British Armys Worst Acronyms (BAWA)!

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Crusty(LE), Jul 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are we really now in the realms of defining our future doctrine based on the ability of the title of the project/programme or study to form a clever acronym???

I've just spotted this in the June JHC Newsletter:

"Visual Ability & Manned Performance in Illumination Reduced Environments Guidance (VAMPIRE) . The conduct of war has
    changed. Previously limited by daylight, around the clock preparation and actual combat is now the norm. Although our
    technology can continue to operate in darkness and without “rest”, humans are less able to perform in reduced illumination and
    sleep deprived environments. The guide has been designed to collate information on the major issues surrounding night
    operations from various sources, and advises commanders and authorizing officers how to identify the hazard, and manage the
    risk. "

Is this the same as...Fighting at Night? (FAN! )

Many more (real ones) I'm sure...!
  2. Replace FIBUA with FISH (Fighting In Someone's House).
  3. FISCH (Fighting In Some Cnuts House) & CHIPS (Creating Havoc In People's Streets)
  4. Royal Navy rather than Army but Sub-Lieutenant Under Training or SLUTs!!!
  5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Another RN one - Flag Lieutenant to the Admiralty Board - FLAB
  6. FIWAF

Fighting In Woods And Forest

Fighting Indians With A Fish
  7. From BAOR - Divisional Intelligence Liaison Duty Officer = DILDO
  8. Why call a truck a TCV troop carrying vechicle ? Its not like this term is ever applied to anything other than a 4 tonner in my experince .And when did
    small arms become weapon systems is to try and make infantry seem clever ?
  9. When conducting rehearsals of night operations during daylight, you are, in effect, conducting a Night Exercise Without Darkness, or a NEWD.

10. Favourite for gate guards , COW is coming . ( Co Wife )
  11. For some reason SO1 UNTANT didn't want to be called Commander UNTAT, can't think why......................................
  12. UN Cyprus have a Sector Civil Affairs Team WO, commonly known as the SCAT WO... Does this make him the SHIT Warrant Officer??

By the way how do I add a picture file??
  13. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Pre-Belize training, many years ago - Dartmoor, of course...

We had a JEWT = Jungle Exercise Without Trees
  14. Guess that didnt work lol....
  15. There is a G1 application called AP3, used for tracking personnel in and out of operational theatres.

The AP stands for 'Andrew Paul' (not full name), the Desk Officer at the DEC named it after himself. Classic.