British Armys Worst Acronyms (BAWA)!

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Crusty(LE), Jul 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tornado is now being fitted with the "Tornado Advanced Radar Display and Information System"

Quite a step up in technology! :lol:

2. ASO to SNOWI - Assistant Staff Officer to Senior Naval Officer West Indies

Best if the ASO is pronounced ARSO.

3. And so it goes on. As the In Theatre Interpreter (Italy) the RAF referred to me as the ITI. Only the RAF could do that!

4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

So what language do you speak ?

5. In the US Navy, at least at one time there were designators for the "teeth" portions of the Line Officer (i.e. Executive) community. Those who were not so designated were General Unrestricted Line Officers or GURLs. Important to note that most GURLs were female officers at that time.

Until a few years ago the local police in Montréal, QC, Canada were Policier-Sureté Communauté Urbaine Montréal. The police cars were labeled P-SCUM , which was pronounced "pee-scum" . Sounds like toilet residue.

IIRC ambulances were SU-CUM, local transit T-CUM. When Montréal expanded to the Communauté Métropolitaine de Montréal labeling changed.

(note: I know there should be a circumflex over the "U" in Sureté, can't make the computer do it.)

6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Don't worry. It's French. No one cares

7. With the advent of JPA

Computer Users Not Trained or

In Cyprus:

2 Sector Head of IT or 2 shits

8. i think that may have been an intentional Backronym ...

9. On TELIC I was responsible for setting up GEMS stuff... affectionately (I hope!) known as the Secretary of the Local Awards Group!

10. and when someone cocks up they recieve an LPCE.

Leather Personnel Carrier Enema (boot up the arrse).

11. In the late 90's 4 Bde HQ replaced their complex tents with new ones which were almost twice the size.

An upgrade from the old BFT (Big Fucking Tent) to the new BFOT (Big Fuck Off Tent).

12. :lol:

First Aid Nursing Yeomany were, indeed, part of WW1 Med and are are still in force in a voluntary capacity, staffing emergency phonelines in the Capital as and when required, prompting some hapless lass to announce to the nation at either Remembrance Sunday or Lord Mayor's Parade (can't recall which)

"Yes, if you have ever called one of those lines, you've had a FANY on the the other end" :oops:

Possible a recruit for The Imperial One there, too.

I'm reliably informed that the Rape And Masturbation Corps continue to make their presence felt ...

:p

13. The Fortress HQ telephone directory in Gibraltar in the early 1970's listed FEME and FOWO (Fortress Electrical and Mechanical Engineer and Fortress Ordnance Warrant Officer). We all thought they were names for senior officers poodles.

14. from my Legion days, the best of the French Foreign Legion Paras were called CRAP (Commando de Renseignement et Action Profonde (and variations)), it took the Gulf War for them to cop on.

I was trained in "deep penetration in the enemies rear" and I am not sure what that makes me, pass my hand bag I am going to assault the enemy.

Hmm, the course for Foreign Legion cooks is CTE 007, hmmmmm.

15. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I was recently told to rename my project to something that didn't include "facility" or "service" as they were misleading words. In the end I settled on:

Battlefield Imagery Generation & Terrain Integration for Training Simulations.

The boss said no on the basis that we "can't use Battlefield, because it's a Joint project". JIGTITS might work, thinking about it....

We do, however, have Unit Based Virtual Urban Combat Trainer - pronounced "You Be Vucked".