British army

Hi,
This is my first post so I dont know how this works really. But anyway I am 19yr old and wanting to join the army for many years always been a dream of mine.

But just recently found out am going to be a father to my first child. I am a proper big family man I can deal with long time away it's just as it's my first child I dont want miss anything or feel like am abandoning my Gf nd soon new born baby.

My question is do I get enough time off to go home and see them both I want to help them as much as I can. Or is it better for me to join my local reserves (4Yorks) for a few years and then go full time I dont know what I should do it's been on my mind for a while.

Thank you to any responses anything is appreciated at this time.

There are plenty of posts on here that answer that question. Have a look around.
But, be aware, you will go through several stages of training which could last some time and you won't even be able to get home. Then, depending what you join, you could be posted somewhere a long way off so getting home regularly would be awkward.
On the plus side, once your training is finished you will probably not work weekends (unless you take a job that does shifts or you get jiffed for a weekend guard duty or something) so you could get home every weekend.
You also get a good leave allowance each year but you will need to realise you will miss a lot your kids growing up stages. Skype doesn't quite cut it when they first walk or say their first word, for example.

Mind you, the way Crapita is rushing through applications you'll quite possibly be taking the little one to its first school before you get in,

There are plenty of posts on here that answer that question. Have a look around.
But, be aware, you will go through several stages of training which could last some time and you won't even be able to get home. Then, depending what you join, you could be posted somewhere a long way off so getting home regularly would be awkward.
On the plus side, once your training is finished you will probably not work weekends (unless you take a job that does shifts or you get jiffed for a weekend guard duty or something) so you could get home every weekend.
You also get a good leave allowance each year but you will need to realise you will miss a lot your kids growing up stages. Skype doesn't quite cut it when they first walk or say their first word, for example.

Mind you, the way Crapita is rushing through applications you'll quite possibly be taking the little one to its first school before you get in,
I'm thinking of going Reme Vehicle mechanic if I do go full time, I know they train at pirbright for phase 1 and lyntham (Can't spell it) for phase 2 but after that I'm not sure how they work or operate like there day to day routine.

If you value family and watching your kids grow up, the Army is a pretty crap career choice - especially when there's a war or conflict going on, courses, exercises etc.

You give up a lot just by being in the Army - and you only get to live once and your kid will only take it's first step once, talk it's first word once, start it's first day of primary school once etc - there's a good (very high) chance you'll miss some of those things.

I spent a lot of time on tours when I was in, and sometimes coming back from tours - some small children wouldn't recognise their own dads and be scared of them. Also you'll find when you're away a lot - quite a lot of married people drift apart and end up getting divorced.....that's the reality of forces life.

Just remember the Army is just a job, and there's many civilian jobs being a mechanic - where you will get to be home every night if that's what you want.

Yeah very true I want to be there for both child and partner to give them the best. Watching my child grow up is one of the things I feel full time would be bad for. Thinking more of it reserves will benefit me more at the moment and in the long run couple years time possibly go full time.

Thank you its put my mind at some ease

Issi

War Hero
I would say join the reserves and see how you like it. It's a massive commitment to join the regs, especially with a brand new baby.

Hi,
This is my first post so I dont know how this works really. But anyway I am 19yr old and wanting to join the army for many years always been a dream of mine.

But just recently found out am going to be a father to my first child. I am a proper big family man I can deal with long time away it's just as it's my first child I dont want miss anything or feel like am abandoning my Gf nd soon new born baby.

My question is do I get enough time off to go home and see them both I want to help them as much as I can. Or is it better for me to join my local reserves (4Yorks) for a few years and then go full time I dont know what I should do it's been on my mind for a while.

Thank you to any responses anything is appreciated at this time.
Me and Mrs. Specop married in 1991 when i had been in just over 3 years; we waited until I left the Regs before having kids. I was in the Reserves for a good while.

The main reason for that choice was thinking - no offence meant to anyone - that parenting is a two person thing.

Now, given that you're not married and are from the generation, or the second generation, that imagines it's OK for parents to be interchangeable with new bf, new gf, step siblings etc when you say you're a "proper big family man" what do you mean?

Is it the current version-"I'm a great dad, I drop in on the exes and see the kids and that" or the ridiculously old fashioned "I'm the dad. I live with the mum, and look after the kids we have together"?

The first is ok even if you join up. It's parenting-lite, and you are easily able to fool yourself you're doing a great job.

The second is hard graft, and probably not compatible with starting an Army career as a Reg.

Ken M

Clanker
@Cameron Jock . Go with the Reserves and see how you get on there. At 19 you've got plenty of time to see how everything pans out in the next few years - militarily and socially. As for REME, there may be a Reserve unit near you that you can phone and see if you're eligible to join them. Some units require previous experience.

See Army Reserve units - British Army Jobs

Btw, REME Phase 2 trade training is at Lyneham, Wiltshire.

Latest Threads