Baghdad.

The trial is expected to be one of the biggest in legal history with TV pictures of proceedings to be relayed around the world.

It is understood Anthony Scrivener QC, a prominent human rights lawyer, has been approached to lead the defence.

Mr Scrivener helped free the Guildford Four in 1989.

Saddam Hussein's lawyers have attacked the legitimacy of the tribunal and say they do not know all the charges.

Chief judge Raed Juhi has said he hopes the proceedings will be televised.

Human rights lawyer Geoffrey Bindman said Mr Scrivener's participation would help to avoid the trial "descending into farce".

"If this is not to become a mockery, [it is important] that there are proper lawyers and good lawyers on the defence side, who can help to make it into a fair process," he said.[/quote]

5. Yeah sure, shoot him, and make him a martar for Nutty Arabs, hell do it publicly, for added fuel to the civil war.

No, much better to lock him up in some higly relgious Christain contry until he croaks of old age. Maybe some island of the South American coast.

6. Imagine how much egg would be on the shaved chimp and our very own Tony bLiar faces if the case collapses!!!

7. The decision to televise this rests with four judges

Hmmmmm shall I go and re-new my Sky sub? "Live" means a 5 minute delay due to "atmospheric" conditions, as Saddam spills the beans on his cosy relationship with a few people.

8. That's what I was thinking too! What if they try him and he gets off?

MsG

9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

What do you think the Iraqis are most worried about? What stops the efforts to rebuild most of all ?
    The nightmare possibility that the creature will be allowed to return to power......I don't think he would be seen as a ...ahem...'marter' by anyone...anymore than Caesescu or Idi Amin or Papa Doc Duvalier or Sese Mobutu can be seen as martyrs....just nasty dictators who were (eventually) removed from power and in Caesescu's case got what they (richly) deserved.

Lee Shaver

10. I second Goatman's comment there. While there are some people who are obviously lacking in the brain department, I think most Iraqis have seen and suffered enough to think twice before considering him a martyr. I think one mistake we make is to put all the nutters under one umbrella. Yes, they may be against the coalition forces occupying Iraq, but that does not necessarily mean that they are supporters of Saddam Hussein.

As for barristers, where money and notoriety goes, they go. :p

11. shocked at PTP... you mean some people have been chasing with the hound and running with the fox..... ooooooh the drama!

12. All this talk of a trial - SH does not deserve that! Just remembering of how he tortured people (including his own). They didnt get any trial. He should be made to suffer. With him going on trial he will have the benefit of something called "hope" which again he does not deserve. This man has no remorse for what he has inflicted.

13. It'll be better than Eastenders Pomps, as Saddam talks "Abaht Faaaaaaaaamily" :D

14. Oh the delay is now 20 minutes???? Serious atmospheric conditions, must be Monsoon season in Baghdad :roll: